Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
An Unpleasant Question
Question 
Absolute Convenience is a person not having to recolor a sprite when they need it.
Absolute Convenience is a person not having to flip and rotate a sprite when they need it.
Absolute Convenience is a spritesheet that has every possibility considered.
Absolute Convenience is a spritesheet that doesn't require mandatory guesswork and assembly.
Absolute Convenience is a spritesheet that displays exemplary neatness and arrangement.
Absolute Convenience is one of the greatest friends an animator can ask for.

Absolute Convenience... is the enemy of tedium, inconsideration, and moral myopia.

People of TSR, before I present my case, all that I ask of you right here and right now is to see for yourself and compare these sheets with one another and make a decision based on your findings.

Random Talking Bush is a long-time and well-respected member of TSR.
As an Administrator, he has moral responsibilities which are to protect and preserve the integrity of the archive by accepting good-quality submissions and rejecting poor-quality ones.
And this responsibility requires both impartial judgement and a keen eye for details.

But out of the recent and mild pain in my heart... there is a question that I wonder why I being forced to ask.

Why?

Why has Random Talking Bush... suffered a lapse of judgement and, in doing so, shirked his moral responsibilities to TSR?

Why has he willingly obstructed me, due to moral myopia, in spite of the absolute truth that my three Spritesheets, which have been rejected by him, are of the most Supreme Quality made possible and are thus the perfect replacements for his submission which is, beyond a shadow of doubt, obsolete?

Why has he committed... a dishonorable act of hypocrisy by protecting his own submission from me?
Thanked by: SKELTON S. SKELETON
Excuse me sir but I don't see any reason to replace somethign that's already good with something you made. Seems quite egotistical eh?
You've already done this before from what I've heard. Just becasue you have some "high level quality" over someone elses rip doesn't give you permission to replace it. Sheets should only be replaced if they're bad or missing something, and the sheet you want to replace isn't missing anything super major.
Grow up.

Thanked by: Garamonde, Gors
In addition to what OS-PRIME said above, as much as I appreciate you sticking to character (seriously your posts read like they're coming directly from your avatar, which is pretty great honestly) they're so difficult to read. I mean this "absolute truth" and "Supreme Quality" stuff is beyond my lowly sprite ripper comprehension. Dumb it down, please. Everything reads like a 14th-century court transcript.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Garamonde, puggsoy, Kosheh
I personally believe that you have no right to question RTB's methods on site sheeting, when you can't clearly state the real way submissions are accepted. You seem very egotistical about you having the "three greatest sheets", but, they were rejected anyway. Why? Because, they don't meed TSR standards, and are pointless to replace if something already there is fine. Basically, I'm tailing off what the others said. There's no point in writing a court case about sprite sheets that were rejected for a valid reason. I feel like I'm reading a complaint right now. Why don't you just ask him instead of "presenting your case to the community"? Some of us aren't questioning other staff member's methods they were; taught properly on rejection/approval, and we would love to not have to read this nonsense.
Thanked by: Garamonde, OS-PRIME
I don't much use nor care for Sprites, haven't for years. But in my opinion, Arima's sheet updates are superior in the fact that they have alternate palettes, which as a submitter of models, if I submit a model: for example the Bear from Scarlet Blade. Since the Bear has alternate diffuse maps for the same model, it was best to have the alternates in the same .zip as the default instead of separate ones for each Bear. Personally, it'd be easier for his "updates" be approved on this basis alone, considering it saves others having to re-colour the sheet, and contains alternates.

If that don't work out Arima, just submit each separate sheet and get your submission count up. Plus mate, love your style of typing. It's pretty cool. XD
Thanked by: Arima
But it's really pointless having the same sprites recoloured multiple times. The better option would be just have the palettes on the side.
Rather than copying & pasting the spritesheet for every palette, because it's unnecessary.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: OS-PRIME, Garamonde
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/su...ostlevels/
[Image: 52e.png]
imo this is the actual way to archive game art
[Image: cKfiI0F.png]
Thinking of you, 
wherever you are.
Thanked by: Arima
(09-20-2016, 11:39 PM)Dolphman Wrote: But it's really pointless having the same sprites recoloured multiple times. The better option would be just have the palettes on the side.
Rather than copying & pasting the spritesheet for every palette, because it's unnecessary.

I understand that, I'm just looking at it from what I've had to do in the past to submit different textures for the same model. It does work out to be lower file size, but in all honesty. I'd rather a larger file size, than waste the time it takes to recolour it is all. I'm also not stating that RTB HAS too change it. My opinion is that it would work out more efficient doing it Arima's way. Than again, differ resource = different rules I guess LOL
Thanked by:
Sad 
Is it not the truth that human civilization, which has existed for more than 15000 years, has an infinite desire for excellence and convenience?
To always aspire and strive for a higher standard is to serve a greater good for the sake of humanity.
And there is no such thing as unnecessary when it comes to absolute convenience for the animators that use sprites.

This is what I now believe in as a perfectionist.

I am truly sorry to Random Talking Bush for this... reproach.
My heart still beats with anxiety and regret for fear of the reprisals I've seen here and I really wish that it didn't have to come to this.
Thanked by:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_comp...eet/83231/

This character has 21 alternate palettes. I find it hard to believe that anybody thinks it's genuinely better to submit 21 extra versions of the entire sheet, rather than just 1 sheet with 21 single frames of each palette along with the palette strip. It just bloats the page.

This is how game developers do it. They don't store dozens of sheets for each character, they store the palettes and apply them to the sprites in-game. I think that people using sprites ripped voluntarily and for free can be bothered to substitute palettes themselves.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
(09-21-2016, 06:07 AM)puggsoy Wrote: This is how game developers do it.

Maybe I'm going off topic here, but this sentence has interesting implications.

I mean, you're exactly right. That's how game developers do it. But game developers also not only re-use sprites with different palettes, they also re-use tiles with different attributes. Hell, backgrounds and levels are simply different tiles with different palettes and attributes re-used. Superfluous palettes are obviously annoying, but technically, aren't superfluous tiles too?
PNG in itself does nothing to solve the problem, because for image parsers, PNGs are just a huge array of pixels (and a CLUT in 8-bit PNGs, sure).

There's no all-around solution for the problem, but if we had a universal SPRITE file format, that, unlike a PNG which only defines image width, height, a color lookup table and content, takes into account the bit depth of tiles, their arrangement in the X/Y plane, their flip/priority attributes, sprite origin, palettes and all that jazz, we would not only save tremendous amounts of space, but also standardise all NES/GB/Genesis/SNES/whatever sprites to a common format that offers insight for ROM hackers and animators, easy editing and easy palette swapping.

Of course there's no support for such thing yet, but aseprite comes close with its format.
Once there was a way to get back homeward
Thanked by: puggsoy
not all heroes wear capes

y'know i was actually for arima's case, until i noticed that RTB's sheet contained a palette for the colors seen in Arima's sheet, making it sorta redundant

I think? if RTB's sheet added transparency, and one recolored sprite of each Mario palette (as a base of reference next to the palettes) it'd be perfect.

arima's is pretty nice though and it's hard to argue with a world war II naval captain, especially when the supreme emperor hirohito commands we add these sheets to the site
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Ton, puggsoy
This thread is dumb and needless but it's been solved anyway

Just keep in mind that flipping an image and recoloring them is not "Absolute Convenience" because it bloats the sheet and therefore it takes longer to download sheets this way. Have some consideration for those who have low internet speeds.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: TomGuycott
For making such a big stink, I don't see any unused Luigi palettes anywhere. :p
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by: