Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping sprites from Islands of Wakfu (XBLA)
I have been trying to extract or rip sprites from the XBox 360 game Islands of Wakfu. I have managed to find the folder within the game that the sprites are definitely in (confirmed by the file names and a screenshot on a dev's blog), but I have not been able to find any way of opening the files in order to view the sprites.

The files have a .apm extension, which is apparently the Aldus Placeable Metafile format, and they have the correct file header according to this page. Aldus Placeable Metafile is supposedly almost the same thing as a Windows Metafile (.wmf), apart from the file header, but switching the file header has made no difference.

I have tried GIMP, which is the most recommended program for this file type, but all I get is a popup that tells me the Windows Metafile is 1 pixel by 1 pixel, has a ratio in the negatives, and I can't change those settings despite them being editable. When I accept those settings, I get a popup telling me that opening the file failed because it "could not be opened for reading". I have tried many online APM and WMF editors and convertors, but they all tell me the file is not a valid format, if they accept the file at all. I have tried so-called universal file viewers. I've tried Inkscape, Noesis, libwmf (which is a saga in itself, but the short version is that libwmf refuses to open at all).

The nearest I have gotten to getting this to work is altering a file to have a WMF file header, and opening it in Photopea. However, all that did was give me a blank file.

I should probably take this as a cue to give up, but it's consuming me now. I've uploaded one of the smaller files to Dropbox in case anyone wants to look (it should be a very low poly blue butterfly).
Thanked by:
Alright, I managed to get libwmf working - it turned out it only runs on the command line. However, whenever I try to open one of the APM files with it, all I get is an error that it isn't a WMF file. Even on the files that I've changed the file header and the file extension to be WMF! I honestly don't know what else it could be looking at for the file type - I was expecting at the very least to get some sort of corrupted image out of this!

This is what happens when I use libwmf:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin>wmf2svg.exe Fx_fish_scale.apm
ERROR: ../../libwmf-0.2.8.3-src/src/meta.c (179): wmf_header_read: this isn't a wmf file

C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin>wmf2svg.exe Fx_wakfu_colibri.apm
ERROR: ../../libwmf-0.2.8.3-src/src/meta.c (179): wmf_header_read: this isn't a wmf file

C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuWin32\bin>wmf2svg.exe Fx_wakfu_colibri.wmf

Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanked by:
Did you manage to extract the sprites or gave up? I'm currently trying to do the same and have no idea how to extract the .apm sprite files.
Thanked by:
I'm afraid I've made no progress on ripping the sprites. The nearest I've managed to do is use a program called RenderDoc to get high quality images of the sprites from in game - although the colours came out really weird, and I have no idea why.
Thanked by: