Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[TUTORIAL] How to Rip Luigi's Mansion 1 Models
Hello everyone, ScratchU90 here, with a tutorial on how to rip Luigi's Mansion 1 models. I want to make this public knowledge, so every Luigi's Mansion model on Models Resource can be updated from stretched, boneless OBJs, to high quality DAEs with bones! 
So, without further ado, let's get started.

You will need:
Lunaboy Rarc Tools https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1024/
MDLConverter 0.9.95 https://github.com/KillzXGaming/MdlConverter/releases/
Dolphin https://dolphin-emu.org/
and an LM1 rom
Step 1: Go in Dolphin and right click the LM1 rom, click properties. You'll see yourself in a new window, click the filesystem tab.
Step 2: You will see some folders, click the Models folder, right click an SZP of your choice, click extract, and extract it anywhere
Step 3: Drag your SZP file extracted from LM1 and drop it in ArcExtract (from Lunaboy RARC Tools)
Step 4: Once it is uncompressed from SZP go to the newly created folder, go to Model, drag the MDL file, and drop it in ModelConverter (from MDLConverter 0.9.95)
Step 5: Enjoy your DAE model!

Thanks to LuigiLament, Kibi75, and lolshock64!
[Image: 857f3319e0ca6d3c5a184f3e0abddf7acdcc170c.png]
Youch, Luigi!
Thank you for tuto! Im kinda new in these things, so my question may sound stupid. Where can I find the room models? I mean for example the ball room. Should I search it in the models? I mean model folder from the filesystem tab Smile basically my question is if every 3D model, including stages/rooms, can be found in model folder from filesystem tab.
Thanked by:
Yes, it's in the models folder.
Youch, Luigi!
Thanked by: Mamiya
(08-09-2021, 09:16 PM)Mamiya Wrote: Thank you for tuto! Im kinda new in these things, so my question may sound stupid. Where can I find the room models? I mean for example the ball room. Should I search it in the models? I mean model folder from the filesystem tab Smile basically my question is if every 3D model, including stages/rooms, can be found in model folder from filesystem tab.

The room geometry is actually in the /Iwamoto/map2 folder. After extracting them from .arc you will need a different viewer to look at or export the .bin maps. Here is one that works for pretty much all rooms, but you can only view them, not export to a usable format. If you want to export them you can use an earlier version that doesn't exist anymore but it has worse compatibility and some rooms are broken. Here's a link to download all tools necessary (including the 0.2 version that's capable of exporting models). Basic security precautions should be taken when running the linked tools, as the original source has long since vanished and these may have been modified by a 3rd party.

I have already ripped and converted all rooms myself, so if you don't want to do it yourself you can just download them here. This does not include the dynamic models from this tutorials, you will need to rip them yourself for now.
Demolisher 0.2 exports only objs, no accompanying mtl file so the models do not have any textures; The texture information is there however, just in the form of vertex groups inside the obj file. You will need to generate mtls yourself if you want textures.... Or wait a few weeks until I'm done doing it as I plan to upload them to the models resource. This might take a few weeks though.
Thanked by: Mamiya
Alright, so this works like a charm except that I don't think it gives me any textures. How would I do that?
Thanked by:
It should give you textures. Are you extracting unused models?
Youch, Luigi!
Thanked by:
(09-29-2021, 02:55 PM)ScratchU90 Wrote: It should give you textures. Are you extracting unused models?

I should be extracting the proper models, I definitely tried Spark and even Bowser. Not sure where the issue is.
EDIT: I literally just tried "door.spz" and it totally has its textures and everything
Thanked by:
how do we open the szp files? I am trying to open them on my Mac so I can view the files and upload stuff to vg rescource the one I. the link is an exe and I can't use that on my Mac can you help?
Thanked by:
It works! Very helpful tutorial thank you!
Thanked by: