Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Media-Based Games That DON'T Suck?
Name me some games, that were based on movies/books/whatever, that are actually GOOD, instead of the usual shovelware.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head, that I have personally played, would be...

Bug's Life, A (PS1)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's/Philospher's Stone (GBC)
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (GBC)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (GBA)
Lion King, The (Gen.)
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
If my memory serves me well, the game made alongside The Punisher was actually pretty decent for 2004. It was a third person shooter that played kinda like Max Payne.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
The whole string of games from X-Men Legends through Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 are fantastic games, and on a lesser scale (and in the same genre) there's Justice League Heroes--not as good as MUA, but definitely not a bad game by any measure.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for the Super Nintendo is also a great game, and one that I replay regularly. The Genesis and Game Gear releases (which are distinct games themselves) are also decent arcade-type fighting games. Nothing special, but they're cool.

Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers for the NES is a classic that executed 2P Co-Op Platforming far earlier, and far better, than the NSMB games.

Tiny Toon Adventures for the NES is a decent SMB3 clone (in a lot of respects, but it does have its own gimmicks going for it) that is also really good.

These are all the ones I think are good, not just okay (except the Gen and GG Power Rangers).

And of course there's GoldenEye 64, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Marvel vs Capcom's entire franchise. Everyone likes the Arkham games, but I haven't tried them myself. I personally liked Watchmen: The End is Nigh, but I can understand why that wouldn't be for everybody.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
Spider-Man 2, Aladdin (Genesis), Transformers Devastation, Tiny Toons (SNES), Toy Story (SNES), Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, The Walking Dead... I mean there's actually a hell of a lot more. There's way too many to count for this because they weren't shovelware for a long time. There was just the PS2 era that really fucked it up.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Kriven
I think the ratio for Bad Media Games to Good Media Games is probably going to be the same ratio you'd fine for Bad Games to Good Games, honestly. The stigma really isn't well-deserved, and I'm finding myself playing catch-up after ignoring tie-in games for the past decade.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
(02-25-2016, 12:00 PM)Dazz Wrote: There was just the PS2 era that really fucked it up.

While I want to agree, there's no denying that the bad outweighed the good even in the past...Atari, Genesis, and especially on NES.  For the bad ones, if they weren't just average to mediocre at best, they were just borderline playable xD. However if they were really good, more people talked about them, like Duck Tales.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
The Naruto fighting games are actually decent. I spent many evenings at gaming meetups playing the Clash of Ninja/Gekitou Ninja Taisen! games :V

It's like Tekken for the Smash Bros crowd and was fun as hell
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Well, we went this long into this thread without someone mentioning Lego. That just isn't alright. Pretty much everything Lego is fantastic.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Goof Troop (SNES)
Aladdin (SNES)
Jurassic Park (Genesis)
Telltale's Sam & Max (PC)
Thanked by:
I loved the Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi games, because I loved unlocking all these characters. Not necissarily related to the games, I actually like Syn/Omega Shenron's stupid design.
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
My Game Maker games (Dropbox download links):

A few Nicktoons games are pretty okay - I can only remember the crossover kart racer and a Danny Phantom game on the GBA. Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle for the SNES is pretty fun too, as long as you change the controls so that up is jump and not one of the four buttons. I'd also recommend the Shounen Jump crossovers (Famicom Jump I and II, Jump Super Stars and Ultimate Stars, Battle Stadium D.O.N., and J-Stars Victory VS).
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:
Phantom 2040 on the ol' Super Nintendo was an excellent game that mixed together Super Metroid and Mega Man with a branching paths system that kept the game fresh. It's one of my favourite Super Nintendo games in general.
[Image: StickerStageItems.png]
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by:
DBZ Supersonic Warriors 1 and 2 were both great. I also played one of the Budokai Tenkaichi games (idr which one) which was fun. Telltale's Back To The Future is also really good.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure is by far the best game I've played on the GBA. It blows Sonic Battle and any other beatemup/fighter for the handheld outta the water. It makes me wish Atari could take back their license to create more Dragon Ball games.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Wow totally forgot to mention Advanced Adventure. I agree, and it's probably even one of the more superior GBA games in general (that I've played at least).
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford