Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The 'Shroom
Ended up getting Kosheh interested in a community project I'm a part of, so I'm here to talk about it Smile

The 'Shroom is a collection of community-written monthly news articles that is part of the Super Mario Wiki. It consists of a variety of subjects and projects run by a large number of users from said wiki.

Want to be up to date on the latest projects? The staff is here to tell you.
Are you a part of the wiki, but have no idea what needs to be worked on? We shed some light on articles that need some help.
Need a good laugh or to get away from it all? We have a collection of Fake News written for your enjoyment.
Feel like trying to solves some puzzles? We got some Fun Stuff for you to try.
Curious to see what fan projects users are working on? The Pallet Swap is the place to go.
The Pipe Plaza keeps track of all the recent updates on the forums and wiki-releated events and statistics.
Aren't subscribed to enough review sites? We got reviews aplenty over in Critic Corner.
Stuck on a level and can go no further? We got some strategies you can try out.

This is a rather big community project that's been put together since 2006, a year after the Super Mario Wiki first started, and is still going strong. Users and experienced writers are welcome to sign up for a vacant position and let their knowledge and ideas be shown.

I myself have been writing the Sport Report segment under Fake News since August, where I play a Mario Sports title and write down the play by play. It's... gotten a bit tedious after a while, play-by-plays don't really work well in text, so I'm resigning from that position after this upcoming report and am moving on to the Pipe Plaza and Critic Corner sections.

I'm terrible at explaining things, so if you want to learn more about The 'Shroom, head on over there and click some of the various links. Who knows, you just might find yourself reading and writing something you never thought you would. https://www.mariowiki.com/The_%27Shroom:Main_Page
Thanked by: Kosheh
i'm tabbing through this and a lot of these news articles are super goofy and great. The only thing I'm a little wary on (and I'm not so sure the SMWiki community will agree here)

(03-03-2017, 12:24 PM)PowerMaster64 Wrote: Need a good laugh or to get away from it all? We have a collection of Fake News written for your enjoyment.

...why call it Fake News? I mean there's now some real-world parallels going on here (which kinda blows) but if it's tabloid material you're going for, I'd give it a more ...uh...venerable-sounding name so you can have those Koopa conspirators in the Mushroom Kingdom cite their sources and sound sort of legitimate. Like there's 58 billion things to name it after. Since there's a team of dapper Cyndaquil at the forefront of it, you could make it fire-themed. i.e. "The Angry Sun" ("Searing plumbers' pants since '89"), the "Hot Foot" ("We're red-hot news ninjas! You'll see the hottest headlines before you see us!") or my personal favorite of the three "The Podoboo" ("Reporting the ups and downs from the lava pits of the Mushroom Kingdom"). You can even give it some added flair by making all the man-on-the-ground odd, goofball second-rate Mario Bros. characters that have questionable journalistic experience - think like if Monstro Town in Super Mario RPG had a newspaper that was printed in a section of the Mushroom Kingdom's newspaper.

The name "Fake News" delegitimizes your fine subsection of News That's Really Great And Happening Right Now.
I mean honestly, the Fake News should just spinoff from the Shroom so it gets that Koopa Kid sort of notoriety, yknowwhatimsayin
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
It's called Fake News because it's all made up articles, made to sound like there is something happening but there really isn't. I wasn't there when the name was decided (The 'Shroom started in 2006, but I signed up in 2014), but of course there's going to be other names it could be called by. This is just the name decided by the core Shroom staff, something simple and describes what it is. The Cyndaquil team is the representative user image of the head of the Fake News section. It's a personal preference, he could've made it anything he wanted, but he went with Pokemon.

Regardless of what a section is named, we all have fun putting this newspaper together. If something was to be removed, then it would just feel like something is missing, ya' know?
Thanked by: