Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mario characters in Undertale style
Just an idea I had. I had a battle idea for Bowser completely fleshed out as well, but I thought I'd start with something simple(ish). Compared with Asgore for size.

[Image: bvCWvdH.png]
I make webcomics. You can check it out if you want.

[Image: Thomas%20amp%20Zachary%20banner%202_zpsyzdyyste.png]
Thanked by:
I think if you are truly aiming to replicate the Undertale style you are best starting with a blank sheet. Undertale sprites are angled very straight. What that means more specifically is that we are not viewing the character from above but rather at eye level. The Bowser sprite from M&L is more of a bird's eye view. We can't change that sprite to the correct perspective so it would need to be sketched out and drawn from scratch.

I also wonder if Bowser should have a smaller head to better fit that style too. Incidentally, did any Undertale sprites have that many bright colours at once? So many questions...
Thanked by:
(06-09-2016, 11:32 AM)Silversea Wrote: I think if you are truly aiming to replicate the Undertale style you are best starting with a blank sheet. Undertale sprites are angled very straight. What that means more specifically is that we are not viewing the character from above but rather at eye level. The Bowser sprite from M&L is more of a bird's eye view. We can't change that sprite to the correct perspective so it would need to be sketched out and drawn from scratch.

I also wonder if Bowser should have a smaller head to better fit that style too. Incidentally, did any Undertale sprites have that many bright colours at once? So many questions...

I was thinking about that after I posted it. I'll go ahead and do that and see how that turns out.

Thanked by:
I drew my own Bowser. I also omitted two of the colors. Surprisingly he ended up smaller than Asgore.

[Image: tUS71Vq.png]

Thanked by:
I can't help but feel like bowser would be taller then asgore. Asgore and toriel only look really tall because the kid from undertale is short because hes a kid and kids are short.
[Image: 76561198059964992.png]
Thanked by: Garamonde, ~Axis~
Your current sprite does definitely look better. But like Red Haired said, I have a feeling Bowser should be taller. Unless you make Mario around Frisk's side and no have the two sides interact.
[Image: okwksDc.png]
Thanked by:
I think you could play with the proportions too. Bowser looks kind of cartoony...which is not a problem, but he seems like a character that would benefit from a more looming, ominous appearance in that style.

You may also want to desaturate it a little. The yellow is very bright on bowser. Asgore doesn't have any yellow features because it is fair to assume he is more orange, but you can tell his sprite is not bright and colourful. The green is probably ok, but the red and yellow could be toned down.
Thanked by:
(06-10-2016, 07:29 PM)Red Haired Bastard Wrote: Red Haired BastardI can't help but feel like bowser would be taller then asgore. Asgore and toriel only look really tall because the kid from undertale is short because hes a kid and kids are short.

I was thinking about that too. I could make him taller, but also wider to compensate.

Quote:Your current sprite does definitely look better. But like Red Haired said, I have a feeling Bowser should be taller. Unless you make Mario around Frisk's side and no have the two sides interact.

I get the feeling there are a few typos here. Do you mind clarifying what I made bold?

Quote:I think you could play with the proportions too. Bowser looks kind of cartoony...which is not a problem, but he seems like a character that would benefit from a more looming, ominous appearance in that style.

So like a mix between my first and second?

Quote:You may also want to desaturate it a little. The yellow is very bright on bowser. Asgore doesn't have any yellow features because it is fair to assume he is more orange, but you can tell his sprite is not bright and colourful. The green is probably ok, but the red and yellow could be toned down.

I took Bowser's colors from other sprites in the game to help it fit in with the others a tad better. For example, I took the yellow from Flowey, and the Tan skin from Chara's sprite. I could find different shades for the red and yellow.

With all that said, I'll be working on a bigger sprite, but since I'll have to redraw it, it'll take a little bit.

Thanked by:
I made a prototype of just the head. before I move on to the rest of the body, I'd like to know how this looks on it's own.

[Image: hEjYCeN.png]

Thanked by:
Ok, so I know I asked for your opinions on the head, but, I already got the whole sprite done, so here it is:

[Image: 8cLKh2U.png]

Thanked by:
(06-12-2016, 05:46 PM)TheMario360 Wrote:
Quote:Your current sprite does definitely look better. But like Red Haired said, I have a feeling Bowser should be taller. Unless you make Mario around Frisk's side and no have the two sides interact.

I get the feeling there are a few typos here. Do you mind clarifying what I made bold?

The only typo I had was side was supposed to be size. So making Mario the size of Frisk and not have the Mario cast interact with the Undertale cast so the Bowser height wouldn't be an issue. He'll still be bigger in comparison to Mario.

But if you do intend to have it seem like you can insert them into the Undertale game, your current sprite looks good. But there is something weird looking about the hand. Not sure exactly what though.
[Image: okwksDc.png]
Thanked by:
(06-14-2016, 04:04 PM)AkumaTh Wrote: The only typo I had was side was supposed to be size. So making Mario the size of Frisk and not have the Mario cast interact with the Undertale cast so the Bowser height wouldn't be an issue. He'll still be bigger in comparison to Mario.

But if you do intend to have it seem like you can insert them into the Undertale game, your current sprite looks good. But there is something weird looking about the hand. Not sure exactly what though.

It's possible I drew the fist incorrectly. I could fix it.

Thanked by:
That's definitely a great improvement over the first sprite in this thread!

I think these colours work great. There are bright colours in Undertale but I think for this sprite it has benefited from less saturation.
Thanked by: TheMario360
I fixed the hands

[Image: 0fKWAXU.png]

Thanked by:
I made a simple talking animation.

[Image: JCPMKZU.png]

I know characters in Undertale only have two frames for their talking animations, but Bowser's mouth is so big and bulky, it'd look weird being only two frames.

Thanked by: