Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Chrome Chimera (Ultimate Chimera edit)
Here's a little edit of the Ultimate Chimera sprite from Mother 3, called "Chrome Chimera", by me. All the new attacks were put together by me, and the explosion came from the Metal Slug explosion SFX sheet ripped by Gussprint.

[Image: ChromeChimeraSprite-2.png]

I was going for a two-tone look, but I think the purple makes the black areas very hard to notice, and easily mistaken for shading/shadow.

Here's one of his new attacks in action:
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp336...himera.gif

This is my second post here, because I accidentally posted this on the wrong board first. XD
Thanked by:
I suggest you don't take different sprite styles and put them together (Metal Slug and Mother 3 doesn't work for example), but that you do it in the original style intended. It would be better if the explosion/flame attack was blended to the Chimera, because for now it is underneath: try and give the impression that it's coming out of its mouth.
The blure effects look strange next to the sharp sprites: personally, I would not mix sprite art and Photoshop, so either keep it completely sprite or go completely Photoshop.
I would also try and make the skull in Mother 3 style: maybe take an NPC head and edit it into a skull.
The tail attacks don't look very smooth, I suggest that you try and make it more fluid by make the tail's shape more regular, and the frames should have good transitions.
If I haven't mentioned anything else it's because there aren't any problems with it. Oh, and if you could put a link with the original sprite/spritesheet, it would help making a better comparison Smile
Ah, one last thing: everything looks a bit blurred: is it intentional or is it the image hoster?
Anyway, I'd like to see more custom and less edits :p
Good luck with making this better!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
Yeah, I did notice that it's a bit blurry.. I don't know why. More custom? Less edit? Nooo thank you. I'm no spriter. And yes, the tail
attacks are horrid. My real interest was the re-coloring, not the attacks. Here's a comparison:

[Image: ChimeraComparison.png]

The resizing was done in paint, to avoid blurring and smoothing. Thanks for the tips.
Thanked by:
(01-24-2009, 06:47 PM)glue Wrote: More custom? Less edit? Nooo thank you. I'm no spriter.
Well, I can't say anyone here is interested in seeing recolors. If you want decent crits you have to attempt something that requires more than swapping pink for purple.
Thanked by:
Why is called "Chrome"?
Mew2King Wrote:they should make a cereal called jiggly puffs
Thanked by:
(01-24-2009, 06:47 PM)glue Wrote: More custom? Less edit? Nooo thank you. I'm no spriter.
either way, edits take 0 talent to do, and no one really likes to see them. recolors are even worse bro
Thanked by:
Well, I never took a claim to talent, I denied I had any. And I know you're being sarcastic, but I did alot more than swap pink for purple. I just thought It looked neat, and that this might be the place to post it were I to post it anywhere.
Thanked by:
A lot of people start with recolors, but don't avoid trying. It doesn't matter if your not a spriter, you should at least try. You might like it.
Thanked by:
This forum is more for intermediate to experienced help than for beginners' help. So if anyone posts recolors or simple edits, expect to catch some flak for it here.

Anyways experiment with things, glue. You won't know what you're capable of until you try. And when we give feedback to whatever you seek comments and criticism on, you can then use what you can out of said feedback to practice and work on your skills. You won't become a spriting master overnight, but you will see improvements over time. As long as you have the will and patience for spriting, you will become a better spriter, glue.

Instead of trying to edit the Ultimate Chimera, you could invent an enemy for Mother 3 from scratch (this means you create it without using other sprites as a base).
Ngamer01's Portal - Updates whenever.
Thanked by:
(01-24-2009, 10:50 PM)1up Wrote:
either way, edits take 0 talent to do, and no one really likes to see them. recolors are even worse bro
I don't agree about what you said about edits. Not all edits are shitty, and just like everything else, you need to look in the right place for them. But, most of the time, you see mediocre edits.
But yeah, recolours... It's a start, but you should go on to something less boring and more audacious.
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Thanked by:
Cool recolor, bro.
Thanked by:
I'm not new to spriting, at all. I'm just really bad at it Big Grin

I'll continue to try, but my real interest is in animating them, which is really easy, just extremely time consuming. Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: Isn't it against the rules to post sprites of our own made-up characters?
Thanked by:
(01-25-2009, 08:46 PM)glue Wrote: Edit: Isn't it against the rules to post sprites of our own made-up characters?
It's against the rules to submit sprites of your own characters. It's perfectly fine to post them in Sprite Discussion.
Thanked by:
Oh, my bad. Also, thanks for ripping the Ultimate Chimera sprite, I'ts come in handy quite alot.
Thanked by:
(01-25-2009, 09:43 PM)glue Wrote: Oh, my bad. Also, thanks for ripping the Ultimate Chimera sprite, I'ts come in handy quite alot.
Actually, Tonberry2k ripped most of them, not me. I just ripped a few of the sprites that he had missed.
Thanked by: