Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Amiga Ripping Methods?
Heyo, VGR. It's Neon! Big Grin

So I was thinking about ripping the enemies from the Amiga version of First Samurai (Reason is because in the SNES port, the developers decided to redraw the human enemies as demons, goblins, and robots for some odd reason.), but I need some help. Do any of you know some good methods for ripping sprites (not backgrounds) from Amiga games?

If so, please share them with me cuz I couldn't find any on the site's search function.
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
I don't know how you couldn't find anything, but I had this same issue a month ago and someone helped me on this thread.

https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-30083.html
Thanked by:
Look for a tool called Maptapper, it can load WinUAE savestates to rip sprites
[Image: lhjFt57.gif][Image: sX7JK6W.gif][Image: 4BB3IOO.gif][Image: qHY3ZCP.gif][Image: oCiv6RT.gif][Image: RNSMdiR.gif][Image: gx5wm3G.gif][Image: ld7rSgS.gif]
Thanked by:
(12-04-2016, 04:43 PM)Magma Dragoon Wrote: Look for a tool called Maptapper, it can load WinUAE savestates to rip sprites

Alrighty then. Once I aquire that program, and WinUAE, AND a rom of The First Samurai, I'll try it out (Man, I've got a lotta stuff to download!  Tongue ).
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Oy vey.

I haven't even started the game, and already I'm having problems: first, the version of WinUAE I installed doesn't come with "kickstart roms" which, for some reason, is required to even play the actual game roms. Second, there's no folder for me to place the kickstart roms or the game roms. And to top it all off, I forgot what settings WinUAE needs to be on in order to rip sprites via Maptapper.

Sweet Moonbutt, no wonder we hardly have any Amiga sprites on this site; the process to get them is so damn complicated! Ded
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Yeah, it's frustrating as hell. I tried ripping Trolls, a licensed game based on the Troll Dolls, but forgot to continue.

If you need the Kickstart ROMs, you can find them easily with Google. That's how I managed to get all of them in a zip archive.
You also need to make a folder named "Kickstart" in the "Amiga Files" folder, which is located in Documents, and put them there.
ROMS just go in the "Amiga Files" folder as well. Hope that helps.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: Neon Streak
(12-12-2016, 07:33 PM)Dolphman Wrote: Yeah, it's frustrating as hell. I tried ripping Trolls, a licensed game based on the Troll Dolls, but forgot to continue.

If you need the Kickstart ROMs, you can find them easily with Google. That's how I managed to get all of them all in a zip archive.
You also need to make a folder named "Kickstart" in the "Amiga Files" folder, which is located in Documents, and put them there.
ROMS just go in the "Amiga Files" folder as well. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Big Grin I got that sorted out...

...But now I've run into a new problem: when I try to boot The First Samurai up in WinUAE, I immediately get taken to a crack screen (Which was quite common on the Amiga back in the day, according to TCCF.net) and the game doesn't play. I would post a screenshot of this crack screen, but since I can't figure out how to upload images on this site without them appearing as broken I'll just type out what the screen says in a spoiler. Wink
And since I need to have a savestate of the game in order to rip sprites with Maptapper...well, I guess I won't be ripping sprites from this game after all.  Cry Although, it does make you wonder how the professional sprite rippers worked around these crack screens.
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
These crack screens can be skipped by left-clicking on the mouse.
[Image: lhjFt57.gif][Image: sX7JK6W.gif][Image: 4BB3IOO.gif][Image: qHY3ZCP.gif][Image: oCiv6RT.gif][Image: RNSMdiR.gif][Image: gx5wm3G.gif][Image: ld7rSgS.gif]
Thanked by:
Okay, I think the roms I acquired must be broken or something, because every time I start the game it always freezes at the opening cutscene (Y'know, when the samurai slashes his sword at the screen.) and the graphics glitch up as well. To make matters worse, the music kept playing even though the screen was frozen. I've tried changing the settings of the emulator, but the game keeps glitching up and freezingat the exact same place. What is this, a Vinesauce corruption? Angry

I-I give up. I really wanted to rip sprites from this game, but how can I do that if the game keeps freezing at the opening? (I know it's not impossible, since someone already ripped the samurai's sprites and the tiles for level 1.) I was also thinking of (as an alternative) ripping sprites from the DOS version-since it uses the same graphics as the Amiga version-but the file format for the sprite sheets was .PIC, and I couldn't find any programs that could open them nor a program that could convert them to another file format. Sad 

Since Maptapper requires savestates in order to rip graphics, could someone who can actually make the game run take some and send them to me? Please? Shy
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
* Where did you download the rom from? I usually get mine from either Emuparadise or Planetemu.
* Did you set the correct Amiga model in the settings? Depending on the game, it won't work in later models.

I'll take a look at the rom and see if I can run it.
Thanked by:
I got the ROM (Or should I say ROMs, since there were two parts.) from Emuparadise.

As I said earlier, I tried adjusting the emulator's settings, but the game always glitched up after the company logos and froze right before the samurai slashes his sword at the screen. What settings should I set the emulator to in order for the game to work properly?
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Hm, take a look: http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopi...ba6c4afd10
Thanked by:
Hey, I got this game working!

[Image: u8jSa2w.png]

You must set the hardware to A500+, basic non-expanded configuration.
Thanked by:
Thanks. Wink

I've already taken a savestate and opened it up in Maptapper. I scrolled down and found what appears to be the sprites for the game (And their palette.), however they appear to be all jumbled up and messy:

Do you know how to make them look more properly aligned? I'd google a tutorial but the only ones I could find were for ripping map tiles, not sprite tiles. Sad
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
You have to tinker with the W, R and S, F keys to align them. T, Y and G, H allow to resize the tile window.
Thanked by: