Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What Systems Did You Own? Most Played Games?
So, growing up, we only actually owned the Sega Genesis, Playstation 1 and all the Gameboys (sans Micro).  Eventually we got PSPs, a PS2, an XBox, A Wii, and I got myself a DS Lite.

Most played Genesis games would be everything on the Sega Genesis 6-Pak (except Super Hang On), the Streets of Rages and Dragon's Fury.
Most played PS1 games were all the Crashes, Final Fantasy Tactics and Legend of Legaia.
Most played GB/C games were the Zeldas, the Pokemons, Kirby Tilt N Tumble, and the Harry Potter RPGs.
Most played GBA games were the Zeldas, Pokemons, Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku Trilogy and Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga.
Most played PS2 games were Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness, Castlevania Curse of Darkness, the Ratchet and Clank games, and a Matrix game.
XBox, all we had were the Halos and Sphinx.
Most played PSP games were Daxter, the 2D Final Fantasy PSP remakes, and Final Fantasy Tactics.
Most played DS games were the Pokemons (Platinum, HeartGold and Black) and Dragon Quest 9.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
From birth I had access to the NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Game Boy, and Atari 2600 by virtue of my mom and uncle owning them. Later on my uncle gave me a NES for myself and my mom purchased a used SNES from a little store run by a guy who would give me free Swedish Fish on occasion. These early years were spent with the Super Mario Bros. trilogy, Super Mario World, Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Balloon Fight, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Circus Games, Super StarWars, Yoshi's Island, Mortal Kombat, and Metroid. Later on my uncle would give me one of his Sega Genesis consoles, and I also got a Sega Game Gear from the same store. I only ever had Sonic the Hedgehog and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, but that was okay. That Power Rangers game is great.

In first grade (I think... 1996 sounds right...) I got the Nintendo 64, which was my first "New From the Store" console which was intended specifically for me. I don't remember which order I got games in, and I would often trade with the neighbor kid, so I went through quite a few different games. At the end of this generation I somehow lost a shitload of my games, and I'm still regretting whatever I did to make that happen. The next thing I got was a Game Boy Color, which I got specifically for Pokemon. Pokemon were the only GBC games I owned as a kid, but I did also have a few older Game Boy games that I used to play on the Super Game Boy. I remember Super Mario Land and Toy Story (which I think was the first game I ever beat on my own). Later on I would get the Game Boy Advance for a birthday before I even knew the console actually existed. I think I got Super Mario Advance and Rayman Advance with that. Man, I loved that thing. My GBA collection was easily the largest of my childhood collections... also the only one where I basically lost everything I owned when we moved.

Next was the GameCube, which my grandmother got me and she also got a buttload of games when I really wanted was Super Smash Bros. Melee. This particular box of gifts actually introduced me to a lot of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise tried, I think, and it's one of the reasons I'm sort of glad when grandparents don't know what any of these games are. They just say to the GameStop guy: "Everything that's fun for a ten year old!" Super Monkey Ball is the standout title from that pile, but it also had Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and showed me that: "Hey, Sonic is on Nintendo now!"

Shadow was so cool!!

I think the next console I got was the PlayStation 2, specifically because I wanted to play Tales of Legendia. I ended up getting it a little early, so I got a copy of Kingdom Hearts 2. For a little while the PS2 replaced the GCN as my preferred device, because I was srs grwn up now gaiz. So I got all my multiplats on PS2. TimeSplitters, Shadow the Hedgehog, etc. Regret that, but I had some good times with the thing. Actually, still do... it's probably the console I've owned the longest which I still use regularly--all the others have needed to be replaced at one point or another.

The DS was the next thing I got, and that was a marvel. Two screens, and one of them knew when I was poking it! My first games were Super Mario 64 DS and WarioWare Touched. Then I got the Wii, and mostly played WiiSports for a long time. I was actually a little jaded on the Wii at first. I don't think I started to really appreciate the thing until around the time I got No More Heroes. Until then I was still pretty much using the PS2 as my main machine.

Oh, I did really like Mario Strikers Charged, though.

Then, let's see... I got a 360 specifically because Tales of Vesperia was coming out (I'm noticing a pattern, here...) as an exclusive. When I got the 360 I also got Left 4 Dead beause "I heard about it on G4." I thought it sucked and I didn't touch the 360 for months. Not until Vesperia came out. After that it became my main machine for most of high school.

That brings us to graduation, I think. Maybe I got a 3DS the year I graduated... but I think I got it in Feb. 2012, which is almost a whole year later. In the years since graduating I've kinda doubled my total console count... XBONE, PS3, Wii U, 3DS. Well, that's not so much. I guess it feels like more because I had to replace my 360 along the way. Oh, and also because I picked up an OG XBOX. And just a shit load of other games for my back compatible consoles. I guess my twenties so far have been defined by indie games and playing catch-up with Microsoft and Sony first party IPs and exclusives, stuff that I pretty much ignored because I grew up with Nintendo.

I still haven't gotten any form of PSP, but that's probably going to change in the next couple of months.

I've never been a huge PC gamer... as a kid I had some of the Sonic games on PC, and I played those pretty often, but I never really played PC-exclusive games. Sometimes I would derp around on flash game portals. A few years ago I decided to get a middle-end PC for this generation, but basically all multiplatform PC ports are garbage so that didn't last long. It was used as an emulation machine, but now I only use it for a couple of games that the Wii Homebrew can't handle... Mainly because the Wii is hooked up to a Sony Trintron, which is way better for playing old games. The only thing I emulate on the PC now is PS1 games, and even those I usually prefer to plunk into my PS2. PC gaming just doesn't hold me, I guess, and it never has. Sitting at a computer just sets my ADHD off, I guess.

Edit: Oh, you know what PC game I had as a kid and absolutely loved? Spider-Man. The one where you have to fight Dr. Octopus and Carnage and they merge at the end. That game was great.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by: redblueyellow, Koh
This will be a long one haha..

So I started playing video games when my parents found a Gameboy Color at a garage sale. All it came with were Centipede and Tetris, which were fun but honestly got boring fairly quickly. Then my birthday came around and my parents got me Pokemon Red. I invested so much time into that game, and was constantly playing it with my neighbors across the street. I still have the same save file that I occasionally start up just for nostalgia's sake. Anyways, with the GBC I only bought the Pokemon games from then on.

I got a Sega Genesis from a garage sale shortly after, which came with about 30 games. I mostly played all of the original Sonic games though. Once the GameCube came out, I wanted to finally buy a new system with the money I had saved. My parents told me that I was only allowed to have one system, so I had to sell the Genesis in order to buy the GameCube (still regret this decision).

My first games for GameCube were Pikmin and Super Smash Bros Melee. I remember picking up my date for Homecoming late because I was busy finishing a level in Pikmin. The GameCube was a shared system between my sister and I, although I invested more time in it than her. Most played games were Melee, Wind Waker, and Kirby Air Ride.

After that came the Wii. Again, same rule of one system at a time, so the GameCube left. Most played games were (still) Melee and Kirby Air Ride, along with Brawl and Mario Kart Wii.

Nintendo DS was between GameCube and Wii, and same with GBC I only bought and played the Pokemon games.

While I was in college I purchased a 3DS and a Wii U. Most played games for both have been Pokemon Y and Super Smash Bros for Wii U, respectively.

I also have a lot of other systems that I have picked up from garage sales. Off the top of my head, I have a NES, SNES, Atari, N64, 3 GameCubes, 4 GBCs, one regular Game Boy, DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U, PS2, PSP, and 2 XBOX 360s. Most of the duplicates are of systems that I am trying to refurbish and resell, but one of the things that I would like to do once I have a place of my own is have a room dedicated to all of the older systems that I have, for whenever I feel the need to play a few hours of Pokemon Snap. Original idea, I know.
[Image: WwmoM3d.png]
Currently working on: working and wedding planning
Thanked by: Koh
childhood:
NES - SMB 1, 2 and 3, Goonies II, Zelda 1&2
GB - Game Boy Camera
PC - some online game sites for kids, those Mario fan games for DOS

tweeny years:
GCN (didn't play it much as a kid) - Wind Waker, Melee, SA2B
GBA - Super Mario Advance 1-4, Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Battle, ALttP/FS, Minish Cap

Nowadays I'm using emulators for retro games (excluding 128-bit consoles) and occasionally play a game on my PS3 and 3DS. I've just been dealing with too many personal things to do anything with my gaming hobby.

oh, and KidPix was one of the best drawing tools out there cuz it was pretty much like a game, lol
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by: Koh
I guess I forgot the PC.

Let's fill that in.

Speedy Eggbert 1 & 2, Mini Golf, Blast Thru, Marble Blast Gold, Graal Online, RuneScape, MapleStory, WindSlayer 1, Korean WindSlayer, WindSlayer 2, Puyo Puyo Fever, Cube World, Terraria, Starbound.
Thanked by: miyabi95_
I used to play an interactive bugs life game on an old PC before i gained the ability to play games by myself. eventually i would come across many fan games (mario, sonic and zelda) and a couple MMOs (GetAmped 2 and a couple others i can't remember)

for as long as i've used computers i've never played a game on steam in my life (outside of at gaming events or conventions)

but believe me, if i had more patience to relearn using a Windows PC, i probably would invest in it so i could stop being an obsolete player :p
Thanked by:
I'm pretty sure Steam is available for all operating systems now.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
It is, but the majority of games are still Windows exclusive, and sometimes available on Mac as well. Linux support is growing, but still not huge, especially in AAA.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
I don't know why people get Macs and expect to do some serious gaming in the first place, lol.

Windows is the default OS for general computers, so naturally it'd be the general default for most games. Developers would have to go out of their way to get extra libraries and stuff for whatever development tool they're using to make ports to other OSes. But then it becomes a question of time versus reward. Is it worth porting to other OSes if the game isn't guaranteed to sell well yet? Or alternatively, is there enough of a market to warrant going through the porting process? Perhaps after the game does well generally, then a port can be considered later, like Terraria did. But initially, it's not a main concern, because most of the PC gamers use Windows. Then there's the matter of testing; if they don't have a machine with the OS they're porting to, or even just a Virtual Machine, they have no way to test if that version actually works correctly and such, and have to rely on others who do to perform the extra testing.
Thanked by:
(06-12-2016, 07:57 AM)Koh Wrote: I don't know why people get Macs and expect to do some serious gaming in the first place, lol.

That wasn't me, if that's what your thinking. Tongue I just wanted to experiment cuz I was getting tired of a faulty HP laptop that i had at the time - i just needed a break from windows, pretty much.

I do appreciate apple products for what they're worth though, moreso than other people. probably one of the best things about a Mac is that you can start customizing it immediately after you get one. you don't have to wait for any preloaded bullshit (besides what the OS needs in order to run properly). I think Macs are the more user-friendly, no-bullshit alternative to Windows. but I'm not saying that I have a huge bias against PCs, because I respect that everyone has a preference. PCs do have their numerous capabilities.

I just realized that I'm straying off topic >.>
Thanked by:
I only had a PlayStation as a kid. I had a bunch of games but my favorites were always Crash Bandicoot Warped and the Marvel vs. Capcom games. Then after a long time I got a PlayStation 2 and got a lot of stuff for that too. Years later I get a Wii and the only games I had for it were Wii Sports, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Klonoa. The only handheld I've ever owned was the 3DS, which I got pretty recently.
Thanked by: miyabi95_, Shade
Apart from the NeoGeo and the crappy consoles (CD-I etc) I know pretty much have the lot.

Most played games: Metal Slug (on PS3 - why is X not on the PSN yet?), WipeOut HD and whatever Monster Hunter is around at the time.

As a kid started with the Mega Drive (so the Sonic games), Pokemon on the Gameboy and all the awesome multiplayer games on the N64 (was good having brothers). Played a lot of Animal Crossing on the GameCube as well - to the point our mother had to make a schedule to avoid arguments (not good having brothers).
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Ooof... I've got a lot of consoles from the Mega Drive being my first to the 360 being my last (got it after the Vita/Wii U). It is easier to name consoles that I don't have such as the Jaguar, 3DO, Saturn (most high profile of the lot), Neo Geo, Wii and the recent consoles. I also don't have any games for the NES.

When I was younger, I was lucky enough to have nearly a console every year since cycles were much shorter. Even got some consoles on launch such as the GBA, Gamecube and the DS. Then I had a break due to being bitter with the PS2 domination so I kept with the handhelds, then bounced back 4 years ago with the PS3 and did a bit of catching up.

As for my most played game, hmm... I've played a lot of Sonic 1 & 2 throughout my lifetime on various consoles, Burnout Legends/Burnout Paradise I both played for months, Super Smash Bros. Melee was my most played GC title and played the GTA/Gran Turismo series heavily due to their content.

For the most played games by console though whether by length or times:
Thanked by:
So as of now i own(never sold a single system)
Atari, NES, SegaMasterSyster, SNES, SegaGenesis, N64, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, XBOX, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, Wii, XBOX360, PS3, DS, 3DS, WiiU and of course several PC's.
As far as favorite games for each systems it's hard to narrow down but a few that come to mind are Mother3(GBA), Wario Land2 (GBC), Banjo Tooie(N64), ChronoCross(PS1), TF2(PC), PaperPario TTYD(Gamecube), XBOX360(DeadRising).

I never fully thought about which games are my favorite for each systems so i'm not sure what they would all be : P
I only have Wii and New 3DS Xl.   Shy
Thanked by: