Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tomba!/Tombi! sprites
Long story short, our beloved Random Talking Bush ripped these Tomba sprites many years ago. I asked him about it and he told me he used a VRAM viewer to grab just an assortment of sprites from whatever was in VRAM page 0.
This sheet, while better than nothing, is incomplete and the colors are a bit off, so the boys and I at the Tomba Club Discord looked into it and cracked the Tomba! (or Tombi! for all you eurobros there) sprite format some time ago.

There are numerous unused and never before seen sprites across the versions and in the case of the demo discs, even unfinished sprites, something seldom seen in any game really.
You can find the folder here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

The folder naming convention is region_version_type where region can be Japanese or NTSC*, version can be retail or demo disc and type can be "Normal" for typical "2.5D" gameplay sprites and "Map" for the isometric town/village scenes.
Inside any folder there are three additional folders of which RLE and DRI can be ignored; only the PNG folder really matters.

I need some help assembling a sheet. The problems I'm facing are:
1. How to minimise redundancy while keeping consistency? There are many sprites shared between versions and regions but also many unique ones.
2. How to minimise sheet size while keeping sprite anchor point? The individual PNGs are now 128x128 and they've got a lot of padding, so to speak. The must be a way to mathematically figure out the best crop amount, but it must be for all the sprites.
3. Related to point 1, but how to arrange the sprites (is it necessary?) so it's obvious which sprites are unused/unfinished or which are Japanese/US or normal/map. Should there be two sheets? Maybe four?

thanks guys

*) PAL version had nothing interesting going on so it would be redundant to include its sprites.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: