Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Comic] Mega Man X: Unit 49
Greetings VG Resource!

I'd like to present you my long-time project:
[Image: mmux49t1_by_saturnthereploid-d9ihtwd.png]

I believe I'm a bit late in the sprite comics era and there are just a few Mega Man comics surviving to this day, so I'm willing to spread my works before things start to really fade away.

Synopsis
Development

The timelined used in the comic can be viewed here: (huge image)

You can also follow this comic in my DeviantART or in its Smack Jeeves site.

I'm writing a Wiki for the comic, and it's updated after almost every arc completion.
[Image: Wiki-wordmark.png]
Considering my pages are normally 3~6MB, I'll only post hyperlinks instead of images, since all of them together would weigh too much on a single forum page.

What is done so far:
Cover Art
Prologue: Doomsday
Season 1
Season 2

Also, if you want to have a Maverick made by you appearing someday in the comic, you can send me a private message following these rules.

I always make corrections in the pages if typos are found and, if I really think it's necessary, I'll redo them, so I'll really appreciate the feedback from you guys.
Thanked by: Cooper, supersmashball
Hey. I put the comic on a hiatus between December and early February while I was still making a bunch of new pages, summing up to 60 in stock. If I keep the one page per two days routine, Chapter 16 will end only around July. I don't intend it to be like that, or else Season 2 might last beyond this year once again. This schedule will change deppending on my productivity in the next two months:

Ch.15 Disturbances Pg 25-35 between March 11th to March 31st
Ch.16 Winged Rampage Pg 1-26 between April 2nd to May 22nd
Ch.16 Winged Rampage Pg 27-45 between May 23rd to June 10 (one page per day routine)

If it goes well, the one page per day routine will begin much sooner.

The is back, with a lot of details and techniques I have been experimenting. I realized the contrast between boss sprites and their backgrounds is something I need to pay better attention, but I think things are understandable at least.

Season 2, Chapter 15: Disturbances
Page 8 (dA) (SJ)
Page 9 (dA) (SJ)
Page 10 (dA) (SJ)
Page 11 (dA) (SJ)
Page 12 (dA) (SJ)
Page 13 (dA) (SJ)
Page 14 (dA) (SJ)
Page 15 (dA) (SJ)
Page 16 (dA) (SJ)
Page 17 (dA) (SJ)
Page 18 (dA) (SJ)
Page 19 (dA) (SJ)
Page 20 (dA) (SJ)
Page 21 (dA) (SJ)
Page 22 (dA) (SJ)
Page 23 (dA) (SJ)
Page 24 (dA) (SJ)

Also, I have made some attempts at revamping the designs of some of my characters, which are really off with the color and detail patterns of the X series. I wanted to maintain a style consistency through all the comic series, that's why I always edited old pages or even redone them when I changed designs, like with the government counsellors. However, characters like Saturn and Blue Knight have appeared in so many pages that is beyond my strenght to go back and redo everything. Because of that, I may only update their sprites when Season 3 begins. I ask you to pretend these were their looks since the beginning (click to open the big images in full size):
  • Captain Elika
  • Shad
  • Blue Knight
  • Saturn
  • Cyclobbering Onimmer (he appeared in S1's ending and will be a boss in Season 3)
  • Chaotic Gargale (I haven't finished the artwork yet, so I will put it in a future update)
Thanked by:
Chapter 15 is finished and some suspicious information has been revealed.

Season 2, Chapter 15: Disturbances
Page 25 (dA) (SJ)
Page 26 (dA) (SJ)
Page 27 (dA) (SJ)
Page 28 (dA) (SJ)
Page 29 (dA) (SJ)
Page 30 (dA) (SJ)
Page 31 (dA) (SJ)
Page 32 (dA) (SJ)
Page 33 (dA) (SJ)
Page 34 (dA) (SJ)
Page 35 (dA) (SJ)

I have finished Chaotic Gargale's artwork and I changed some things since that preview.
  • Chaotic Gargale
An extra:
  • Nora

I decided to change the publishing routine to 5 pages/week, so the new schedule is:

Winged Rampage Pg 9-45 between April 15th and June 5th
Frenetic Dance Pg 1-11 between June 7th and June 20th

Chapter 16 begins with Captain Elika going on the offensive against the Maverick raiders as an one man army... but is he really alone?

Season 2, Chapter 16: Winged Rampage
Page 1 (dA) (SJ)
Page 2 (dA) (SJ)
Page 3 (dA) (SJ)
Page 4 (dA) (SJ)
Page 5 (dA) (SJ)
Page 6 (dA) (SJ)
Page 7 (dA) (SJ)
Page 8 (dA) (SJ)
Thanked by:
The beginning of what's possibly the greatest mess in the history of sprite comic battles, followed by two short boss battles against lesser Mavericks. With this, remains only the last third of the chapter where things will get serious!

Page 9 (dA) (SJ)
Page 10 (dA) (SJ)
Page 11 (dA) (SJ)
Page 12 (dA) (SJ)
Page 13 (dA) (SJ)
Page 14 (dA) (SJ)
Page 15 (dA) (SJ)
Page 16 (dA) (SJ)
Page 17 (dA) (SJ)
Page 18 (dA) (SJ)
Page 19 (dA) (SJ)
Page 20 (dA) (SJ)
Page 21 (dA) (SJ)
Page 22 (dA) (SJ)
Page 23 (dA) (SJ)
Page 24 (dA) (SJ)
Page 25 (dA) (SJ)
Page 26 (dA) (SJ)
Page 27 (dA) (SJ)
Page 28 (dA) (SJ)
Page 29 (dA) (SJ)

Also, here is a WIP of Season 2's Cover Art:
The idea came from a sketch while I was bored in a Vector Analysis class. It took some time to draw with the mouse over the pencil scribbles and will take some weeks to turn it into a complete artwork. Since I probably won't be able to finish it this semester, I'm leaving it here. All of the characters are in their newest designs, not the ones currently shown in the comics. Radar Unit Ying (his armor resembles more the chinese culture) and Keros (he's more like a Raijin now) have been redesigned, although their looks might not be the final versions. Illusion and Red Thunder should be getting a visual update this year, but I haven't come up with any ideas yet.

The display of the characters has a bigger meaning this time, and some of them I can't tell. Two streams come from the center: X and the Maverick Hunters behind him; The Neo Maverick Army begins below the hands of the Mysterious Man with Saturn seemingly pulling the strings, although the mercenary Baronel is aware of that. Councillor Raffould watches with a strange enthusiasm the spiral of the war forming and raises the Earth Army.
Thanked by:
Chaotic Gargale unleashes his true power against the Earth Army and the battle reaches its climax!

Page 30 (dA) (SJ)
Page 31 (dA) (SJ)
Page 32 (dA) (SJ)
Page 33 (dA) (SJ)
Page 34 (dA) (SJ)
Page 35 (dA) (SJ)
Page 36 (dA) (SJ)
Page 37 (dA) (SJ)
Page 38 (dA) (SJ)
Page 39 (dA) (SJ)
Page 40 (dA) (SJ)
Page 41 (dA) (SJ)
Page 42 (dA) (SJ)
Page 43 (dA) (SJ)
Page 44 (dA) (SJ)
Page 45 (dA) (SJ)

With this, Chapter 16 is completed! Only the two hardest boss battles of this arc remain to be concluded in Chapter 17: Frenetic Dance in June and July. After that, we'll reach the last part of Season 2 and the story will be half complete.

Also, two more redesigns for the collection:
  • Red Thunder
  • Baronel
Thanked by:
Chapter 17 begins with the clash between the Blue Moon and Red Sun Ride Armors! Baronel's expertise allows him to keep the situation under control, but the Hunters are not willing to give up.

Season 2, Chapter 17: Frenetic Dance
Page 1 (dA) (SJ)
Page 2 (dA) (SJ)
Page 3 (dA) (SJ)
Page 4 (dA) (SJ)
Page 5 (dA) (SJ)
Page 6 (dA) (SJ)
Page 7 (dA) (SJ)
Page 8 (dA) (SJ)
Thanked by:
A prelude for the last boss battle while the Squad B tries to finish the paralyzed Baronel amidst a crowd of elite minions.

Page 9 (dA) (SJ)
Page 10 (dA) (SJ)
Page 11 (dA) (SJ)
Page 12 (dA) (SJ)
Page 13 (dA) (SJ)
Page 14 (dA) (SJ)
Page 15 (dA) (SJ)
Page 16 (dA) (SJ)
Page 17 (dA) (SJ)
Page 18 (dA) (SJ)
Page 19 (dA) (SJ)
Page 20 (dA) (SJ)
Page 21 (dA) (SJ)
Page 22 (dA) (SJ)
Page 23 (dA) (SJ)

It is very likely that this chapter is going to surpass Winged Rampage and go up to 50 pages.
Thanked by:
Honestly, I know relatively little about sprite comics beyond my young experience with Jay Resop's Neglected Mario Characters, but I will say I love the dynamism and use of color in there a lot! So that's neat!
Thanked by: Saturn
(07-13-2018, 05:59 PM)titleknown Wrote: Honestly, I know relatively little about sprite comics beyond my young experience with Jay Resop's Neglected Mario Characters, but I will say I love the dynamism and use of color in there a lot! So that's neat!

I am glad you liked it!

The fighting goes on and ends in an unexpected way even for me.

Page 24 (dA) (SJ)
Page 25 (dA) (SJ)
Page 26 (dA) (SJ)
Page 27 (dA) (SJ)
Page 28 (dA) (SJ)
Page 29 (dA) (SJ)
Page 30 (dA) (SJ)
Page 31 (dA) (SJ)
Page 32 (dA) (SJ)
Page 33 (dA) (SJ)
Page 34 (dA) (SJ)
Page 35 (dA) (SJ)

There will be an interruption in the 5 pages/week routine for the first time in several months because I am finally without pages in stock. The last boss fight of the chapter is already choreographed and written, in complete contrast to Baronel's fight, which just began to flow naturally until its end after a certain point, but I have yet to make the actual panels and it will take some time since working with liquid metal sprites and effects all over the place is a real pain and will require a lot of effort from me and possibly from my computer's memory and processor.

The page frequency in the next months will depend on my college and hopefully the break won't last long.
Thanked by:
(07-26-2018, 02:21 PM)Saturn Wrote: The page frequency in the next months will depend on my college and hopefully the break won't last long.

Turns out that the situation went worse than I expected and my productivity was nearly null during the semester. Welp. Either way, I am publishing pages up to Chapter 18 and it might need yet another hiatus for the amount of sprites and backgrounds I need to make Season 2's finale.

Squad A begins their fight against Corrosive Nagaxid!

Page 36 (dA) (SJ)
Page 37 (dA) (SJ)
Page 38 (dA) (SJ)
Page 39 (dA) (SJ)
Page 40 (dA) (SJ)
Page 41 (dA) (SJ)
Thanked by:
Nagaxid's power growth is going out of control! The Hunters need to think of a trick or they won't get out alive!

Page 42 (dA) (SJ)
Page 43 (dA) (SJ)
Page 44 (dA) (SJ)
Page 45 (dA) (SJ)
Page 46 (dA) (SJ)
Page 47 (dA) (SJ)
Page 48 (dA) (SJ)
Thanked by:
Squad A's mission comes to its conclusion, as well as Chapter 17!  

Page 49 (dA) (SJ)
Page 50 (dA) (SJ)
Page 51 (dA) (SJ)
Page 52 (dA) (SJ)
Page 53 (dA) (SJ)
Page 54 (dA) (SJ)
Page 55 (dA) (SJ)

We now reach the ending of Season 2. What was the point of all those Maverick attacks around the world besides bringing chaos?
Find it out in the next pages of Chapter 18: The True Target!

Page 1 (dA) (SJ)

By the way, I am working on a project to make PSX-styled sprites of most of the cast of the X series. Check it out:
MMX: SCP: DA // Twitter // Tumblr
Thanked by:
Merry Christmas! I gift you new pages, a cliffhanger and a hiatus.

Season 2, Chapter 18: The True Target
Page 1 (dA) (SJ)
Page 2 (dA) (SJ)
Page 3 (dA) (SJ)
Page 4 (dA) (SJ)
Page 5 (dA) (SJ)
Page 6 (dA) (SJ)
Page 7 (dA) (SJ)
Page 8 (dA) (SJ)
Thanked by:
I have already mentioned that we got a new game series of Kingdom Heart 3 this year but I think it is yet to release.
Thanked by: