Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Character designs: THE SUBJECTIVITY THREAD :'D
Please note that I have noticed that there is a thread discussing favorite game graphics here: http://www.vg-resource.com/thread-28560.html. But I'm trying to make this thread more centric around how characters look and how they effect the game overall.

No, this is not a thread purely for posting "I LIKE LINK. CUZ HE HAVE SWROD." This is more about the visual presentation of characters and how they impact playing the game for you personally. However, you can talk about the sprites/models of that character if you like, instead of the general design.

Allow me to start. You probably already know that I love girly cuties, so how about I break the boundaries a bit:

[Image: sonic-rush-42.png][Image: rush-adventure-4.jpg][Image: sonic-rush-ds-9.jpg][Image: 46248-Sonic_Rush_(U)(Legacy)-1.png][Image: Sonic_Colors_(DS)_-_Image_-_(1).png][Image: s451412335a80d9ceb6cfa389379b14d9.jpg]

For me, Sonic has looked his best in the DS trilogy (Rush, Rush Adventure, and Colors). There's something about the bright DS screen that just fits like a puzzle with the colorful cel-shaded polygons of the blue blur. Also, the way that he animates is not very choppy at all like in the Adventure games and 06 and whatnot. When I first got Sonic Rush back in like 2006-ish (woah, that's ten years ago from now...), I would always set my DS backlite to the highest brightness. My eyes would start hurting from playing too long, but that was mostly because after getting the game for Christmas, I was completely hooked to it and played it for like weeks afterwards. Eventually I'd start playing in smaller bursts, lol.

So yeah, Sonic's vibrant and colorful model made nearly every aspect of the DS games so much fun to play for me. There were a few downsides to them, of course (Rush having excessive death pits, Rush Adventure having ridiculous special stages, Colors being too short, etc.), but Sonic Team aced the graphics with flying colors, and I'd probably say those games are up there with CD, my other all-time favorite Sonic game.

So what are some character designs/sprites/models that you think improve gameplay/gamefeel/whatever you wanna call it? You can also feel free to bring up designs that don't really have any great impact or are poorly-designed.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:
You seem to be talking about Aesthetics and cohesiveness rather than actual designs of characters in your OP.
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
(01-18-2016, 08:18 PM)Omega Wrote: You seem to be talking about Aesthetics and cohesiveness rather than actual designs of characters in your OP.

I know Defeated. After writing it I noticed that it wasn't going in the direction I was hoping it would. I would delete this thread, but I don't think I'm allowed to.
Thanked by:
but hey it is never too late to fix it

aesthetic wise, I love Yoshi's Island and Kirby 3. I've always been a sucker for hand-drawn media and they really look like it
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Something that looks like it could be straight out of a TV show, like DuckTales Remastered.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71...L1280_.jpg

That is awesome.

This is the kind of style that would seem like Mario could do pretty nicely, but I doubt they'll ever try it.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Aw, thanks for the encouragement guys, lol Cute.

Weird thing about me, the aesthetic used in the SNES Donkey Kong Country series never caught on to me (maybe because I'm not a fan of an ape-like aesthetic, I dunno. Nothing against apes though - they can be really adorable)...But there are a few games I like that use the 3D rendered sprites.

Deathsmiles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathsmiles) and Chaos Breaker (http://www.fightersgeneration.com/games/...eaker.html) to be specific. I think 3D rendering sprites goes pretty well with the more anime-inspired aesthetic.
Thanked by:
Donkey Kong Country characters were all about their lovable quirky animations.

[Image: latest?cb=20140214013326][Image: latest?cb=20110604235449]

Regarding 2D aesthetics, Ghost Trick stands out for me. It has really smooth animations and there is something about the sprites that is simple yet works better than other games with similar attempts.

[Image: tumblr_inline_nmkj2nNqW91sr6hti_500.gif]

Although while looking through games that I enjoy the art style of, I've noticed that bright colors and thin sprite outlines tend to sit better with me (The Legendary Starfy, Monster Tale, Yes! Pretty Cure 5).

As for 3D games, Wind Waker and A Hat in Time both have similar styles that I absolutely love.
[Image: WwmoM3d.png]
Currently working on: working and wedding planning
The problem I see with that and what you linked to is the blending in with the background thing, lol. Every single outlineless style will have that problem, but at least the animations are nice and smooth.
Thanked by:
I absolutely love Skullgirls character animation and designs. They're all classic animation which is quite the task for a fighting game character.

Just look at that. I think in particular, my favorite is Big Band. He's a Dick Tracy style detective combined with an entire brass band.
[Image: tumblr_n4lh19bzxl1rc44ufo1_500.gif]
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Looks like it could be a tv show, lol. And with animation and style like that, it'd blow all the samey looking toons on TV now out of the water, heh.
Here are a few NES/Famicom games with rather...Unsettling designs and aesthetics:

Thanked by: psychospacecow
The style in DigDug Arrangement on PSP is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX8TOd8pMMA

Animations are smooth, and while the entity graphics lack outlines, the colors of the background never come close to their own, so their details aren't lost.
Thanked by:
The one series I absolutely can't STAND in terms of character design is Melty Blood. I really wish I could find a better image, but like - all of the character designs are just so disgustingly BASIC.
[Image: 4a8f4895df.png]
And the style of the ingame sprites aren't doing it any favors.
[Image: 8e79e7741e.png]

I mean, to be fair the series is a dojin spinoff of an eroge and literally paved the way for derivative-work dojin fighters. But like...character designs didn't get any better until Actress Again when they introduced the character with the blade cello, and even THAT was medicore.

And a lot of people feel the same way about Fate/Stay Night. I really can't understand it. I mean, the gameplay is decent in both series but the character designs have just been so horrendously basic.
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: miyabi95_
I dunno...I guess it depends on who you ask. I'm perfectly fine with simple designs as long as the character's personality and such are fleshed out. I personally dislike overdesigned characters, to the point they just look absolutely ridiculous. Examples being...

[Image: Lulu.png] [Image: latest?cb=20120424132934]

There's so much going on with these designs here, that it looks incredibly busy. Most of these details aren't even shown on their sprites, which makes them pointless. The art style is fine, but the amount of random things to add to the design is over the top.