Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Help with capturing game backgrounds
Question 
I’m looking for the best way to get clean captures of game backgrounds (mainly from fighting games), without playable characters and UI, and I’m hoping this would be a good place to ask for help. Especially to see what the most efficient ways would be, and what limits I have to work within.

I’ve tried Winkawaks, and while definitely servicable, I wonder if there’s some other emulator or software that would allow me to keep playing the game/still have it running while UI & Character sprites are disabled, so that I could simply record the screen, rather than having to go frame by frame to capture the background? As it would definitely speed up the workflow for what I’m attempting (though I understand if it’s not possible, I just want to make sure I’m not doing stuff the hard way if I don’t have to). Also, is there a way to freely move the “camera” across the screen, to allow me to capture the upper part of the screen that isn’t normally fully visible? (be it in Winkawaks or another emulator?)

I’m also wondering if there’s emulators that can do similar things for consoles as well, and not just CPS1/2 & NeoGeo? I’m specifically thinking of NES, SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, N64 & Gamecube; maybe even other arcade hardware like Naomi. From my research it seems like there’s a GBA emulator that can do it for GB,GBC & GBA, but I didn’t really find any info for the rest of them.

Lastly, are there emulators other than Dolphin that allow you to move the camera in 3D, to capture footage of the environment from different camera angles? (and ideally while disabling UI elements). And although I get this is a longshot, is it possible to disable sprite layers and move the camera in Steam games as well? Or maybe even just with games on certain engines, like Unreal Engine? (i can imagine it varies wildly by game, but it doesn’t hurt to ask).

I’m sorry if it’s too many questions, or if some aren’t relevant to the sprite section, I just wanted to be as thorough as possible from the get go. I’m appreciative of any help I can get.
Thanked by:
PSX: PSX-VRAM (There is an updated version of the original tool by Agemo)
SNES: vSNES

vSNES works with ZSNES quicksaves, just open SceneViewer/MemViewer/PalViewer after you loaded the quicksave. Most important is the SceneViewer, it usually shows you the whole background.
PSX-VRAM doesn't neccessarily show you the entire bg, but rather its components. In contrast to vSNES, you have to change compression by pressing buttons (0,1 / I guess) and use WASD to search/select palettes. You also have to rename quicksave extensions to .gz and then unpack then with Winrar, then drag the file into the VRAM window. Of course, controls and quicksave renaming could be obsolete since this is a version from December 2020 and I haven't tried it out yet.

I only have experience with figthing games on these two platforms, therefore I know nothing about the rest.
Ripping Tutorial for PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-41637.html
Thanked by: C.H.R.I.S
(08-03-2021, 09:46 AM)Barack Obama Wrote: PSX: PSX-VRAM (There is an updated version of the original tool by Agemo)
SNES: vSNES

vSNES works with ZSNES quicksaves, just open SceneViewer/MemViewer/PalViewer after you loaded the quicksave. Most important is the SceneViewer, it usually shows you the whole background.
PSX-VRAM doesn't neccessarily show you the entire bg, but rather its components. In contrast to vSNES, you have to change compression by pressing buttons (0,1 / I guess) and use WASD to search/select palettes. You also have to rename quicksave extensions to .gz and then unpack then with Winrar, then drag the file into the VRAM window. Of course, controls and quicksave renaming could be obsolete since this is a version from December 2020 and I haven't tried it out yet.

I only have experience with figthing games on these two platforms, therefore I know nothing about the rest.

Thanks, that’s still a lot of help to get me started when it comes to the Playstation and SNES. I really appreciate it a lot!
Thanked by: