Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Nancy Drew .AVF files
I was interested in ripping graphics from the Nancy Drew series. Unfortunately, they use a proprietary format, .AVF. There is apparently already a tool for this format, HERtools, but I don't know anything about compiling.

There are some sample .AVF files here.

Please help, these are interesting and popular games.
Thanked by:
you need to use this https://cmake.org/download/
let me know if you manage to compile that.
Thanked by:
I have that, I just don't know how to use it.
Thanked by:
first of all, download a c++ compiler, there are plently on the web.
once you start cmake use the folder "hertools-master" as source and any folder you want for the binary, and you're pretty much done.
When you start cmake specify your compiler at the begining.
Sorry if I didn't respond quickly, but i was sleeping
Thanked by:
If you're OK with waiting, I can make my own program for it. I've been reading the code and I'm pretty sure I understand the format.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(02-14-2017, 02:31 AM)kendotlibero Wrote: first of all, download a c++ compiler, there are plently on the web.
once you start cmake use the folder "hertools-master" as source and any folder you want for the binary, and you're pretty much done.
When you start cmake specify your compiler at the begining.
Sorry if I didn't respond quickly, but i was sleeping

I tried that and it failed.

(02-14-2017, 04:28 AM)puggsoy Wrote: If you're OK with waiting, I can make my own program for it. I've been reading the code and I'm pretty sure I understand the format.

I'm fine with waiting. Thank you.
Thanked by:
Here ya go, open source for anybody interested. Just go to the releases tab to download the actual program. Should be straightforward to use, tell me if you have any issues. (BTW I added the preview for no real reason, just for my own practice.)

Sorry for the delay, I had this done for a while but other things started happening and I forgot to post it here.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I actually am having problems. It may be a broken .NET Framework installation, but static images have a blue hue. The top it what I get extracted, while the bottom is a screencap of the game:
[Image: pBjLVW3.png]

Also, animations are messed up:

[Image: FT55Y86.png]

These are also from a later game than the sample files I linked to before. You can find the files I tested here.
Thanked by:
I'll have to look into those. Are the ones from the samples you linked (like Spider.avf) correct though?
Thanked by:
(03-06-2017, 04:36 AM)puggsoy Wrote: I'll have to look into those. Are the ones from the samples you linked (like Spider.avf) correct though?

The spider animation frames are undistorted, but they're pretty blue.
Thanked by:
Right, that just means that my channel ordering is wrong (couldn't tell since I hadn't played the games). I'll have to look into that distortion though.
Thanked by:
Alright, fixed the problems. Just download the latest version on the same page.
Thanked by:
[Image: EaYzjmm.jpg]

I'd say it works pretty good now! Thanks.

EDIT: Some of the animations still seem to be slanted, but they're not what I'm most concerned about.
Thanked by:
Here are some examples of still-distorted files.
Thanked by:
Update: many files ending in 'x' crash the program.
Thanked by: