Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
First time ripper,need advice
So I had ripped sprites from the unlicensed NES game magic carpet 1001 but it got rejected
Any advice for this novice ripper?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
For starters, I think a sheet with just the boy on the magic carpet would suit it much better. The witch, skull, and vampire lip thing don't look like they belong in a "playable character(s)" sheet and moreso their own. You shouldn't let those go to waste though, maybe rip the rest of the enemies and bosses and compile those into another sheet.

Second, the tag "made by Jonny" should be "ripped by Jonny", you are implying that you made the sprites yourself.
Thanked by:
I'll second what Shadow wrote and say you'd probably want to put all the sprites associated with the player character (the character itself, his projectiles, and pickups that power him up) on one sheet, while enemies and bosses would go on another separate sheet. You're on the right track, though, and for a first time ripper this isn't anywhere bad. I say organize it a little more and follow those pointers and you should have a submission worthy of posting. Big Grin
Thanked by:
While I don't know why it got rejected without knowing more, it is the case of process of elimination. Did you rip these yourself? What emulator did you use if you did? Is the capitalization correct for the game? It should be Magic Carpet 1001 (Bootleg) It might be because the staff might find it hard to find the game, after all it only appeared in multicarts rather than a stand alone cartridge. It is also the section that you put it in.

Looking at the sheet and comparing them to the game; the sprites are the right size (that's good), no background clashing (again good) and a quick look at the Tile Viewer shows that you have got some of the game already ripped (playable character and the bosses). So already better than expected for a first time ripper. The only things missing are the font (really the numbers and the letters for Game Over) and the enemies if you want to do a General Sprites type of rip. If you really want to go to town, you can rip the title screen and the ending but you can always do that for another sheet.

Many NES emulators come with a tile viewer, that would make ripping easier to do but if you took them via screenshots from an emulator, that's fine. In fact both work both ways as in that the capturing would help assembling the tiles if they are awkward to assemble and to get the right palette. If you aren't sure then you could download a tile viewer such as YY-CHR and check that way if you are missing any sprites because sometimes games either load a bit or just unused. Since this game appeared on multicarts back in the day, I imagine that the game is pretty small so for this game it probably won't be needed however it is handy just in case and will be useful if you decide to rip any more games whether NES or other systems.

Regarding what the others mentioned, you could do that however it varies. Older and smaller games are fine of having everything on one sheet but a majority of games wouldn't work like that and would have to be separated, some literally by character. If the playable character had more sprites then yeah, separating the playable character and the bosses are fine.

Maybe also change the credit tag might help. First change from made to ripped by since it seems like you made those sprites rather than got them from the game. Unless you are the developer/artist of the game and that is extremely doubtful. Also wanting credit and saying that is hard to do might be a bit discouraging especially for a NES game. Understandable if it is an known hard to rip game though. For an expert NES ripper (not me but there are some on here), they could do this sheet in their sleep. 

It is understandable though, it is your first rip and you are just starting out. After all it takes time to get things going and getting used to ripping. I might have ripped for over 11 years but my first rips weren't really that good and took a few years to really get going. Bearing in mind when I started like you, there were a very few Master System or Genesis rippers around so most of the stuff that I learnt was from scratch and later on research in the right channels with better tools to rip games. In your case though, the NES is well researched and just takes practice.

I think just ripping the missing things that I mentioned and fix the credit tag/game name should be enough for it to get approved. Unless there is another issue for rejection.
Wow this is some really good info! Thanks!
I'll definitely start working on the rest of the enemies and I'll look over the game to see if I missed any unused content
What's interesting to know that there are 3 variants of this game all with different sprites they are as followed
Harry potter
Harry tour
Little hag , thanks as always and. Yea I'll try to get the main character by himself to be submitted
Thanked by: