Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Terrible English dubs of video games
People like to argue about subs and dubs in anime, but video games don't really get the same treatment, despite a lot of games having English dubs. So, with that said, I wanted to know: what dubs do you guys think are terrible?

For me, I'm gonna have to go with KOF: Maximum Impact 1 and 2. English dubs of SNK games aren't really good (for example, KOF: MI 1 and 2, Art of Fighting 2, and KOF XII/XIII), but Maximum Impact's dubs stand out to me as particularly bad. I'll list some examples.

• Iori's English VA is very unfitting and he ends up sounding like a middle-aged man instead of... not that (KOF XII Iori's English VA did better, but ultimately overdid it a bit on the edge factor) A lot of other characters have voices that don't quite fit. (Kyo and Rock Howard, for example)
  • Yuri sounds like a young kid, which highlights how her VA isn't providing any form of energy to her lines.
  • This one is a gripe I have with Maximum Impact 2 specifically since it deals with one of the characters introduced in that game: Fio's VA sounds like she is trying to come off as "cute" but fails and ends up just sounding like she's stuck in a permanent ear-grating falsetto.
  • This is a minor complaint, but I still have problems with it: the fact that all of the Japanese lines are translated, including most of the attack names. I dunno, but to me it just feels wrong to hear "What's wrong?" instead of "Doushita?" when Iori performs his Yami Barai attack.

That's basically it for me, since most of my other complaints boil down to "VA not putting any effort into their performance" or "VA doesn't fit the character." So, how about you guys?
Did you know that I am showcasing my custom-made sprites? Check it out!
Thanked by:
The most famous "Terrible English Dub"  in a video game I could think of was Mega Man 8's English Dub. It's on par with Tenchi Muyo!'s English dub imo
Fēng shén yīng jié chuán OST
My Mario RPG goals
Friend Code for Super Bomberman R-2: 04-288-8899
Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6972-0414-2706
[Image: Forums_Icon_For_Pixiv.png]
Thanked by:
(02-13-2021, 07:31 AM)Shin FireyPaperMario Wrote: The most famous "Terrible English Dub"  in a video game I could think of was Mega Man 8's English Dub. It's on par with Tenchi Muyo!'s English dub imo

Ah, good ol' "Doctah Wahwee" dub. Truly a classic.
Did you know that I am showcasing my custom-made sprites? Check it out!
Thanked by: DogToon64
I'm just gonna bring up Chaos Wars. Apparently it was dubbed by the family of someone who worked on the game, and it really shows.
Thanked by:
For me, Fire Emblem, Persona and Bravely Default 2 English voices sucks
Thanked by:
Last Alert on the PC Engine CD/TurboGrafx CD. Outside of the Mega Man 8 example and perhaps Chaos Wars, it makes the ones above sound like masterpieces. Guy Kazama sounds decent enough if iffy but it is the other characters. One sounds absolutely bored reading the lines from a script and when you get to the first boss to save Spartan you get this:

"The stealth bamber is at the back of the factory". It's the unfitting goofy voice and all you can really do is laugh. Strangely enough in the Japanese original it is opposite since there are plenty of known voice actors Guy Kazama was voiced by the same person as Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star.

There are plenty of late 1980s-1990s games that fit the bill where they get whatever office staff that they can find to dub Japanese games into English. Just can't think of any others at the moment that are as bad.
Thanked by: