Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
GameBoy/VirtualBoy Palette
I was looking for Super Mario Land sprites in Spriter Resource, when i notice one thing... that wasn't the right colors, i mean just look it:

[Image: 9e6LVQd.png]

Shouldn't looks like that, i think that should looks like this:

[Image: s0fOxrb.png]

Better, don't you think? What i'm trying to say is that we need a color base to know what colors should have gameboy games... here i'll post the gameboy real palette:

[Image: I7e6YED.png]

And Virtual Boy too:

[Image: knxhKJI.png]

I'm not 100% sure that this are the correct palettes so let me know if i'm wrong, i want to fix the GameBoy/VirtualBoy sprites but first i need to know the right palette!
Thanked by:
I looked at 3 different emulators to see what palette they use and this is my result:

As you can see the difference is very minor.

Left:
#ffffff
#aaaaaa

Right:
#f8f8f8
#a8a8a8

The palette on the right looks better in my opinion and you can actually see the white color on a white background. (Because it's not pure white.)
[Image: stitch_hi_by_guy_who_does_art-d7hridu.jpg]
Thanked by:
I don't think there is a "palette" per se.
Correct me if I'm wrong but GB and VB hardware simply read the planar tile data and interpret 00 as no light passed, 01 as some light passed, 10 as more light passed and 11 as all light passed.
The emulator developers simply chose to represent these varying levels of light passed as different coloured pixels.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: puggsoy, SuperFlomm
Pretty sure you're right, Sam. The best way to turn these into 24-bit colours would be just copying over the 2 bits over and over. So for instance 10 would become 1010 1010 1010 1010 1010 1010 = #aaaaaa. I would consider the first list that Flomm gave to be the most correct.

I would assume that it's a similar case for the Virtual Boy, but then restricted to the red channel:

#ff0000
#aa0000

I don't really know much about the Virtual Boy though so I could be wrong here.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: SuperFlomm
(12-09-2016, 07:33 AM)SuperFlomm Wrote: I looked at 3 different emulators to see what palette they use and this is my result:

As you can see the difference is very minor.

Left:
#ffffff
#aaaaaa

Right:
#f8f8f8
#a8a8a8

The palette on the right looks better in my opinion and you can actually see the white color on a white background. (Because it's not pure white.)

Soooo, the best palette would be the Right as you said? Or at least the best palette that we can get?
Thanked by:
puggsoy's argument sounds pretty convincing. So these are probably the most accurate palettes.

#ffffff
#aaaaaa

#ff0000
#aa0000
[Image: stitch_hi_by_guy_who_does_art-d7hridu.jpg]
Thanked by: Sunny Cassette, puggsoy
Does any emulator do the alternate Super Gameboy/Gameboy Color palettes? One of the palettes there (Left+B I think) is probably as close to the grayscale as we could get. And I think another did the greenscale from the original Gameboy too.

EDIT:

I found a version of VBA that actually lets me do the BIOS screen. The hex for the Left+B palette is:
White #F8F8F8
Light Gray #A0A0A0
Dark Gray #505050
Black #000000
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by: