Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ShadowMan's art showcase room
I won't post here often but I sometimes like to do my own sprites when not ripping them from some ZX Spectrum game or a German handheld console.

Let's start this off with that one guy from Region Locked's first episode: Takamaru!
[Image: unknown.png]
This is the "ZX Spectrum" art style with the super simplistic graphics (and shoutouts to Sonicfan32 for figuring out how to rip raw sprites in Tile Molester)
Usually I like drawing sprites completely from scratch instead of editing off the originals, but I went for the authentic "Budget ZX Spectrum Port" of the developers having to convert the sprites rather than make new ones to save time.

I won't put this on the customs section until I've gotten some feedback on them to see if they're "good enough".
Thanked by:
If I have one complaint about the design; it is difficult to see where the head ends and where the clothing begins with the black and white sprites. Perhaps a black pixel or two to separate them might help? Otherwise, I would say it's a fine effort.
Thanked by: shadowman44
[Image: WdcXdAK.png]
Tweaked it just a tad, is it better?
Thanked by:
I would say yes. Even if it's not 'every' frame, you can still see some better separation.
Thanked by:
[Image: 3VJLiSg.png]
Hey ya'll it's me again. I've been working on this for some time now and I've been needing to get some feedback on it
The one with the green box is a WIP, it's the second frame to the "climbing" animation. And yes the swimming frames are missing because I haven't really figured out how to draw them.
Thanked by:
Ah, shit! Here we go again...
It's been awhile since I posted on this thread huh? I haven't done much but I figured I would show off some stuff that I don't think I'll get done for a long time
Dr. Social from Master of Darkness, a Castlevania clone on the Sega Master System & Game Gear... in Castlevania style. I'm wondering what palette works the best for the character and also what I need to improve/touch up on. 

[Image: ZpO3SSk.png]
Edgar/Edger in Super Mario Maker style, I know I have Goku being worked on but I thought I would not finish another one.

[Image: aI4YngX.png] Boomerang flower in the classic SMB1 NES style, don't expect it to get on the site anytime soon.

[Image: fXf5tZv.png]
Recreations of the North American boxart "sprites" of Metroid. I had a lot of fun making these though I don't think I'll do any expanded concepts.

[Image: MDX6FGg.png]
Same thing with Mario here, if anyone wants to make a fully fledged sheet then by all means do so. That would be a super neat custom!
Thanked by: Ton
(08-23-2019, 03:45 AM)shadowman44 Wrote: Ah, shit! Here we go again...
It's been awhile since I posted on this thread huh? I haven't done much but I figured I would show off some stuff that I don't think I'll get done for a long time
Dr. Social from Master of Darkness, a Castlevania clone on the Sega Master System & Game Gear... in Castlevania style. I'm wondering what palette works the best for the character and also what I need to improve/touch up on. 

[Image: ZpO3SSk.png]
Edgar/Edger in Super Mario Maker style, I know I have Goku being worked on but I thought I would not finish another one.

[Image: aI4YngX.png] Boomerang flower in the classic SMB1 NES style, don't expect it to get on the site anytime soon.

[Image: fXf5tZv.png]
Recreations of the North American boxart "sprites" of Metroid. I had a lot of fun making these though I don't think I'll do any expanded concepts.

[Image: MDX6FGg.png]
Same thing with Mario here, if anyone wants to make a fully fledged sheet then by all means do so. That would be a super neat custom!
Nicely done and I like the variety, keep up the good work!
Art is a journey that is always worth the trip!
Thanked by: shadowman44
[Image: 125970.png]
Hey so I actually finished one of the things I showed before, this one breaking the apparent curse I had where I would only submit 1 thing per custom.
It's that ever-so-loved (but not really accurate to the original SMB1 style) Super Mario Maker style. It took so damn long because I usually don't put customs as my high priority so they end up on the back burner most of the time.
Thanked by:
[Image: 126740.png]
Oh you guys know how much I love crossover styles
anyway this is Gilgamesh, that golden knight from that Tower of Druaga arcade game done in Dragon Quest III's Game Boy Color art style. I hate doing side frames because they're hard to start but once you get an idea how to do them, they're a breeze afterward.
Yeah I'm going to do Princess Ki in this style too, just wait for it.
Thanked by:
[Image: 127329.png]
Well that wasn't a very long wait

I mean I guess I can't say too much, the Druaga series isn't very popular outside Japan. Anyway here's Ki, she's kind of like the Luigi of the series but not really.
Thanked by:
Alright here's something cursed, should've done this April fools day but didn't.
[Image: Doki_Doki_Literature_Club_-_Mother_1_style.png]
Mother 1 style Doki Doki Literature Club. A friend of mine suggested I do it, turns out Mother 1's art style is a lot harder to do than I imagined. Frisk and Chara were easier because their designs were based on Mother/Earthbound's characters, so naturally they just fit. I'm not doing more frames of this, 1 frame was enough for each character.
Thanked by:
[Image: 149138.png?updated=1613998755]
At last, another Star Ocean custom that's of a character. Rena Lanford, my most wanted character for Super Smash Bros which will probably never happen.
Second Story on the PS1 was my introduction to RPG's (and anime to some extent?) so I figured I'd give this a good custom for the sake of representation on this site.
Thanked by:
[Image: 149793.png?updated=1615459900]
[Image: 151107.png?updated=1616831963]
What's this trend of doing random characters in these random art styles? Well I'm apparently part of it.
[Image: 1819358_shadowman44_scout-mega-man-nes-style.png]
Force-a-nature man! No? Okay, but this is definitely The Scout in the NES Mega Man style. This is just a one off, don't plan on anything with him in the future.