Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ghostbusters 2016 (And its Controversy)
This is the catch all thread for everything surrounding this upcoming movie.

First, the trailers.
Trailer 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw
Trailer 2:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSmofO_T7Ds

Then, AVGN's video in response to the trailers:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz8X2A7wHyQ
Then, Amazing Aethiest's review of the shitstorm that followed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs59huYF0oI

Where do we even begin with this mess?  The movie itself, or the backlash?
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
Personally not gonna bother. I don't have much money for movies to begin with, and it looks like they took an established series and took a few archetypes to replace the old characters.
It could be alright.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
I have a hunch this is going to be the most pirated movie of all time. People don't want to pay to see it, but they want to watch it to see just how bad it'll be, and rip it a new asshole in reviews.
Thanked by:
Ghostbusters: The Retold Genderbent Cash Grab.

I'd be all for a new cast if it actually had a bit more diversity than just throwing in all female actors and act as some sort of continuation of the original series, which is really my main gripe with this.

And if no one thinks that is impossible I should bring up the case of Extreme Ghostbusters:
[Image: extreme_ghostbusters_by_filbarlow-d3hnlyl-993x731.jpg]

You even got a badass in a wheelchair with one of the original ghostbusters to go along with the goth chick and the two other guys. Don't tell me that this could have been done for this movie instead of what the creative team for this film is trying to do.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
I used to watch Extreme Ghostbusters. Sadly, the school bus came while it was on. Sad As for the Ghostbusters reboot however, I'm just gonna put this here of what I think about the upcoming film:

[Image: 45Yrb9j.png]
Thanked by: Maxpphire
I'm thinking AVGN might cave eventually though, like he did with ET on Atari 2600, lol.  Might make a whole movie shebang about it too...that would probably be funnier than the actual movie, judging by the trailers.
Thanked by:
Something tells me this thread came to be after that post I made in the movie thread explaining why we really think it looks bad.

James Rolfe also uploaded another video about the history of the cancelled sequel.

If it was something like Robert Zemeckis' prevention of a Back to the Future remake. Harold Ramis was probably doing the same.

I've been following Cinemassacre for a long time, and Rolfe has plenty of good reviews on movies. Check out his Monster Madness videos.
Too many idiots only know him as AVGN and that's just sad because he does more than that one famous character who was a big influence to YouTube game critics today. We wouldn't have JonTron or any other YT big name critics if it wasn't for James and his Cinmeassacre team.
One of the awesome things he's done was having Lloyd Kaufman of Troma fame as a special guest for the Toxic Crusaders games review.

I'll probably stick with the ongoing IDW comics as they feel more like the sequels we never got. There's even a crossover with the Ninja Turtles!
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by:
(05-21-2016, 05:43 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: Personally not gonna bother. I don't have much money for movies to begin with, and it looks like they took an established series and took a few archetypes to replace the old characters.
It could be alright.

I have this same opinion myself. It could be good but I think most people are going to bash it. I'm not that into the original Ghostbusters, so I could enjoy it.
[Image: okwksDc.png]
Thanked by:
I think as far as this movie is concerned, I may bother to watch it. I just don't know yet whether or not I will.

But I'm not going to have very high expectations for it just because of the fact the gender bent cast just seems like female portrayals of what the original ghostbusters has already done. It's not that I hate female protagonists (Looking at Samus, Rey, and of course any of Miyasaki's characters, all of which I love) but if you're trying to recapture the original film's essence with very little nod to the original films then, what good is rebooting the franchise if you can get a hold of whatever original cast members that you already have and pass down that torch to a new cast of actors and actresses?

That's what Star Trek did, same with Star Wars. I mean Ghostbusters 3 would have still made enough sense if you at least got some elements of Extreme Ghostbusters in there and perhaps use ideas that were in the scripts that never were meant to be with Akyroyd in the place of Rameus.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
(05-21-2016, 09:04 PM)Uncle Drew Wrote: But I'm not going to have very high expectations for it just because of the fact the gender bent cast just seems like female portrayals of what the original ghostbusters has already done.

The inverse anyway.  The black guy was the normal, reasonable one and everyone else was eccentric somehow.  This one, the black girl is the sassy "dumb" one, and everyone else is a genius.  It's like, a full scale inversion.

Anyone who wants to see the "final boss" of this movie, go here..
It's pretty shitty and lazy of them.
Thanked by:
Question: out of all the negative archetypes they could have picked for Chris Hemsworth... Why 1950's starry eyed housewife? Like the original secretary was a smart woman who was humorously annoyed by the team's scientific antics mixed with prank calls, she comes off as a good character. Chris' character just seems like a random generation of "dreamy made man" plus "aforementioned housewife" like was it hard to make him a "cute but clumsy oaf like a Jimmy Olsen?"
[Image: 1lYIpk9.gif] GET THESE MEMES OFF THE TABLE! -Hiyna
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky
[Image: xG4BaYw.gif]

Also Love Stuff

Hey Look! I support stuff!
Thanked by: DurradonXylles
Just stumbled upon another video that pretty much points out some of the things that James Rolfe and Angry Atheist already mentioned but this time from Comic Book Girl 19

And.... even she thinks the movie is shit.

Also kind of hearkens to a point that the audiences are to blame for allowing Hollywood to do this shit. I think with that said I'm not gonna bother even seeing the film (let alone pirate it)
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by: DurradonXylles
I like AVGN's outlook. I agree that if you don't like something, then there's probably no need to watch/see/play it and cause a big shitstorm, as it clearly doesn't deserve that much attention.

Of course, humans thrive off of negative emotions and drama, so AVGN is the needle in the haystack of people ranting about the movie after watching it.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
The thing about Ghostbusters is that the franchise IS those characters. They make the movie. The idea only works because of them. To separate those characters from that world is to see the idea fail.

And not only is the new movie retreading that ground without any connection to the shoulders it stands on, but it actively is trying to cut ties to that original idea.

It's a fucking ouroboros. It's destroying itself to stay alive and only alive because of the thing it's trying to usurp. It's destined to fail because there's a fundamental misunderstanding of why it even exists.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
http://general-geekery.blogspot.com/2016...s-new.html
I have no shame.
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor