Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Demakes (What game would you wanna send back in time?)
Because Gors is a very talented individual and you should check out his stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/NewAgeRetroGamer
And Gors, if your reading, keep up the great work! Big Grin

After listening to his Super Mario Sunshine tracks, I thought that since I never really played the actual game, I would totally play it if it were redone in a classic Mario NES style. I think if any modern 3D game were remade for the NES, even AAA titles that I'm not a fan of, I would probably play them anyway since I'm grew up with NES games.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by: Gors
I'd prefer the GBC or Game Gear for 8-bit demakes, since those systems were the most powerful 8-bit systems, and could handle some fairly long games, that weren't just lengthy because of early design tropes (like super long grind sessions, or fake difficulty bullshit).

The unlicensed Chinese side of things have already tried and did some shitty demakes of later gen games on NES, like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 7. However, given the right hands, like Vast Fame or BBD, some quality titles could be made on GBC. See Xin Feng Shen Bang, Shui Hu Shen Shou or Shi Kong Xing Shou for Vast Fame, and Final Fantasy X - Fantasy War for BBD.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: miyabi95_
I really loved the GBC LoZ games, so I'd love to see demakes of some of the more recent ones on that system.

There's a whole blog that does mockups for theoretical Game Boy demakes. One of my favourites was the first, Hearthstone, and even though that's pretty much impossible it's really cool to think about and imagine. The only inaccuracy with the blog is that he uses 4 colours + alpha, instead of 3 + alpha. Even so, it's great stuff.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
The GBC could probably handle a Sunshine demake well - but NES has the advantage of having bigger res (which is perfect for Mario's athletic skills).

Though I wonder how the fludd would be implemented with just two face buttons in a seamless manner
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(02-18-2016, 06:08 PM)JazzGW Wrote: Because Gors is a very talented individual and you should check out his stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/NewAgeRetroGamer
And Gors, if your reading, keep up the great work! Big Grin

After listening to his Super Mario Sunshine tracks, I thought that since I never really played the actual game, I would totally play it if it were redone in a classic Mario NES style. I think if any modern 3D game were remade for the NES, even AAA titles that I'm not a fan of, I would probably play them anyway since I'm grew up with NES games.

Gors' tracks are pretty good. Actually, since you mentioned NES demakes, have you checked out Eric Ruth's Pixel Force series? Last I checked, he remade Halo and Left 4 Dead in NES style, and they're really good.

(02-18-2016, 06:56 PM)puggsoy Wrote: I really loved the GBC LoZ games, so I'd love to see demakes of some of the more recent ones on that system.

Agreed, I really liked the top-down Zelda games, especially the GBC titles and Minish Cap. Personally, I'd love too see Genesis remakes of the modern Sonic titles, as I've seen some brilliant hacks implementing modern mechanics, graphics and music. An example would be Sonic Classic Heroes, which adds the 3-character teams from Sonic Heroes into Sonic 1 & 2. That, or I'd like to see Splatoon as a GBA or Genesis title. In fact, Jass Fusion made some cool Splatoon Genesis covers here, along with some other nice work: https://soundcloud.com/jassbec/sets/splatoon-genesis-fm.
Thanked by: puggsoy, miyabi95_
(02-18-2016, 07:00 PM)Gors Wrote: The GBC could probably handle a Sunshine demake well - but NES has the advantage of having bigger res (which is perfect for Mario's athletic skills).

Though I wonder how the fludd would be implemented with just two face buttons in a seamless manner

True, the NES and SNEs were both 256x224, but I don't think the GBC 160x144 res is all that bad if everything is scaled to accommodate.  It's really only a problem when you have huge ass sprites, that take up like 1/3 of the screensize where it becomes an issue.

If we take a look at say... Donkey Kong '94 on GB, where we have acrobatic Mario, I think a title using that engine would work well.  Sunshine demake probably being a branch off of it.
(02-18-2016, 07:34 PM)Koh Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 07:00 PM)Gors Wrote: The GBC could probably handle a Sunshine demake well - but NES has the advantage of having bigger res (which is perfect for Mario's athletic skills).

True, the NES and SNEs were both 256x224, but I don't think the GBC 160x144 res is all that bad if everything is scaled to accommodate.  It's really only a problem when you have huge ass sprites, that take up like 1/3 of the screensize where it becomes an issue.
Whereas it was an issue in games like Super Mario Land 2 and SMB Deluxe, because unlike games such as Donkey Kong 94 or SML1, they didn't have graphics made with the GB/C's resolution. (I still love SML2 and SMBDX, but the problem can be made obvious fairly often, moreso in SMBDX).

I'd really love to see one of the Metroidvania Castlevanias remade in an NES or GBC (preferably the former) style. In a way, the color limits and likely dark palette choices could make the game feel more atmospheric.
Offending people is a necessary and healthy act... Every time you say something that's offensive to another person, you just caused a discussion. You just forced them to have to think. - Louis C.K.
While not really a demake, there was a decent unlicensed metroidvania Castlevania on GBC, called Castlevania DX. I ran through it a year or so ago here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9oUrGRF...tBrEa-uY75

If it had more polish, I'd say it could easily work out well in that regard.
Thanked by:
(02-18-2016, 07:00 PM)Gors Wrote: Though I wonder how the fludd would be implemented with just two face buttons in a seamless manner

Use B for fludd and A for jump and that's it
and you can press select maybe to switch nozzles

hold B and you can aim fludd with the d-pad

I'm more wondering what would be the most viable way to handle the liquid "physics" on the NES.
Thanked by: Kriven, miyabi95_
(02-18-2016, 09:39 PM)Kitsu Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 07:00 PM)Gors Wrote: Though I wonder how the fludd would be implemented with just two face buttons in a seamless manner

Use B for fludd and A for jump and that's it
and you can press select maybe to switch nozzles

hold B and you can aim fludd with the d-pad

I'm more wondering what would be the most viable way to handle the liquid "physics" on the NES.

B can only be the run button. Even doki doki panic, which wasn't a Mario game at first, had B dash especially implemented for smb2.
Thanked by:
I think it would be okay for B to have two functions, as it does in the four classic games (In SMB2, B also serves to pick up and throw items). In Sunshine's case, tapping B would shoot water and holding B would make Mario run. I can imagine using FLUDD to hover by holding B in the air...Or hold the A button a la Peach in SMB2, since it's an almost identical mechanic.

Then that leaves holding/throwing/kicking items...
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:
Context sensitive button pressing. Or maybe, make use of the select button. Select changes the "mode" of the B button from Mario's abilities to Fludd's abilities. Think Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, but instead of L and R, it's mapped to Select. The GBC could handle it pretty easily under these conditions; plenty of memory to have the proper water graphics and decent animations. This would be one of the games that benefits from the use of a 4MB GBC cartridge, like the Harry Potter RPGs.
Thanked by:
Hover nozzle: A in midair
Rocket nozzle: hold down + A
Run: hold B + left/right
Spray water: double tap B, hold in the second tap. Press up/down to change angle and left/right to walk while spraying
grab item: run towards item
Thanked by:
That's pretty complicated... as somebody playing, I think I would prefer the "Use Select to rotate nozzles, then press B to use your ability" method.

I think the only franchise I really ever think about demaking is Mario Kart... There was something unique about SMK, and I always wonder what things would look like in that style.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
oh right, of course

thanks for the compliment Heart i do my best Pretty Content (✿◡‿‿◡)
Thanked by: