Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
BOTW SPM Maps?
I'm currently attempting to replicate Breath of the Wild's shader inside of Blender to be used to make in-game-style renders or animations using Eevee. I've been somewhat successful in replicating the style, and I'd like to make it as accurate to the game as possible by using all of the available texture maps, but I'm having trouble figuring out what a specific image map is used for.

Every model I've downloaded so far has had 3 separate texture maps:

ALB
NRM
SPM

The ALB and NRM are obviously the albedo map and normal map respectively, but I'm confused as to what SPM stands for.

Some of these SPM maps have color, and tend to be a combination of magenta, green, and blue; however, some are instead simply grayscale and seemingly have shading data in them, and are slightly transparent.

Examples of these can be found in the base Link model that was ripped and posted here from the Wii U.

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated!
Thanked by:
I believe the SPM maps are specular maps.
Thanked by:
(05-10-2020, 02:40 PM)killercracker Wrote: I believe the SPM maps are specular maps.

That's what I thought at first, but I have no idea how to implement the colored SPM maps.
Plus, what is the transparency for?
Thanked by:
If the SPM maps are colored you could have a map where one of the RGBA channels attributes to a certain map with the specular map maybe being one of them. The use of each channel is user defined, so if this is the case you have to do some experimentation to find out what each channel is for or do some googling and hope somebody has done the research already.
Thanked by:
they also have pink AO, so it's most likely to have a higher value range without increasing the bitdepth
Thanked by:
is it possible to rip the shaders?
Thanked by:
(11-23-2021, 02:42 PM)epictheroy3 Wrote: is it possible to rip the shaders?

unfortunately, probably not
Thanked by:
turns out that by looking at each channel individually:
red varies a lot
green seems to be either at 255 or 0
blue is almost always at 128

and by that, i can conclude:
red: glossiness (inverted roughness)
green: metalness
blue: specular

greyscale specular maps seem to be glossiness btw, and alpha is the same as all other channels
Thanked by: