Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How to rip models from PS1 games?
I haven't found any tutorial specific to it here and anywhere.
I use Linux, so things would be easier for me if it's taken in consideration.
Thanked by:
If PSXPrev works, you're good to go.
If it doesn't, you need to manually find and extract the models from the ROM. This is tough and there's no agreed-upon workflow, but it can be done.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: Aquatically404
(01-22-2020, 07:09 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: If PSXPrev works, you're good to go.
If it doesn't, you need to manually find and extract the models from the ROM. This is tough and there's no agreed-upon workflow, but it can be done.
My PSXPrev didn't find any model in the bin file. Where do I go from here? Trying with another file downloaded from another place will solve mt problem? Where do I start trying to extract the models from the bin file itself?
Thanked by:
(01-22-2020, 11:37 AM)DyeffersonAz Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 07:09 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: If PSXPrev works, you're good to go.
My PSXPrev didn't find any model in the bin file. Where do I go from here? Trying with another file downloaded from another place will solve mt problem? Where do I start trying to extract the models from the bin file itself?

if PSXPrev doesn't work, a typical workflow is to open NO$PSX's VRAM viewer and find the polygons you want, observing their bytes in the small text pane and trying to find the first few in the ISO with a hex editor. Mind you, the no$psx text pane's bytes have their endianness flipped, so if you see, say:
789ABCDE

You gotta search for
DEBC9A87

or omitting the command, so just
DEBC9A87

It's also wise to keep nocash' psx docs open at all times near you for reference.

There's no guarantee you'll find a match, but if you do, that's probably the model data in question. If not, there is probably compression involved, and you must first crack that.
Cracking a compression scheme is a whole another story, but if you know what you're doing, you can do it. I have personally cracked multiple compressions even without a debugger, so in many cases just eyeballing the data can spark an a-ha moment so you can start decompressing (or just dicking around with a preliminary decompressor) right away.

can i ask what game you have in question?
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: