Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Wario in the style of Super Mario Advance 1
Hey guys. So I started creating these edits of sprites from Wario's Woods to resemble the shading style from Super Mario Advance 1; I aim to recreate the entire moveset from that game applicable to Wario. I chose Wario because I found that his sprites in Wario's Woods seemed to be able to fit within the world created in Super Mario Bros. 2. Here is what I have so far:

[Image: Wario-WIP.png]

Keep in mind, these sprites have LARGELY been edited from previously ripped images. I am not trying to plagiarize anyone's work, so I will explain below which sprites I edited to create these.

Wario from Wario's Woods (NES); ripped by Dabren and Severe (my base sprites is LARGELY based off the bottom running animations)
Wario from Wario Land I; ripped by Perseus (Wario's front facing animation is currently a recoloring/shading of this. I aim to retool it further to greater fit the Super Mario Advance style)
Wario from Mario Golf GBC; ripped by TheWispGuy (used as a base for the head of the detailed "Choose a Player!" Wario sprites)
Mario from Super Mario Advance; ripped by DoKoCo (each frame will reflect these sprites)

---

I'm not attempting to recreate the wheel here; Just looking for some feedback and constructive criticism! I haven't made sprites in YEARS and just wanna dip my toes back in the water!
Thanked by:
This is a really great start!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: Solid SOAP
(08-13-2020, 08:32 AM)Ton Wrote: This is a really great start!

Thanks! Any feedback on the sprites? I want to give them their own identity away from their roots from Wario's Woods/Wario Land, while still keeping that SMB2/SMA style. I'm gonna work on em later today.

Also, am I in the right section of the forum? I feel like this should be moved to the editing section, haha.
Thanked by:
It would be fine if you use a darkless black, awesome sheet
Thanked by:
(08-25-2020, 10:33 AM)101MarioChallenge Wrote: It would be fine if you use a darkless black, awesome sheet

Could you clarify what you mean by darkless black?

I added some more sprites to the original sheet; please tell me what you guys think!

[Image: Wario-WIP.png]

The Wario "Choose a Player" sprites are edits of similar sprites from Wario's Woods and Mario Golf GBC.

https://www.spriters-resource.com/resour...1598168231 (original Mario Golf sprites used for reference)
Thanked by: Ton
The climbing sprites look a little weird and could use a little improving, but other than that, it looks pretty good
If you can't handle the heat.
You can't handle the Neutron Style.
Thanked by:
(08-27-2020, 10:56 AM)DogToon64 Wrote: The climbing sprites look a little weird and could use a little improving, but other than that, it looks pretty good

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think can be improved about them?

Looking at the hat, it almost appears that the head is flat. I'll use that as a jumping off point.
Thanked by:
If the climbing sprites were like this Mario climbing sprite here:     
It might make Wario's climbing sprites look better
If you can't handle the heat.
You can't handle the Neutron Style.
Thanked by:
(08-27-2020, 03:53 PM)DogToon64 Wrote: If the climbing sprites were like this Mario climbing sprite here: 
It might make Wario's climbing sprites look better

I see what you mean, but my Wario is meant to resemble animation frames from SMB2/Mario Advance, not SMW.

[Image: climb.png]

As you can see, Mario has more flailing legs so I tried to have Wario's resemble that aspect of the frame.
Thanked by: Ton