Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[Tutorial] Ripping from Battlefield Heroes (and other BF games)
If you don't understand the significance of what I'm about to say, here is the thing:
Previously, the only way to convert models from Battlefield Heroes, or other BF games using the same format was to download a 10 year old version of Max (Max 9 to be exact) to use a set of Max tools which wasn't 100% reliable, and with that it was both risky and unethical to do such a thing if you didn't happen to be one of the few people on earth that owns it.
With what I'm about to say it works with any 3d modelling program, and not just Max, but anything that supports the .obj format, which is great for those non-max users.
To top off what I'm going to say, Battlefield Heroes is a dead game, meaning there is no way to rip the files with live programs like Ninja Ripper or Ripper DX.

With that being said, let's get started!

1) The hardest step of them all, surely. PM me for the files for this dead F2P game since it is no longer downloadable. (I'd publicly link it, but I don't really want EA to come after wherever I'm hosting the files since they no longer are publicly available.)
Edit: Files can be obtained here.

2) Download the latest version of BFMeshView and then use this modified version of the .exe so the correct UVs export (special thanks to the program's creator for assisting me with this!) - this was a big issue beforehand, as it'd be just one big hour to fix a mess for each individual model and it wouldn't even be true to the original UV.
Note: In regards to .bundlemesh, only the last model/geometry gets exported, which is bad for vehicles and who knows what else. Do not fret though, a fix is currently in the works to export all the models in a .bundlemesh!
Edit: We pretty much stopped at the point where all the models in a .bundlemesh do get exported instead of just the last, BUT they are all one jumbled mess, sorry for the inconveniences. I've gone and uploaded this version.
If you want to know what change was made to the code to make the UV export correctly, here it is:

3) Find and open your model, select the LOD you want (LOD 1 is the best!), and export the model as an .obj by hitting the highlighted export button as shown
If you want to set up your texture path so the materials display in the viewer, go to Tools -> Preferences and press Add under Mod/Texture paths, if the materials appear black in the viewport, disable the GLSL shaders which is under the View drop down.
[Image: Tree_Export.png]

4) Import the model into your favourite modelling program, set up the texture paths, vertically flip the UVs, and viola! (P.S. I didn't flip the UV in the screenshot, lel)
Once in a while the coordinate/location of the UV may be off, to fix it just drag it around and use the built-in UV viewer on BFMeshView for reference as to where it should be.
[Image: Blender_BFHTree.jpg]
Thanked by:
It doesn't work, when I export the model it it makes a .obj files that's only 98 bytes and doesn't contain any OBJ info.

I'm using bf1942 btw
Thanked by:
I'm not sure how extensive the support for BF1942 is as I haven't tried, but I know the program's page mentioned as having some support for 1942 models, maybe it's only partial...? Is it standardmesh (.sm) files you're trying?
Thanked by:
(05-27-2016, 11:33 PM)Segatendo Wrote: I'm not sure how extensive the support for BF1942 is as I haven't tried, but I know the program's page mentioned as having some support for 1942 models, maybe it's only partial...? Is it standardmesh (.sm) files you're trying?

I've got one model up, are there any variants of the soldiers apart from the 1 colonel texture?

Also, can I / How can I export animations?

I also can't see any guns.

Also, when exporting OBJ's the UV's are completely messed up, every time.
Thanked by:
I'm not exactly sure where they kept the other outfits other than the default one. I haven't stumbled across them yet (let's hope it wasn't server sided!)

I see guns. They are in weapons_client.zip. The .bundledmesh files are what you're looking for.

@UVs. Try vertically flipping them! Works for me, even on the guns.
Thanked by:
(09-08-2016, 03:01 AM)Xiron Wrote: I'm not exactly sure where they kept the other outfits other than the default one. I haven't stumbled across them yet (let's hope it wasn't server sided!)

I see guns. They are in weapons_client.zip. The .bundledmesh files are what you're looking for.

@UVs. Try vertically flipping them! Works for me, even on the guns.

nice, i found the same way to do that, but when i import the .obj in blender i have no textures can u help me pls?
Thanked by:
Does it work with Battlefield 1? I think those models would be a great addition to the site.
Thanked by:
@xXKrusty; Please elaborate, there could be many reasons why you don't see the texture in blender. Is the texture actually assigned to the model? etc.

@Puterboy1; I've never downloaded that game, can't say.
Thanked by:
(04-02-2017, 09:19 PM)Xiron Wrote: @xXKrusty; Please elaborate, there could be many reasons why you don't see the texture in blender. Is the texture actually assigned to the model? etc.

@Puterboy1; I've never downloaded that game, can't say.

where did you found the tree?
can't find it ^^
Thanked by:
Hey! Is this thread still on? I've did all the steps, but after importing the file to 3ds max the UV is still broken and it's actually nothing I can work on, as it is very small and very scattered :C

What I did differently - I've downloaded source client from one of the heroes revival sites, but the files seem to be same as in original. In the viewer, it looks ok, but after exporting to obj the UV's are unable to setup properly - seems like to updated .exe is not working after all :C any help with this?

I'm using Max 2017, but Maya 2016 also don't recognize the UV. Same for game engines, like Unity and Unreal
Thanked by:
UV layout screenshot? Using the client from here still works for me.
Thanked by:
(02-08-2018, 09:53 AM)Xiron Wrote: UV layout screenshot? Using the client from here still works for me.

Hey, thanks for prompt response. So I actually think there may be problem with how the viewer is exporting the file. Here you can see example. I've also checked the file in windows 3d viewer and it looks the same as in Max[Image: eZqROsQ.png]I also played with importing obj into 3ds max and when I uncheck "Texture Coordinates" the UV's are better (but still not matching in my opinion, however I cannot even check Big Grin), but I don't think they will work as the geometry itself looks broken - similar cases with all of the buildings from the same build.

Also, screen with UV look after regular importing to Max
[Image: 9p33NB0.png]
Thanked by:
No matter what I try I cannot get something broke like that. :/

There is one thing though. There was an update to the program and I tried it out, and it now shows this when exporting:
[Image: Screenshot_6.png]

It now gives an option to export which UV channel. And as seen on the right in Max 2018, when I export with UV channel 1 it gives me a flawless import where I don't have to modify anything. Maybe try that? Otherwise I dunno. .-.
Thanked by:
Well, I've checked around 4 different version of the viewer, unfortunately all of the .obj files seem to be broken out of the question - I cannot even say what is the problem (like verts flip), as it doesn't resemble anything I've seen before Big Grin. I'll check the program on different PCs, however I already tried on my other one and it simply doesn't launch even after installing runtimes, so I don't have particular high hopes now :C

Damn, wanted to actually recreate Heroes on UE4 with single player mode - I don't suppose there are any large .obj with complete scene so I could seperate objects manually inside 3ds max right?
Thanked by:
Well dang, that's unfortunate.
And nah, they are all separate.
Thanked by: