Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Smash Stages 2D
Hey, folks. Some of you may have noticed that I did a Mushroom Kingdom 2 stage in the newest update. It's not a big deal, and something anyone could have done, really, but it was fun and I think some people may find it useful. I'd like to do more recreations of Smash stages with 2D assets and need some help finding tiles and objects I could use. More than one pair of eyes/one brain for remembering tiles will be useful, so I figured I'd ask around.

The first stage I'd want to do is Green Greens from Melee.

[Image: greengreens.jpg]
I think the tiles that resemble this the most closely are Kirby Superstar or Nightmare in Dreamland. I'm leaning more toward KSS. The biggest things right now are the ground tiles,as I can't find anything very close in the game. Green Greens, ironically, is close, but doesn't have the stars. Float Islands has stars, but not the grid. Anyone have any better ideas? The blue floating platforms are a bit iffy as well.

After that, I'd like to try Congo Jungle.

[Image: SSBWU_Kongo_Jungle_64.jpg]

Obviously, this'll be DKC. It might even be easier to do, since I know that game better. Any suggestions would be fun to entertain, and if anyone wants to tackle a stage of their own, go for it. I'm not calling dibs on any.

Thanks for any help!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Those images aren't working for me.
Thanked by:
Well, damn. Lemme figure something out, here.
Thanked by:
Check it out now. Also, here is Green Greens so far. Like I said, I'm trying to do it with minimal sprite editing, using only the unaltered tiles in the game.

But it looks like I'll need a tile rip of Dyna Blade stage 1 to finish up.

[Image: greengreens.PNG]
Ok, I think that's that. There's no rainbow or striped pole-y things because I can't find equal assets in KSS (and that's the whole point of this). I may have overlooked them, so feel free to yell at me if that's the case.

Now I guess I'll start looking through DKC tiles, but I'm not sure how lucky I'll get since there are no buildings with scaffolding in the original game.
Thanked by: daemoth
Not sure I'm ready to tackle this one yet.

[Image: japes.PNG]
Thanked by: daemoth
[Image: japes2.PNG]
Jungle Japes is happening.
Thanked by: ~Axis~, daemoth
Veeery cool. Having not played the later DKC games, I'm interested in seeing what graphics you'll find to fill out that stage. What you've got so far looks pretty good!
Thanked by:
It's tricky! DKC is way harder to edit than Kirby. We'll see what we get. Plus, the one of the site is just out of date and not even the whole stage.
Thanked by:
No idea what to do about the outhouse door. Ideas are very welcome. Also, the house wall looks a bit flat. Hmm.[Image: japes2.PNG]
Thanked by:
The flatness of the house is because you are repeating tiles and mirroring them, when Rare wouldn't. The official barrel boss up there, despite looking symmetrical, is not - there is only one side being shaded - but by flipping pixels around, you break the shading seam, resulting in "pillowshaded" assets (shading either coming from both or no sides)

it doesn't help that the vertical logs of the house has that faint blue shade for the cristalline river reflection pointing INSIDE rather than outside. Considering the SSB level, on top of mirroring its orientation, you should also change the color to a reddish or dark orange hue to match the sunset BG.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Ton
Yeah, there's a lot if recolor ing that has to be done for this one, specifically to the wall. For the Belcha-outhouse, I'm not sure there's really a way to get that highlighted shading in a place that never existed in the game.
Thanked by:
Ok, inching toward something better. I got rid of the thick flooring, opting for a single level of wood. Some of the colors have been corrected too (thanks, E-Man). 

[Image: japestoolbox.PNG]
Thanked by: E-Man
Ok, Next step: Getting some water graphics from DKC3 for the current and the sunset from Orang-utan Gang in DKC for the sunset gradient. If someone knows where I can get a savestate of the completed game, please PM me.
Thanked by:
My only point of feedback is that the middle house appears to have an entirely different perspective from the planks that it stands on. I know that the Donkey Kong Country games had kinda wack perspective in general but maybe you can match the house with other tiles so that it looks a bit more cohesive? It eyes kinda weird.
[Image: ybRTZvi.png][Image: uw21IJg.png][Image: isLKcbC.png]
Thanked by: Ton