Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Which Genre is better for Crossover Video Games?
Question 
Which Genre is better for Crossover Video Games?
Thanked by:
Really any genre can suffice if you make it fun and interesting.

Crossovers can be entirely different genres from the series they're crossing, all that matters is you make it work.

Like if Mortal Kombat crossed with another fighting game series aka Street Fighter or Tekken and was like, a platforming adventure beat-em-up like Shaolin Monks. I'd play it if the folks in charge of it know enough to understand what would draw in the crowds.
[Image: OK9g6f1.jpg]
Thanked by: Davy Jones
In my opinion, Fighting Games have been popular for Crossover Video Games
Thanked by:
Pretty much all genres have some kind of game that demonstrates a suitable way for making a crossover work... Kart racing, fighting (2D, 3D, Smash Bros. style, it doesn't matter), sports games, beat-em-ups, dungeon crawling action RPGs (Ultimate Alliance), sidescrolling action games (Marvel: War of the Gems), the list goes on. The only "genre" I think you would have difficulty with would be a party game that worked basically just like Mario Party, because characters of different sizes or shapes would make the minigames exceedingly unbalanced. Basically all genres can be broken down to some core common elements and be retooled to work as crossover games.

In my opinion, I think fighting games, racing games, and sports games have the widest appeal because they focus more on the gameplay than trying to write a crazy store that makes sense when fitting all of these different characters together.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by: Cooper, WaterKirby1964
(11-06-2017, 04:32 PM)Kriven Wrote: Pretty much all genres have some kind of game that demonstrates a suitable way for making a crossover work... Kart racing, fighting (2D, 3D, Smash Bros. style, it doesn't matter), sports games, beat-em-ups, dungeon crawling action RPGs (Ultimate Alliance), sidescrolling action games (Marvel: War of the Gems), the list goes on. The only "genre" I think you would have difficulty with would be a party game that worked basically just like Mario Party, because characters of different sizes or shapes would make the minigames exceedingly unbalanced. Basically all genres can be broken down to some core common elements and be retooled to work as crossover games.

In my opinion, I think fighting games, racing games, and sports games have the widest appeal because they focus more on the gameplay than trying to write a crazy store that makes sense when fitting all of these different characters together.

Very Understandable. Racing Games does have a good amount of Crossover Games but in my opinion, Fighting Games has a higher population but also, Fighting Games are interesting if you were refer to Characters on Fighting Games
Thanked by:
MOBA of course, just ask Blizzard
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: psychospacecow
Koei Tecmo's whole deal with Warriors games seems to work out well.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: