Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mobius Final Fantasy Ripping - General thread
So I'm doing this mostly as an update for myself, and also as a way to categorize and bring together everything that I can find into one thread. I hope this isn't considered a necropost since I am touching on some older posts around the forums and things of such. I'll try to go through in detail as to what's going on, and I ask that people add in related information as they see fit. I'll start to update this as I can and I plan on working on this project from here on out (it looks like most people working on it in the past are now inactive with it. Though I have yet to ask around specifically. I could be very wrong). I will update this post with new links as new things come in.

Mobius had shut down back in June for the global servers (March for the Japan servers)- this means that you can no longer download the game. Unfortunately I had lost my copy with hard drive failure and I was dumb enough to not make a backup (that I have yet to find (please PM me if you still have a full copy, that would help me tremendously)).

Fortunately though, it looks like people over at https://www.reddit.com/r/MobiusFF/ have some headway on the game in archived posts. I plan on trying to get into contact with some of them and go through their work, since it seems like not much has been uploaded to The VG Resource in general. It would be nice to get permission to use their dumps/rips, but for right now I am using them on a sort of basis to figure out what needs to be done still once I get my hands on a copy of the full game. I have grabbed the downloads from This Reddit post to scan through. It looks like not much work has been done since the initial post (unless I am missing something major). I am more than likely going to go to the OPs of the threads and ask if I can help finish their work, since they have already done a lot of the ripping. I think it would be a huge time saver doing this.

To summarize that reddit post I mentioned and what the downloads look like :
  • Card art is mostly there and in order- there are a few pieces out of order, and all files are named along the lines of "Id_XXXXX_Card_Atlas", more than likely from ripping them out. Not much headway has been made on naming these based on the archives, but the Mobius Final Fantasy Wiki  seems to be mostly in order. It would be simply scraping through the wiki and matching art to names.
  • Region maps, icons, avatars, and other materials are in mixed states. There's a lot to sort through still from this section of the dump.
  • Sound (music) is un-categorized, and mostly undocumented it seems, so it would require a lot of going through game play videos to try and figure out what goes to what event.
  • Sound (effects and dialogue) seems to be missing documentation for the most part, and there's a ton of files to go through. Play through videos would more than likely be a must since testing is impossible due to the game being closed. The Mobius Youtube may be a big help with this task. Zirothos also dumped this, so it will be useful to go through both and see if there was any categorization.
  • Story blurbs seem to have little documentation besides this reddit post, and would likely follow similarly in the steps of sound (music).
  • Model rips have been done by https://steamcommunity.com/id/Staren41/ and appended to the thread. Unfortunately these are not in any particular order, and are obj files, so rigging may have to be done manually if this dump ends up being the only one I can get.
A general summary of the overall progress (from what I have seen in my digging) :
It looks like the general progress, while mostly dead, is decent. Most of the assets have been ripped by multiple users, but no one has really categorized or identified files publicly and brought them together in an archive. My 2 cents is that the largest roadblock for this game right now is the time dedication it would take to sort through all of this. On top of it, as I had mentioned before, the game is in an unplayable state due to the end of service.

Action plan for myself / What I plan to work on with this title :
  • I plan on doing at least the card art and uploading it as an archive. It's amazing art and I would love to see a proper archive of it, so I'm going to do it. The wiki has most if not all of the cards on it, so it would be a matter of going through and fixing the file names to those of what they are titled on the wiki. The major difference between the wiki and the art that I currently have is that there is no card border displayed on these works, and it looks like this rip is HD (unsure of the comparison between android/IOS and PC qualities). All cards in this rip seem to have blank pixels on their right side to make it square aspect ratio, but that could be fixed in a batch job to be just the art.
  • I would like to help document the story blurbs, and cry as I do it. I really loved the story of this game.
I also wanna just say thank you to everyone that has worked with this game to rip assets and preserve it. It's one of my favorite games and I'm grateful for all of the work that has been done so far.
So what IF?
Thanked by: