Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I have a mission; but how is my organization?
Hey guys! I'm... well, not necessarily new to this site, but this is my first time actually contributing, because I noticed:

"Damn, Deoxys, where do you think all those Mystery Dungeon tilesets went? Look at the effort that went into ripping all the Pokemon! Wouldn't you think they'd do the same for the dungeon tiles?"

So that what I've come here to do--to attempt to do what seemingly so few people have done before and actually rip the meat and potatoes out of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeons--the dungeons!

It's been EIGHT YEARS! Like, holy crap Batman! You'd think people would have noticed these games by now, but still nobody even knows where the 8x8 fog/sandstorm tiles are stored in the tilemaps under the right palettes! Not even I can find them; and you can be sure I'd rip 'em in a heartbeat if I could.

Okay, so now that I have a pretty good preface to this post, here's the real deal: my goal here is to rip every single dungeon tileset from Red/Blue/Time/Darkness/Sky, and doing that will require lots of organization in my spritesheets so that I'm not overwhelmed. Ideally, there could also be a new section created under each game since cutscene backgrounds are definitely different from randomly-generated assortments of tiles. Here's how Beach Cave turned out:

[sheet too wide; here's a link instead http://puu.sh/s9ssP.png]

My format is simple: Have a "key" to the left so that it's clear in what context each tile in that row is to be used, and have the water palette be above some empty space to the left so that I can cookie-cutter in palettes that are really long without having to stretch the canvas (for example, Great Canyon's--that one took a while to do).

However, is anyone bothered by the amount of empty space that my layout of tiles causes?

Chasm Cave is REALLY pushing it with the organized yet empty space caused by my layout that works nearly consistently for other tilesets:

[Image: s9sH5.png]

There's another variation of the Chasm Cave tileset that has just as much empty space as this one. It's almost a recolor, but it has some different edge tiles, and I think it would be really really cool if it could be just one dungeon tileset per sheet. After all, lots of dungeons have different tilesets halfway through that are completely different from the first one! I feel I should treat Chasm Cave's second tileset as equally as the others so that it's consistent the whole way through with these sheets.

Lastly, I really hope those small edits on Beach Cave (and a select other few) don't disqualify the whole sheet--it's pretty evident that, as with most tile-based pixel games, each 24x24 dungeon tile uses particular 8x8 tiles. The lack of some certain dungeon tile variations in certain columns bothered me into making more tiles in the faithful format. I kept all the originals on the sheet, though, which is probably the most important part.

What do you think? How is everything so far?
Thanked by:
Sure, why not? If you think it has a good overview, do it.

And empty space is not neccessarily higher file size, which is a bit more important. If everything is organized and a certain grid can't be filled, then it is how it is. The sheet itself isn't so big that it demands a cut.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
Thanked by:
Hell YEAH ! Hail Deoxys !
[Image: wb66Dx0.png]
Heavy Metal Power Cool Van Halen
Thanked by: