Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Which one should I buy?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
New Nintendo 3DS!
0%
0 0%
New Nintendo 3DS XL!
100.00%
9 100.00%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

New Nintendo 3DS vs New Nintendo 3DS XL- which to buy?
Exclamation 
Hello,

I acknowledge that this is not a very important topic to discuss, but recently I came around this two consoles at a prettty good offer. I need one of them in order to simplify some of my "projects" regarding ripping the 3DS, and do some streams.

Here I will display some info for comparison.
Both prices I found are in the country's currency, but I will change to an average rate of € to make it easy for you.

New 3DS- 300RON- 60€
New 3DS XL- 500 RON- 100€

If you don't know the specs, look it up. 
N3DS has swappable faceplates (can be made of interesting types of materials, like wood plastic, glossy, great if you drop it and has some scratches), sharper imagery, higher portability, Super Famicom-like buttons for XABY, stable hinge when open/close, cheaper price tag.
The N3DS XL has bigger screen (great for me and other people's eyes), a more mature look and nicer material, bigger battery life, big size, great for my large hands and future usage of the ZL/ZR buttons.

(I don't know which one of them I would get will have a TN screen- consumes less battery, image is a bit smudgy, or an IPS screen - clear image contrast on any angle, great for super stable 3D, at the price of battery life. I don't care that much as long as I can play the games normally and I can do my suff. Do you guys care that much which is which?)

Here is a link to test your 3DS screen on your browser (max brightness, no auto-brightness mode is recommended!)
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
On IPS screens you shouldn't be able to see the outline of the black squares until number 8 and up. On TN screens the squares should become apparent at 4 and up.

So, what do you guys think? I could get the normal N3DS right now as I have the money, and my birthay is coming close, or I could wait and gather a bit more for the N3DS XL one, getting it possibly on Christmas. Either one, I would mostly choose black. The sooner the response, the better, the stocks are limited!
FINAL UPDATE:
This is it. I finally got the Monster Hunter Generations Edition. Worth it for half the price, barely even used, notably new, glossy covers, but accompanied by a fabric cover. Thank you all so kindly for all your dedicated time to answer my questions. Have a happy gaming!

Regards,
//✩drot
Thanked by:
XL all the way. You can't beat that bigger screen. Probably not the best time to be buying a 3DS though with the Switch not too far away.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: Adrot
(10-30-2016, 05:35 AM)Goemar Wrote: XL all the way. You can't beat that bigger screen. Probably not the best time to be buying a 3DS though with the Switch not too far away.
Yeah, you may be right, but there are still some games I need to rip from. I still wanna see the 3D (I meam filming and making photos in 3D is one and even some games, I have two from 2013, and still don't know how they look like), not to mention It will ease up some of my ripping projects, and the Switch is a novelty, 299€ (If that would be the price) would be 1500 RON, which at the same time could manage to afford a Nvidia GTX 900-1000 series graphics card. 
I don't have a good TV for the Switch, we don't even know how to rip it yet, and games would cost me 26€-130 RON. 
Yeah, I think I can survive without the Switch for some time, until someone manages to hack it, you know.
--SOME PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT--
  • Red Crown Archives: Dedicated to preserve Cing's legacy (Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Last Window, etc)

-I WON'T BE AROUND TOO MUCH ON FORUMS, SO PM ME IF NECESSARY-
.. / .... --- .--. . / - --- / ... . . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -.. .-. . .- -- ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .. ... .... . ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .... . -. / .-- . / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / -- . . - / .- --. .- .. -.
Thanked by:
What the hell did I do to deserve the giant text? You didn't even mention anything about ripping it... jeez
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
(10-30-2016, 11:11 AM)Goemar Wrote: What the hell did I do to deserve the giant text? You didn't even mention anything about ripping it... jeez

Sorry, journalism habit. Those are my "projects", if you see my signature, that's why I need one of them. I appreciate your opinion nonetheless (I like bigger screens too), just pointed out some disadvantages of the Switch.
(Edited so now everyone can understand).
  • Red Crown Archives: Dedicated to preserve Cing's legacy (Hotel Dusk, Another Code, Last Window, etc)

.. / .... --- .--. . / - --- / ... . . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -.. .-. . .- -- ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-- .. ... .... . ... .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .... . -. / .-- . / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / -- . . - / .- --. .- .. -.
Thanked by:
Having bought both versions, I wholeheartedly choose XL. Those Games are so much better when you can more clearly see the wonderous detail put into the graphics, and it's easier to play games like Kid Icarus Uprising and Star Fox 64 3D when you have a larger screen and can more effectively see where the millions of underworld monsters and space pilot bullets are coming at you from.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

(10-30-2016, 01:18 PM)Shade Wrote: Having bought both versions, I wholeheartedly choose XL. Those Games are so much better when you can more clearly see the wonderous detail put into the graphics, and it's easier to play games like Kid Icarus Uprising and Star Fox 64 3D when you have a larger screen and can more effectively see where the millions of underworld monsters and space pilot bullets are coming at you from.
Hello again Shade,
you hit the nail on the head with that one. (It really is crucial for the small, oncoming objects, even Hyrule Warriors) But, if the main point is the screen we are talking about... What do you think about choosing a N3DS and also get an old 3DS XL with Circle Pad Pro? They both match the N3DS XL's price tag, and could also be used for local multiplayer with friends (1 for him, 1 for me.)

Thanked by:
XL if you're that adamant about getting the best. Besides it has way more capability than the regular 3ds considering you have Amiibo support and SNES VC.

Not to mention that some games run better on it. Even the regular 3ds still struggles running some games considering.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
well, you're in europe, so at least you can buy the black new 3ds ):

im the loon who prefers the regular size new 3ds because i CAN switch the faceplates and i'm a geek for that.

but if you don't plan on taking the thing out of the house, just get the new 3DS XL
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
my new 3ds xl works just fine. most of the games i have run 60fps and for the most part i can see what i'm doing on the top screen (except sm4sh...i often lose sight if my character for brief moments. that's probably due to the effect of far camera angles on a small resolution screen).
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Haven't informed myself about the surface of the XL, but if available you should get a non-glossy version or else you'll have visible fingerprints all over the 3DS.

I say that because my Wii U gamepad is glossy and you see every little finger touch, also it gets greasy after some time.
[Image: dariC.png][Image: tumblr_mlf109xOe81rmu6i5o1_250.gif][Image: b0KxM.gif]
How about neither!? The great Tendo of Nin is dying a slow deadly death of dying death and decay! I bought my missus the Zelda 3ds XL when Link Between Worlds came out and it's collecting dust at an accelerated rate that it will soon gather enough mass to create its own gravitational pull. Invest in an Android capable phone: Download a shitload of games for free and voila... YOU'VE GOT GAME BOY! XD
Thanked by:
(11-07-2016, 06:23 PM)Ecelon Wrote: How about neither!? The great Tendo of Nin is dying a slow deadly death of dying death and decay! I bought my missus the Zelda 3ds XL when Link Between Worlds came out and it's collecting dust at an accelerated rate that it will soon gather enough mass to create its own gravitational pull. Invest in an Android capable phone: Download a shitload of games for free and voila... YOU'VE GOT GAME BOY! XD

But I already have a decent Android Phone-The Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 550KL, the Adreno in it it's already perfect. I played a lot, I composed songs, stories, sprites, but it's kinda useless when you already have a DSi XL for the fun.
I already said that it would help me in my "ripping" stuff (The New version, that is), and side note, I already have 2 games for the 3DS that are gathering dust since 2012 because of a misuderstanding in my family that never got sorted out (for the best or worse, since the lauch of the new one). Also, Ninty doesn't seem to die that easy. From what I can recollect, the Switch had millions of views, and that just in the teaser. ᴬᶰᵈ ᵗʰᵉ ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐˢ, ᵗʰᵉʸ ᵈᶦᵈᶰ'ᵗ ᶠᵃᵈᵉ ᶠᵒʳ ᵐᵒʳᵉ ᵗʰᵃᶰ ⁵ ʸᵉᵃʳˢ⋅⋅⋅ ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵗᵒ ᵍᵉᵗ ᶦᵗ﹗

Thanked by:
I'd go with the New 3DS XL, it's got a pretty sleek design and a pretty nice, big screen on it. It's perfect for games like Pokémon X & Y and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and as mentioned earlier in this thread Star Fox 64 3D and Kid Icarus Uprising benefit greatly from the increased screen size as well.

Maybe the only problems with it are the fact you can't change the faceplates on it and the fact it tends to have somewhat low battery life sometimes, but if you turn the 3D off it should last a while longer on the go. On the flipside, at least the battery life on the XL is a lot better compared to the original N3DS.
"You know what they say... The more, the merrier!"
Thanked by:
Update: I was THIS close on getting an N3DS XL Monster Hunter Limited Ed. for half the price, just so the guy would turn off the offer from the site days later. Here I stand, wondering if he did it so I can get it (He was going on the country in the weekend). So I message him, but no answer. Trying on Whatsapp, nothing, and also he deletes his profile photo (weird). Tired, I call him today, only to get a message later that he sold it to someone else....THE FEELS. They didn't knew...they never knew...what potential I could had brought.
If I could raise the Nintendo awareness in Eastern Europe, these consoles wouldn't cost so much on stores! Sad

Thanked by: