Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Suggestion: The Ability To See Pending Submissions
I don't know if this was explained a while back or in some other thread (and if it was, please let me know) but personally I would love to be able to see what submissions are pending.
Pending Games are visible, but it'd be nice to know a head of time what models/textures/sprites/sounds are waiting to be approved to avoid multiple people accidentally submitting the same thing or people waiting indefinitely to see if something shows up.

For example, GoldenEye 007 & Perfect Dark have editors which allow you to extract all the models & corresponding textures but I have no idea what is currently pending, if anything even is pending. I don't want to waste time submitting a model that is already being pending & just hasn't been approved yet, but on the flip side I don't want to see the games empty just because no one is submitting any models when all the models can be extracted from the roms directly.

This would not only help submitters but also viewers too because then we wouldn't have the big problem of having to explain in the comments if something has been submitted and just needs approval.
Huge fan of the YouTube Series "Stupid Mario Brothers" by Richalvarez, as well as Mario in general.
Super Mario 64 is my #1 Mario game of all time, and I tend to express that by importing the models into other games or by creating/editing models to fit in the same style.
Thanked by:
This has come up a few times before but there's a reason it's not implemented. Honestly, I don't really even want to display pending games (and you'll notice they're not visible to guests) but I decided to add them to their respective pages to make it easier for submitters to add more to a game after they've initially left the page (as well as others who may want to contribute to a game that hasn't been approved yet).

While I understand your reasoning behind wanting to be able to view pending submissions and even agree with the premise, showing them would defeat the purpose of having a submission system to begin with. The goal is to ensure a certain level of quality before something hits the site and showing them before they're approved bypasses that check. Sure, we could hide them for guests like we do with the games and I guess that would mitigate a good chunk of that problem but as it stands now, I'd rather not show unapproved actual content anywhere on the site.
I can respect that, then how about this: A number showing how many models are currently pending.
While I would love to know what is pending, but just knowing if anything actually is pending would be a good compromise because if nothing is pending, can't get accidental duplicates.
Huge fan of the YouTube Series "Stupid Mario Brothers" by Richalvarez, as well as Mario in general.
Super Mario 64 is my #1 Mario game of all time, and I tend to express that by importing the models into other games or by creating/editing models to fit in the same style.
Thanked by:
I could probably do a number if that would really help. Where do you think it would be most useful to have that displayed?
Thanked by:
Since there's already counters under the game name for the number of Models, Hits and Comments, maybe add a Pending Models counter under those.
It'd be right above the Add New Model option so it should be easy to spot and wouldn't look random or out of place.
Just knowing if there are already pending models should be helpful, at least when it's at 0 that means that whatever models are missing haven't been submitted yet and are basically "free game" for uploaders.
Thanked by:
I can't put it there. I recently added one row to that table (the comment count) and it caused so many display issues that took so long to fix that I'm forever finished with modifying that table. Additionally, there is no info box for pending games so that data would be missing where it really counts. I figure the logical place would be somewhere on the add sheet/model/texture/sound page.
Thanked by:
Oof, well then I'm not really sure. I guess if you could insert it into the "Add New Submission" page that would be fine.
Thanked by:
Okay, a pending count is now in place on the add submission page.
Thanked by:
On another note, I think it would be a great idea to have a "Unfinished/Needs Fixing" page, since I've technically fully ported the 3DMM actors and the Great Cave Offensive, but they were turned down for these reasons respectively.

3DMM: Actors weren't in T-Pose (I have no idea how to fix this without breaking the original model's proportions (Which I feel is a noticeable problem on the current 3DMM ports, Doraemon's shoulders are a lot lower in the port than they should be https://vgy.me/VR6SKY.png https://vgy.me/dUsubT.png ), and the actors were all ported in single .obj groups (Found it a waste of space to port each actor onto a seperate .obj since all one would need to do is take one of the actor models, especially due to the different skins not being ported without porting them onto seperate models, compounded by the fact that they have Smash 64 style texture seperation.)

Great Cave Offensive: Textures were mapped to a specific path. Should have been an easy fix for an experienced porter, which I am not. So that's been thrown out because of a small error I have no clue how to fix. If I put it on the Desktop in a folder that means that whenever someone has to extract it then it can only go onto the Desktop, once the textures are moved from that path you're fucked.

If we could work on eachother's ports and fix these small inconveniences, problems like this wouldn't be as much killing blow for novice porters, also considering the fact that the Wii U SSB4 expressions are merged together onto the model but also set to invisible, it would help people doing weirder ports (like Homer into South Park Rally or Naruto into 3D Movie Maker)
Thanked by:
Not sure what you're referring to but it would have likely been a better idea to post a new thread rather than replying to one over 5 years old.
Thanked by: