Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Original File Name, or Localized Name?
Question 
I was wondering how I should name the file submission if all the files use the Japanese name for the character? Should I just use the character's localized name, should I use the original Japanese name because it is in the files? Or should I put both names in, and separate them with parentheses? There are too many files for me to just change the name of all the files to reflect localization name changes, and it doesn't feel right to change the file names from the originals. This may be slightly dumb question, but I want to know how I should go about naming the submissions as to not cause any confusion.
[Image: WzM4hAC.png]
Thanked by:
Generally, keeping the original names is fine if there's a large number. If possible you should try to organise them though, into folders or something.

For the submission names themselves (like game name or sprite/model/texture/sound), usually we like to keep English names. If the game is Japanese-only you can use the (romanized) Japanese name after the English name, separated by a slash (e.g. Kid Dracula).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Warechu
Thanks, I just wanted to know before I posted as to not cause any confusion. The audio is not Japanese it's in English but since the game was localized, and file names usually don't change during localization. I was just thinking if I used the English name for the submission some may get confused when they see all the files having the Romanized Japanese names. So should I rename the folders the audio is sorted in to their localized names? I just didn't want to do so prematurely, due to sound modding the game they came from requiring the folders to keep their original names. Sorry about dragging this question on further, but I feel like people may get angry at me if I mess up the submission.  Sad
[Image: WzM4hAC.png]
Thanked by:
What might make sense to do is to name the submitted name JapaneseName (EnglishName), or alternatively EnglishName (JapaneseName). That way people will be able to find the character they want, but can also be a bit familiar with the Japanese names from the files.

All in all, you should just do what you think makes the most sense.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Warechu