Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Extracting Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm (PC) character models from their .mdl?
Hello there.

First of all, new user here, so please forgive me if this thread is in the wrong category. I'm not sure if it belongs here or more fitting as a Request thread.

This thread is basically my last resort regarding my effort trying to do this. Considering how obscure and mediocre this game is, the unlikeliness of this bringing any interest is very high.

Anyway, some background info. I only have the Windows version of this game. I don't have an Xbox to get the XBLA version. I'm suddenly interested in ripping the 3D models of all 8 characters seen in-game, but no matter what I do, I can't get the models (but I did get the textures). Here are my attempts to get them:
  1. I tried the Ninja Ripper route, since I had some success with it in an earlier PC game. But here's the catch: The game can only be launched on Windows XP or Windows 7. Any other Windows version will not work. So, I ran it in VM. Without the ripper, the game works fine, but using Ninja Ripper on it only results in "d3dcompiler_x.dll load error. Install last Direct". The error came from the ripper itself, but I can't find/Google anything that discusses this error. The error happens on both Windows versions, both x86 and x64 architectures each. Note that the error isn't thrown when I try to run Ninja Ripper on my Windows 10, but then again it's probably because the game can't be launched there anyway.
  2. I read on the show's Wiki that the game consists of (apparently) a Half Life package among other things. I assume it's the single .wad file that appears after installation. Out of curiosity, I tried extracting with WinRAR. It works. Got the files. Got the textures (.dds). But the models are in .mdl, so I can't see what they are in common 3D model viewers. I tried specific model viewers like Noesis, (original, Jed's, HL Tools) HLMV, and Crowbar, but none of them can read the .mdl. Later, I read an unanswered Discussion message on tcrf.net which mentions that, as it turns out, the .mdl files aren't the Valve ones.
The character model files: http://www.filedropper.com/characters_7
The textures (except Lumpy's, which is in the folder above) that can be found in the Common folder: http://www.filedropper.com/textures_12

Please forgive me for the bad choice of download site. I just need something quick for now.

It would be nice if there is a way to solve this model ripping problem. Preferably .obj files as the proper output. I'll appreciate your help. Once again, if I made mistakes in my post, I apologize.
Thank you for reading.
Thanked by:
I have converted it, but the texture map was lost in the way, so you have to replace the textures on the model
Thanked by: