Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Super Nintendo CD (Theories on Graphical Capabilities)
Big Grin 
Have you ever wondered about what the Super Nintendo CD unit would be capable of? I've always found the Sega CD to be a fascinating add-on, and it's a shame it didn't do too well. The idea of having CD quality music with improved graphics in the early 1990's sounds pretty appealing, and the games I saw that could have been released for it would have been pretty good too. 

So, I propose a bit of alternate history to imagine the creation of SNES CD. Let's say for some reason, technology stalls, and the Playstation is the very furthest in advanced technology that you can get for the age. 1995 tech is the cut-off date. BS-X is permitted too. So if technology stalled there, I feel that Nintendo would have kept making the SNES CD, and thus many late era SNES games such as Chrono Trigger and Terranigma would be made for the console instead of the SNES itself. Even Final Fantasy 7, once slated for the SNES, would likely find it's way on to this device, meaning that we would probably get the New York City based story for it instead.

What kind of visuals do you think we would see (In general, or any particular game of your choosing from that age)? What sort of capabilities would the SNES CD have in your opinion?
Thanked by: