Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Critique My Novice Sprite Sheet from Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Hey all,

I've appreciated Spriters-Resource for a long time and used hundreds of sprite sheets here for Perler bead creations over the years. I finally got into modding Gameboy Colors and snagged a cart dumper along the way, so I decided I'd finally try to contribute to this site. Hope I can be of help.

I noticed the Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 page is missing some sprites and has some sheets with backgrounds that share the same color as the sprites.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Got ahold of a couple emulators (BGB and VisualBoyAdvance) and read the GB/GBC ripping guide.
2. Downloaded Animation Shop 3 and made a sheet.

This is what I've gathered so far from years of using these sheets and attempting to make one or two of my own:

1. Use a different color for the background, typically one that is obnoxiously different from your sprite colors.
2. If your sprite is the same color as the background of your game, change the sprite color in the edit box of your emulator, and remove the background/foreground when recording/ripping.

This sheet of the first boss (Spiked Koopa/Spiked Pirate) of Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 should have all of the sprites he uses. I just wanted to make sure this was clear, legible, and all-encompassing. Is there a better layout I could do? I love the GBC version so I included that color scheme as well, but if that just makes things more confusing I can easily remove it.

I noticed there are a few sheets missing on the Wario Land page, and I'd like to get to working on those. I have a Standard Wario sheet I'm working on but it's kind of bloated at the moment. I'll do some more editing and go from there.

I've already got a small stack of old Acclaim GB and GBC games I'm gonna try to get some sprite rips of that are missing from the library, but I wanted to start with a game I really love to see if I could actually pull it off.

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated, and I'm looking forward to contributing.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by: Ton
This looks good enough to be published, it is simple and I don't seem to see any mistakes.
Thanked by: