Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Awkward Things People Say/Do
Also known as Venting The Thread:  The Sequel.

The last one did so well, so I figured why the hell not.

I'll kick it off with the notion of "sagging pants."  It's both an annoyance, and an awkward thing.  Annoying, because no one wants to see some random guy's asscrack, but also, awkward, because why would something like this become to trendy thing to do in the first place? How did everyone who does this suddenly go "You know, I like the idea of showing my underwear to the world! Let's do it!"
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
When people tell me to do a certain thing/tell me to do something AS I AM DOING IT. CAN YOU NOT SEE ME DOING IT ALREADY?? It frustrates me to no end, it just... just... ughhh.

Also when someone is uber sensitive about controvercial stuff like race, ethnicity or whatever that clearly has no intention for offense and is aimed at someone else who thinks its halarious or has absolutely no problem with it. If the guy wanted a lawyer he would have made his feelings clear. Seriously, I witnessed this situation play out more times than I'd like and usually ends with the person told to shut up and stop being so sensitive. It just sucks man.
[Image: tumblr_mzx6bm02eC1s38z45o1_500.gif]
Anonymous Wrote:...the world is so much simpler if you just dont give a FUCK...
Thanked by: psychospacecow
(01-29-2016, 03:37 PM)Koh Wrote: ... no one wants to see some random guy's asscrack

well...
pkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
You know how in TV shows when someone's saying mean things about a person and then they stop and say, "they're right behind me, aren't they?" and they are?! They were listening the whole time! Yeah that's pretty awkward. Mostly because they didn't mean for the person to hear it, AND because the person DID hear it. I'm nervous sweating just thinking about the situation.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

I've actually had that one happen to me. It basically just becomes a moment of "Well, I was gonna tell it to your face anyway, so..now you know." If you're furious enough xD.
Thanked by: ~Axis~
Isn't this like the same exact thing as the other topic? Way to capitalize on another thread's successes Wink

If there's one thing I can't stand (kidding - there's a ton!) it's the phrase "Oh, hello! I didn't see you there." used in a breadth of media. Are you fucking kidding me. You heard me walk in and we're like the only two people in the room. My presence here is obviously known don't play an idiot OK.

- Terrible written grammar and sentence structure. Some of the users on here in the past have these absolutely unreadable posts.
- When people talk like video game localization. "Quite" doesn't fit into our modern langauge. We don't use it anymore as a word of emphasis and it comes off as a lack of confidence in one's words. Stop using quite. Quite's never gonna happen. Also phrases like "That's the ticket!" that like literally do not come up in our modern vernacular. Like...where was the last time you saw that phrase? Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon?
- "xD" <-- this thing (sorry Koh) It represents a time of my life I'd love to forget and always regret )':
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Koh, ~Axis~
Ah man, that exact sneak up thing happened to me on the first day of my music class. People were asking why others decided on this basic low level music class. I only signed up because it was the only class still open that had the credit I was looking for because the one I originally signed up for didn't have enough people in it and I was only informed of the day before.
Then the person unlocked the door to the classroom.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
"Why are you listening to that? It's old!"
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by: ~Axis~, psychospacecow
"I said to stop it" "When?" "Now"
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: ~Axis~, Kriven
I thought awkward was just someone who has unintentionally poor social skills. I sympathize with those who have trouble in social situations because I have been there.

Of course nowadays they call that "creepy" and dehumanize them.

Thanked by: Kriven
(01-31-2016, 03:18 PM)Kosheh Wrote: - When people talk like video game localization. "Quite" doesn't fit into our modern langauge. We don't use it anymore as a word of emphasis and it comes off as a lack of confidence in one's words. Stop using quite. Quite's never gonna happen. Also phrases like "That's the ticket!" that like literally do not come up in our modern vernacular. Like...where was the last time you saw that phrase? Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon?

I'm sorry, but I don't really agree with this... My dad says "That's the ticket", and I often respond to certain things with "quite"...  For example, if somebody says "It's rather hot today", I might respond with "Quite". I think you're just working this around things that you yourself might not say, or perhaps it's even a local thing for you. But I know in the UK at least, many people will use the word quite.

My pet peeve is "At the end of the day". Fucking, just say what it is you want to say, putting "at the end of the day" doesn't actually change anything else within that sentence. And if it does, that means that you've not really worked out what it is you want to say and you're just trying to start a sentence before what it is you want to say has reached your brain.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Kriven, ~Axis~, puggsoy
(02-01-2016, 05:17 AM)Dazz Wrote:
(01-31-2016, 03:18 PM)Kosheh Wrote: - When people talk like video game localization. "Quite" doesn't fit into our modern langauge. We don't use it anymore as a word of emphasis and it comes off as a lack of confidence in one's words. Stop using quite. Quite's never gonna happen. Also phrases like "That's the ticket!" that like literally do not come up in our modern vernacular. Like...where was the last time you saw that phrase? Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon?

I'm sorry, but I don't really agree with this... My dad says "That's the ticket", and I often respond to certain things with "quite"...  For example, if somebody says "It's rather hot today", I might respond with "Quite". I think you're just working this around things that you yourself might not say, or perhaps it's even a local thing for you. But I know in the UK at least, many people will use the word quite.

...oh
Yeah, pretty much. In the States, the only place where "That's the ticket!" is fitting is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Though, this is kinda making me wonder if video games are all localized in the UK now. A few developers here tend seem to do that lately, actually given our release of Ace Attorney vs. Professor Layton referred to flashlights as "torches" (with no explanation as to why it's called that. In the States 9 out of 10 people wouldn't know about 'torches' used in that way) and many of the words used contained the English usage of them: "neighbour", "colour", etc. :V

There's also a few teenagers in the States who choose to use terms and spellings found in Queen's English because they think it sounds cooler? although they've never once been to the country. It's kind of an odd phenomenon and it's kinda disorienting in conversation lol.

(02-01-2016, 05:17 AM)Dazz Wrote: My pet peeve is "At the end of the day"

YES
Thanked by:
I don't know but I use "quite" quite a lot

as in that case

But this is because I learned English from many places so I might mix stuff up

For example I'll always favor not using u for "-our" endings (favor itself, color, etc), but glamour must have it imo. And "-ize" is preferred, though sometimes, very rarely I'll use "-ise".

I will also use "thrice" unironically because it's such an useful word
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: Koh, Kriven
Here's one for the gaming community: Swinging your body around with the controller while gaming.

I honestly don't get it. I've been fully engrossed in games before, and have been seen energetically button mashing (not hard, just fast and all over the place), but I've never started swinging the controller and my body around and such. How can you play in that state without messing yourself up? Also, it's impossible to do in PC gaming anyway, heh.
Thanked by:
(02-01-2016, 11:22 AM)Gors Wrote: I don't know but I use "quite" quite a lot

as in that case

But this is because I learned English from many places so I might mix stuff up

For example I'll always favor not using u for "-our" endings (favor itself, color, etc), but glamour must have it imo. And "-ize" is preferred, though sometimes, very rarely I'll use "-ise".

I will also use "thrice" unironically because it's such an useful word

I feel like I've gotta dig myself out of a hole here.  But like, I know people (and I think some of you know people) who use "quite" as a synonym of emphasis, where you'd typically use "really", "pretty" or "very". Like I'm OK with it if used in moderation, i.e. "Looks like he made quite a mess", but like "I thought the dinosaur exhibit was quite cool" or "Wow! You're quite the singer" is kind of a silly use of the word. I think it's a regional thing - the usage of "quite" here comes off quite forced

(02-01-2016, 02:27 PM)Koh Wrote: Here's one for the gaming community:  Swinging your body around with the controller while gaming.

I honestly don't get it.  I've been fully engrossed in games before, and have been seen energetically button mashing (not hard, just fast and all over the place), but I've never started swinging the controller and my body around and such.  How can you play in that state without messing yourself up?  Also, it's impossible to do in PC gaming anyway, heh.

I tend to do that when playing Mario Kart 8 for some reason. I'm trying to get my motorcycle to turn sharper when I lean in to the turn outside the TV. Totally works. Every time.

There's a guy I knew from college who would attend Smash tournaments and pretty much his thing was that he could never stay in his seat. He'd stand up and dance around like an 8 year old when he was really engrossed in a videogame, which is...kinda the polar opposite of what I'd do in the same situation; I'd rather shift my weight around until I'm the most comfortable I can possibly be in the chair.
Thanked by: