Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Tomba! 2 - PS1 Ripping
Shocked 
Hey everyone!

New guy here, so forgive me if I'm a tad green. 

I know psx 3D model ripping is sort of a rarer thing, but is it possible? If so, would somebody be able to point me towards a proper article or tutorial on the process? My efforts so far have been totally fruitless. 

My overall goal is to get the character models and levels within the game, "Tomba! 2", as I'd like to take a crack at making new and updated versions. It may be overly ambitious, but I figured it would be a nice challenge. While I would try to make them from scratch, I'm not remotely a good enough modeler for that sort of thing. Plus, it's tough as hell to get a good view of certain models in-game.

Once again, I do apologize if I'm stepping on any toes, or bringing up old topics.

- Dakota D.
Ouch!  WHY AM I BAD AT EVERYTHING I DO.
Thanked by:
you're right, PSX model ripping is sort of a rarer thing and understandably so; there's no way to directly rip the 3D models with tools like the NINJA Ripper or 3D Ripper DX, that's just the way the Playstation 1 works.
However, there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Our friend rickomax has been working on a tool that searches the game's files TMD and PMD models and lets you export them.
If Tomba 2 uses TMD/PMD models, that tool might work.
If not, sorry man i've got nothing
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
(04-18-2017, 01:02 AM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: you're right, PSX model ripping is sort of a rarer thing and understandably so; there's no way to directly rip the 3D models with tools like the NINJA Ripper or 3D Ripper DX, that's just the way the Playstation 1 works.
However, there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Our friend rickomax has been working on a tool that searches the game's files TMD and PMD models and lets you export them.
If Tomba 2 uses TMD/PMD models, that tool might work.
If not, sorry man i've got nothing

Thank you for the fast reply and info! 

How is the progression on the tool? Though I am uneducated, is there any way I can assist? I don't want to just be like, "oh yeah give me that tool, okay bye." I do have the game extracted, so I will need to sift through the files to find those extensions.
Thanked by:
iirc the tool automatically sifts through the file so you can just feed it the ISO or main folder or whatever and it'll let you know if it finds (or doesn't) anything
Think you could post a list of all the files? Or a screenshot of the complete (sub)directory listing? Just in case PSXPrev can't open the files, maybe there's something interesting.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by:
(04-18-2017, 02:22 PM)Raccoon Sam Wrote: iirc the tool automatically sifts through the file so you can just feed it the ISO or main folder or whatever and it'll let you know if it finds (or doesn't) anything
Think you could post a list of all the files? Or a screenshot of the complete (sub)directory listing? Just in case PSXPrev can't open the files, maybe there's something interesting.

Gotcha, here's the list below. I'm still not quite sure how to post an image using a URL.

The .img file is Tomba 2 Japanese (NTSC-J).img. Within that is:

-Tomba 2 Japanese (NTSC-J).ccd
-Tomba 2 Japanese (NTSC-J).sub
-BIN 
-skin
-def_skin.ini

The BIN folder contains a bunch of other .BIN files, which I've forgotten how to extract. I believe that's where most everything is. I've been able to grab music and sfx in the past, but it's been a while.
Thanked by: