Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
M.U.G E.N.
Hey Yo.

I need help. My name is Andrew MacGyver and I want to post M.U.G.E.N. sprites here.
I have them and would like to upload them here for easy access to anyone.

Are there any regulations I should know about regarding M.U.G.E.N. sprites ?
As well if I can upload them how do I create I new profile/game for said sprites ?

Thanks to y'all again,

Andrew
Thanked by:
Hey - posting MUGEN sprites is generally frowned upon, mainly because of the complications with "ownership" of the sprites.
Keep in mind that the sprites were originally made or ripped by someone else, so simply opening the SFF with Character Maker probably get you in some big trouble with the MUGEN community.

If it is permissible, then it's best that you obtain the MUGEN asset author's permission to post any sheets before you decide to do so, and it'd be best if you credited the source where the author originally got the character sprites from - be that the creator of the character themselves or the person that ripped the sprites for them. I mean, who knows? The author may want to even submit the sheet themselves.
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
(12-28-2018, 04:22 PM)Kosheh Wrote: Hey - posting MUGEN sprites is generally frowned upon, mainly because of the complications with "ownership" of the sprites.
Keep in mind that the sprites were originally made or ripped by someone else, so simply opening the SFF with Character Maker probably get you in some big trouble with the MUGEN community.

If it is permissible, then it's best that you obtain the MUGEN asset author's permission to post any sheets before you decide to do so, and it'd be best if you credited the source where the author originally got the character sprites from - be that the creator of the character themselves or the person that ripped the sprites for them. I mean, who knows? The author may want to even submit the sheet themselves.

Hey, Kosheh ! Thanks for answering me ! This is actually the first time somebody actually answers my question in a forum. Thanks again. So basically I shouldn't upload any MUGEN sprites...well...okay. I really don't want get into trouble with MUGEN so thanks for the heads up. But I have a question the sprites I wanted to upload were the Hyper Dragon Ball Z sprites. As well as some other such as Superman, Wonderwoman etc... Should I avoid those too or are those okay ? Sorry I'm still a bit confused with the whole MUGEN complications thing.

Thanks again !
Thanked by:
(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: Hey, Kosheh ! Thanks for answering me ! This is actually the first time somebody actually answers my question in a forum. Thanks again.
No problem! I'm actually gonna break up this response into blockquotes to make things less confusing.

(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: So basically I shouldn't upload any MUGEN sprites...well...okay. I really don't want get into trouble with MUGEN so thanks for the heads up.
The long and short of it is that if you're ripping directly from MUGEN works and not giving credit, you're more or less stealing the other person's work and the time and effort it took for them to rip that character themselves. This is why you'd want to contact the author of the character or stage you'd like to submit as a sheet.

If you were to submit without consent from the author, you'd be upsetting multiple people:
- The author themselves, as they (or a third party) obtained those sprites; given how long ago MUGEN was popular, they may have meticulously ripped that character frame-by-frame, and they may want to be credited (or submit it themselves).

- Online MUGEN communities (if you didn't get consent from the author to upload the sprites, they'd go and complain on a MUGEN dev forum, probably and then you'd develop a bad reputation)

- Us, sorta (We wouldn't be angry; but if you didn't get the author's permission to post the spritesheet, and/or it contains too many custom sprites without explicitly stating they're custom, our hyperaware sheet examiners will flag it as stolen content. This gets you a warning for submitting stolen stuff and a bad reputation for being That Guy)

Of course, another site staff might completely override what I said and you might not be able to submit MUGEN rips, period - but I feel like I explained why they might feel it's not OK above. If you can get in touch with the author and they'll let you submit their work, great! If you can't get in touch with them, or they won't respond, it's best not to upset that author by potentially going against their wishes.

(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: But I have a question the sprites I wanted to upload were the Hyper Dragon Ball Z sprites. As well as some other such as Superman, Wonderwoman etc... Should I avoid those too or are those okay ? Sorry I'm still a bit confused with the whole MUGEN complications thing.

See, above I was talking about if you were submitting like, sprites of Ryu from Capcom VS SNK 2: Things one person rips and then you're ripping their rip.
Things like Hyper Dragon Ball Z or the (Capcom?) Superman are another beast entirely, as they're usually custom sprites made by somebody. You'll definitely want to get the author's permission before submitting those.
For example, if you really want to submit sprites from Hyper Dragon Ball Z, it's best that you get the expressed permission from Hyper Team Z2 so you can prove it in a PM if you're questioned at any point about it.

(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: Thanks again !
No problem! ^^
The basic gist here is: Ask first. If they say no, respect the owner's wishes and don't submit them. If they say yes, go nuts!!

Also, my apologies for double-posting, but I'm going to actually move this thread to Site Discussion. It'll get a little more staff visibility there and you'll be able to get a better answer there, to boot.
Thanked by: TheTrueSamurai08
(12-29-2018, 09:39 AM)Kosheh Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: Hey, Kosheh ! Thanks for answering me ! This is actually the first time somebody actually answers my question in a forum. Thanks again.
No problem! I'm actually gonna break up this response into blockquotes to make things less confusing.

(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: So basically I shouldn't upload any MUGEN sprites...well...okay. I really don't want get into trouble with MUGEN so thanks for the heads up.
The long and short of it is that if you're ripping directly from MUGEN works and not giving credit, you're more or less stealing the other person's work and the time and effort it took for them to rip that character themselves. This is why you'd want to contact the author of the character or stage you'd like to submit as a sheet.

If you were to submit without consent from the author, you'd be upsetting multiple people:
- The author themselves, as they (or a third party) obtained those sprites; given how long ago MUGEN was popular, they may have meticulously ripped that character frame-by-frame, and they may want to be credited (or submit it themselves).

- Online MUGEN communities (if you didn't get consent from the author to upload the sprites, they'd go and complain on a MUGEN dev forum, probably and then you'd develop a bad reputation)

- Us, sorta (We wouldn't be angry; but if you didn't get the author's permission to post the spritesheet, and/or it contains too many custom sprites without explicitly stating they're custom, our hyperaware sheet examiners will flag it as stolen content. This gets you a warning for submitting stolen stuff and a bad reputation for being That Guy)

Of course, another site staff might completely override what I said and you might not be able to submit MUGEN rips, period - but I feel like I explained why they might feel it's not OK above. If you can get in touch with the author and they'll let you submit their work, great! If you can't get in touch with them, or they won't respond, it's best not to upset that author by potentially going against their wishes.

(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: But I have a question the sprites I wanted to upload were the Hyper Dragon Ball Z sprites. As well as some other such as Superman, Wonderwoman etc... Should I avoid those too or are those okay ? Sorry I'm still a bit confused with the whole MUGEN complications thing.

See, above I was talking about if you were submitting like, sprites of Ryu from Capcom VS SNK 2: Things one person rips and then you're ripping their rip.
Things like Hyper Dragon Ball Z or the (Capcom?) Superman are another beast entirely, as they're usually custom sprites made by somebody. You'll definitely want to get the author's permission before submitting those.
For example, if you really want to submit sprites from Hyper Dragon Ball Z, it's best that you get the expressed permission from Hyper Team Z2 so you can prove it in a PM if you're questioned at any point about it.

(12-29-2018, 07:41 AM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: Thanks again !
No problem! ^^
The basic gist here is: Ask first. If they say no, respect the owner's wishes and don't submit them. If they say yes, go nuts!!

Also, my apologies for double-posting, but I'm going to actually move this thread to Site Discussion. It'll get a little more staff visibility there and you'll be able to get a better answer there, to boot.

Hey again ! Thanks I get it now...I guess uploading/ripping sprites is a bit more complicated than I thought haha..
Alright. I'll see what I'll do next. My original plan was to upload the sprites for easy access since I ripped some MUGEN sprites via The Fighters Factory for personal use but I guess I'll ask the creators of said sprites to be sure. I always planned on giving credit and I was sure they (the sprites' creators) wouldn't mind...but as I said before. Things are a bit more complicated than I first thought. Thanks again for all your help !

One last question.
Recently I've been playing the Super Mario Flashback SAGE 2018 fan game and I loved it. Once again I'm in the process of ripping sprites except this time frame by frame...I should ask the creators of the fan game if I can upload the sprites right ? Thanks again ! You've been very helpful ! I just joined TSR and I really don't want to be "That Guy" or give myself a bad reputation.

Thanks again ! God Bless.
Thanked by:
(12-29-2018, 12:10 PM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: One last question.
Recently I've been playing the Super Mario Flashback SAGE 2018 fan game and I loved it. Once again I'm in the process of ripping sprites except this time frame by frame...I should ask the creators of the fan game if I can upload the sprites right ? Thanks again ! You've been very helpful ! I just joined TSR and I really don't want to be "That Guy" or give myself a bad reputation.

I'm pretty sure the pixelartist who made the pixelart for...Mario at least? in Mario Flashback is Neweegee, a former VGR user.

They might already be on the site as customs lol
Thanked by: TheTrueSamurai08
(12-29-2018, 01:57 PM)Kosheh Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 12:10 PM)TheTrueSamurai08 Wrote: One last question.

I'm pretty sure the pixelartist who made the pixelart for...Mario at least? in Mario Flashback is Neweegee, a former VGR user.

They might already be on the site as customs lol

Oh....haha what are the odds huh o_O ? Well thanks again for answering all my questions. You've been a great help. At first I thought posting a forum was a waste of time and effort but you've proven to me that it can be very helpful. I'll see what I'll do now...I'm all out of projects haha ! Thanks once again for giving me a heads up.

Very well. The only thing I can say now is that...if you or anyone you know, ever need some MUGEN sprites or The Fighters Factory program just let me know.  I'll be glad to send you/them a copy.

Stay warm and God bless.

Andrew MacGyver
Thanked by: