Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Using Ripped Models for Reference
Hey guys; I'm pretty new here, so I thought I'd make a thread about a topic I don't think has been covered. Sorry if it already has.

So I've really been getting into making 3D models; it's something new, fresh and entirely different. I'm used to drawing but I felt modeling 3D objects would be a nice change. I found the Models Resource (which is damn sweet) and began downloading the many ripped models across various games. The main reason I did this was to figure out how they were made. I wanted to study the topology and how different models were constructed. I find it very educational and I have learned a lot more about making 3D models from that alone.

This brings me to the topic at hand: is the act using ripped models for reference acceptable? I've seen people use concept art and 2D image planes as reference to create 3D models, so would using a three dimensional object be justified too? I understand there are ethical concerns such as copyright, the construction of topology, etc, to account for, but I think it would help beginners get to grips with the construction of a mesh since you can see how all the vertices are connected.

I am unsure if there have been cases of people outright ripping models from games and then tweaking them for their own endeavors (E.G. edit the mesh, repaint the textures, alter animations, etc), but I don't think using reference material to guide the structure of the mesh is necessarily a bad thing, right? At least not commercially, surely? For non-commercial projects I think there would probably be more lenience but I totally understand if:
  1. They fail to credit the original source.
  2. They used the modified model in a commercial project.
What do you guys think? Do you think it's okay to use an already-existing model whilst also being trans-formative with your own model? Or do you think otherwise?
B)
Thanked by:
It depends on how original it is.

If you using a ripped model as a base, and you're making a original model with it as a reference (Not editing). I think it's fine.

I have no idea if actual edits are allowed.
I like to make models in my free time. I also make weird games, too.
Thanked by:
Sounds reasonable, especially if it's constructing the topology of a face, intricate hard-surface models or even if you're working on an animal (E.G. a dinosaur). I imagine edits are not.
B)
Thanked by: