Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Community Project: Super Tempo
Howdy Spriters Resource users, I'd like to pitch a community project to rip Super Tempo for the Sega Saturn, a title I'm sure many of us are familiar with.

Super Tempo is a beautiful platformer and the third entry in the short lived Tempo series, following Tempo on the Sega 32X, and Tempo Jr. for the Game Gear. Developed by RED Entertainment (known today for the Sakura Wars and Record of Agarest War series), this entry wouldn't see a release outside of Japan and has become something of an obscure title.

[Image: zj1Q40m.gif]

I'm asking for the community's help on this one because while I prefer to manage projects on my own, this title has continued to be pushed back by other projects I've worked on. It's a game that's a great resource to pixel artists and animators alike, and I feel it deserves some focus. To that end, I've submitted a couple of sheets both large and small which should prove my own interest in seeing this game ripped. I'm more than happy to provide setup and help for anyone interested in working on this, and I've even gone so far as to complete the game and compile a master list of save state data for all the stages and bosses (more on that later).

[Image: suoD45W.gif]

Getting to the actual ripping, the Sega Saturn is fairly easy to work with, although seasoned sprite rippers can expect the usual tedium that comes with compiling sprites. The Yabause emulator features a series of built-in tools for viewing both sprite (VDP1) and background (VDP2) data.

[Image: WjPSmE7.png]  [Image: LBuQYfz.png]

Using VDP1 for example will allow you to cycle through all the displayed sprites on-screen, and save them individually as .bmp image files. 

[Image: D1XLLH2.png]

From there you'll have to compile them into the on-screen image manually. PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SCREENSHOT RIP THIS GAME. Aside from being an amateur ripping technique, the game has subtle issues with displaying the graphics at the wrong resolution, causing misalignment and other errors. The screen should only ever be used as a reference if you're having difficulties compiling sprites.

[Image: fZzktBG.png]  [Image: 3E6QNCC.png]

Compiling sprites is often easy, but occasionally Super Tempo will feature sprites that layer into other sections to save on graphical space. In the example below, you can see how Super Tempo's hand, knee, and foot sprites share some of the data that's already found in other sprites.

[Image: l3Tu7L9.png]  [Image: Bl0wKLP.png]
Yabause also presents a small issue with ripping in that it only includes a Frame Pause function, and not a Frame Advance function like most emulators. Normally this means you'd have to be quick on hitting the Pause and Play buttons, but this issue is mitigated to some degree by Super Tempo's incredible pause feature that works in almost the entire game, cutscenes included! It's not the perfect solution but hitting start on the frames you need is vastly easier than gliding your hand on the mouse around the window and praying you're quick enough.

Discussing what I mentioned earlier, if anyone is looking for help either setting up or ripping from this title, don't hesitate to fire me a PM. As mentioned before, I've completed the game and created a list of save data that can be found here. It should be easy to figure out where everything goes, but I've thrown together a small readme in case anyone has trouble.

[Image: iTIrhja.gif][Image: iTIrhja.gif]

I'm looking forward to seeing who's interested in working on this project!

-PROJECT STATUS-

Playable Characters:
[IN-PROGRESS] Tempo
[COMPLETE] Katy

Enemies:
[COMPLETE] Tadpole
[COMPLETE] Frog
[IN-PROGRESS] Bat
[COMPLETE] Mecha-Tempo

Bosses:
[COMPLETE] Red Riding Hood

Miscellaneous:
[COMPLETE] Ghost Donkey
[COMPLETE] Items
Thanked by:
You can also use TiledGGD by using save states. And then go to 4pp, find the graphics, and there you go. if you want to find the palettes easily, don't look at the 128 x 128 screen. To find the palettes, go to 16pp on the big screen, and theres you palettes.
[Image: Kaneko-Wikia.png]
Thanked by:
(09-16-2019, 07:43 PM)AFruitaday! Wrote: You can also use TiledGGD by using save states. And then go to 4pp, find the graphics, and there you go. if you want to find the palettes easily, don't look at the 128 x 128 screen. To find the palettes, go to 16pp on the big screen, and theres you palettes.

I'm unfamiliar with TiledGGD, is there a comprehensive tutorial on it?

I have a lot of questions based on your instructions. Is opening a save state as easy as File > Open Graphics and selecting the save? Does 4pp stand for 4 Bit per pixel in Image > Format? Etc.
Thanked by:
Download tiledggd first, then, save you save state and drag your file to the program, it should work. Yes, 4pp means 4 bits per pixel, 16 colors.
Thanked by:
(09-16-2019, 08:31 PM)AFruitaday! Wrote: Download tiledggd first, then, save you save state and drag your file to the program, it should work. Yes, 4pp means 4 bits per pixel, 16 colors.

Hmmm, that's what I thought. I gave that a try and while different data is certainly showing up from different save files, it's far to small to make anything out. I'm using the specifications you mentioned (I think), but again I'm totally ignorant to this program.

[Image: nfPVjq3.png]

Realized after I snapped this the palette is set to a different file, however changing it to the selected graphic file didn't give me any better results.
Thanked by:
Whoa, this game is gorgeous. You've done an amazing job so far.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Abandoning this due to a lack of interest from anyone.

I'll leave this page up for those who find it useful and will continue ripping at my own pace between other projects.
Thanked by:
Don't abandon the project. You've done a great job so far, and I'd definitely like to see more.

I think the problem is that the boards aren't very active, and Tempo is a very obscure series. I hope you stick with the project!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
I'll rip sprites from the Tempo series, I guess.
Thanked by: Ton