Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
I wanna try out this art deco sort of thing. Who wants me to try and interpret them?
Taking requests. Figured I'd use this older post because it has examples.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: Hiynastrike
a good way to start in art deco is architecture, because many buildings have been preserved notably buildings like the Empire State Building or The Delano Hotel. But those are two different flavors of Art Deco.

But if you want here is Not Detective Hiyna
[Image: bSbSWFY.jpg]

Alternatively I have bigfoot level photography of guides from the MDPL Museum
http://imgur.com/a/9PsVB
[Image: 1lYIpk9.gif] GET THESE MEMES OFF THE TABLE! -Hiyna
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky
[Image: xG4BaYw.gif]

Also Love Stuff

Hey Look! I support stuff!
Thanked by: psychospacecow
I think I'm mis-attributing the term, actually. I'm aiming for the kind of noire look that is usually accompanied by architecture of that nature.
(04-20-2016, 11:16 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: I think I'm mis-attributing the term, actually. I'm aiming for the kind of noire look that is usually accompanied by architecture of that nature.

Well Noir is completely different, it's a film genre rather than an aesthetic, Although most of the Noir Genre is stylized crime drama takes place in the 1920's-30's and may have an art deco backdrop. There are Neo Noir works which hold to the Film Noir values but take place in a more modern time which may include gross International Style Architecture that came around in the mid 50's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir
http://www.twitch.tv/hiynastrike live when I feel like it... You just gotta get lucky

Also Love Stuff

Honestly, the thing I think of is the old Batman The Animated Series.

(04-20-2016, 11:25 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: Honestly, the thing I think of is the old Batman The Animated Series.

Animated Gothem City leans more on the New York or Chicago side of Art Deco, the dream of building "The City of the Future" Which ties into the Intro's Technology. Dirigibles, and Streamline Cars. The only Art Deco location I've seen at this point is Miami which is less "City of the Future" and moreso "Millionaire Playground"

Also Love Stuff

While the servers were acting up, I asked the same thing on Reddit the other day and got 2 requests.

(04-20-2016, 11:39 PM)Hiynastrike Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 11:25 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: Honestly, the thing I think of is the old Batman The Animated Series.

Animated Gothem City leans more on the New York or Chicago side of Art Deco, the dream of building "The City of the Future" Which ties into the Intro's Technology. Dirigibles, and Streamline Cars. The only Art Deco location I've seen at this point is Miami which is less "City of the Future" and moreso "Millionaire Playground"

I don't believe I've see too much deco outside of some hospitals and such. A lot of the older architecture in my immediate area stems from either the 60s or is less "grandiose". Some of it comes from the 20s. My great great grandma's old home was built around 1910. Again though, the predominate era for buildings I'm familiar with are 60-70s and modern stuff. As it turns out, a lot of those warehouses that used to be used for harbor storage that were replaced by better ones sell pretty cheaply, and all kinds of places fill the gap.

Edit : Let me tell you this though. Nothing quite makes a location memorable to a kid quite like being less than a walking distance from in-use train tracks while staring out a window.
(04-20-2016, 11:40 PM)psychospacecow Wrote:

I don't believe I've see too much deco outside of some hospitals and such. A lot of the older architecture in my immediate area stems from either the 60s or is less "grandiose". Some of it comes from the 20s. My great great grandma's old home was built around 1910. Again though, the predominate era for buildings I'm familiar with are 60-70s and modern stuff. As it turns out, a lot of those warehouses that used to be used for harbor storage that were replaced by better ones sell pretty cheaply, and all kinds of places fill the gap.

Edit : Let me tell you this though. Nothing quite makes a location memorable to a kid quite like being less than a walking distance from in-use train tracks while staring out a window.

I used to live in upstate New York, And when I moved I got to see the Empire State Building, I was younger and didn't understand the architectural beauty of it but the sight of New York City with a storm on the horizon was absolutely breathtaking,
But I Digress, Very nice work on the drawings

Also Love Stuff

I think I'll take your character in a different direction than the detective thing, but I think you'll like it.

People are born kicking and screaming. A good salesman peddles his wares and gets out of there before men revert to that infant tact. That's what made "Strike" Hiyna so famous. He would go town after town, selling snake oil, turpentine, absinthe, anything and everything that had a promise and a message worth more than its weight. That's why we found him. It takes a brave man to go into places he's never been in and bleed them dry. He'll make a good runner now that liquor's banned and unregulated.
Thanked by: Hiynastrike, E-Man
Offer still stands.
Thanked by:
(04-21-2016, 09:43 AM)psychospacecow Wrote: Offer still stands.

If you want, maybe you can Art Deco-fy my two hoodlums Marks and Spence?;

[Image: ghost_gumshoes_on_the_case__by_damian2841-d9yg8g9.png][Image: buddypals_by_damian2841-d9z5li0.png]
[Image: ybRTZvi.png][Image: uw21IJg.png][Image: isLKcbC.png]
Thanked by: Hiynastrike, E-Man, StevenB
I really love it, thank you so much! You've made my day.
[Image: ybRTZvi.png][Image: uw21IJg.png][Image: isLKcbC.png]
Just consider this open unless I say otherwise.
Thanked by:
Taking requests for character drawings tomorrow. If its here before I wake up, its on the list.
Thanked by: