Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Crash Bandicoot 2/3 model rip and proof-of-concept (requesting evaluation)
Hey all. I'd like to request that someone please help me improve this model.

I think I've met the limit of the Collada DAE format's capabilities and I just want to be sure I haven't missed something since this is a complicated submission.

[Image: 2FGzWVQ.png]
Download

Features
  • Has an in-built scale of .025 (metric).
  • Contains vertex colours overlaid with textures.
  • Contains 281 frames of vertex animation converted to morph targets (shape keys).
This model is only compatible with Blender so far. To make it compatible with 3DS Max I would need to split the model into groups of 100 frames.
Should I submit this model split into different animations or as a whole?

In order to preserve accuracy without the cost of increased file size or redundancy, I have not baked the vertex colours into the model.

Materials need to be manually fixed after import, so I'm deciding whether to include a Blender scene file, or a Blender macro script that automatically makes those fixes.
I'm hoping that I've just missed something and the materials can be properly applied on import.

Thank you for your time.
Thanked by: Filler
Just looked at it. Everything seems to work fine.

The way this game does animations is actually really interesting. I always thought it was bone-like animation.

Also, I was wondering how you did this, and if it can work with other PSX games?

[Image: jPXkTZX.gif]

Surprisingly, the shape-key based animation does seem to apply proper frame interpolation when stretched in length, so you can make 60 FPS Crash animations.

Ignore the cheap motion blur. Tried to see if that would work right.
I like to make models in my free time. I also make weird games, too.
Thanked by: GWKTM
(12-27-2017, 10:15 PM)Filler Wrote: Just looked at it. Everything seems to work fine.

The way this game does animations is actually really interesting. I always thought it was bone-like animation.

Also, I was wondering how you did this, and if it can work with other PSX games?
Good, I'm glad. I'll see if I can possibly get it working on 3DS Max but chances are I'll submit it as is.

The frames were converted to PLY models using Warenhuis' model converter along with a Autohotkey frontend for automation.
Then I used Notepad++ to make a regex find and replace macro which converts the model into an array of vertex positions.
That array is inserted under each geometry id in the DAE as *-positions-array.
This method could definitely be used with other PSX models, although with the previously mentioned 100-frame limit for 3DS Max.
Thanked by: Filler
Well what do you know. I wonder if you're able to rip models from Crash 2, CTR or Bash as well? Those could help me to make the Crash-themed fangame:

What I need most urgently are huntsman lab assistant (from level Unbearable) and Crash's Jet Board.
Thanked by:
Huh! I know very little about modeling, but knowing the basics on how Crash's animation worked I'm impressed you were able to make it into something more workable with modern techniques!
Thanked by: Friedslick6