Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Movie Thread
Video 
My brother and I have been watching the old Planet of the Apes. Its really fun watching them and appreciating them for what they are while also looking at their effects and what doesn't hold up.

The first film had one hell of a cliffhanger, like it was meant for as an introduction than a film itself.
The second film came off as strange and occult, which I believe was largely the intention. It had a very good, if not unsatisfying ending.
The third one almost came off like a comedy until the pregnant woman got drunk. It was funny how they had to call it grape juice + since it was g rated.

We have game threads and music threads ,so in this thread we talk about movies.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: Arcrom
One movie my dad rented way back in 1995 was some horror movie set in the jungle with soldiers and a big green creature. Similar to Predator.
Been trying to track down its name for ages. All I remember is how one dude gets killed by it: His chest is ripped open, exposing his rib cage.
That and the monster was killed with traps, one being a log tied to vines swinging into its face. Even Google can't seem to find it.

Also got a chance to see Troll Hunter at my brother's place. He has Netflix and allowed me to rent one movie. Nothing else looked interesting.
Gotta say, this is one of the better found footage movies I've seen in a while. And one of the best looking troll designs on film.
Probably helps that it was made in Norway, where the troll legends originated. Too bad there's going to be an american remake.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: psychospacecow
I kinda like the syfy original movies when I get a chance to watch them.
But, a lot of others hate them, so..whatever

Besides that, despite what direction the main series goes, the Pokemon movies seem to remain alright.

My mom and I recently bought some old-ish movies at a discount store or whatever it's called...
I plan to watch those sometime soon. (hopefully)

I also watched on Toonami, last year, Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos.
More recently, watched Maya the Bee on Sprout, since...nieces... (I didn't say anything, but it was 1000 times nicer than the lose-all-faith-in-humanity news everyone else wanted to watch...) I liked both of those.

There also are ofc, plenty of movies I WANT to watch, but... whatever
Just watched some Pixar's materpiece Wall-E and Up.
Very interesting how both movies can mix a good sense of humor, drama, value of love and friendship and specially moments to reflect about our way of life.
(10-09-2015, 08:46 PM)Arcrom Wrote: Just watched some Pixar's materpiece Wall-E and Up.
Very interesting how both movies can mix a good sense of humor, drama, value of love and friendship and specially moments to reflect about our way of life.

Ah...

I have family members who don't appreciate both of those for political or depression reasons...
Although, the message Wall-E sends , be it intentional or not, about maintaining our earth is an important one...

Up, on the other hand...
An EXTREMELY depressing movie... seriously, that man's life was practically destroyed... How it got approved at Disney is beyond me, honestly... Disney doesn't have a reputation for making movies that torture their characters ti THAT extent... Should've called the movie "Old guy's shitty life, that in the end turns out alright but it doesn't matter now because he's only got a few years left to live, give or take, besides is a cripple, thus physically incapable of doing really exciting stuff, oh and some random boy scout kid torments him to no end, as well"
I probably would be alright never watching it again...

Both movies are amazing, yes, but Up was just... a little TOO emotionally draining
Thanked by:
Last week we watched Back to the Future, and today we watched Part 2. Really funny watching it this year Tongue We plan to get round to watching the third before October 21st Wink
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
(10-10-2015, 05:10 AM)puggsoy Wrote: Last week we watched Back to the Future, and today we watched Part 2. Really funny watching it this year Tongue We plan to get round to watching the third before October 21st Wink

Cool!

One of my friends has the entire collection
Recently ended up getting Akira, Mad Max, and Easy Rider.

Most of the movies I own are animated, but I'm probably gonna get more live action movies or some old classics for the sake of inspiration. One movie I always end up watching over and over again though is probably It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (probably because I think it's a pretty damn good comedy)
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
(10-10-2015, 01:23 AM)DarkGrievous7145 Wrote: Ah...

I have family members who don't appreciate both of those for political or depression reasons...
Although, the message Wall-E sends , be it intentional or not, about maintaining our earth is an important one...

Up, on the other hand...
An EXTREMELY depressing movie... seriously, that man's life was practically destroyed... How it got approved at Disney is beyond me, honestly... Disney doesn't have a reputation for making movies that torture their characters ti THAT extent... Should've called the movie "Old guy's shitty life, that in the end turns out alright but it doesn't matter now because he's only got a few years left to live, give or take, besides is a cripple, thus physically incapable of doing really exciting stuff, oh and some random boy scout kid torments him to no end, as well"
I probably would be alright never watching it again...

Both movies are amazing, yes, but Up was just... a little TOO emotionally draining

This is one of the reasons I like these movies, they create a great amount of different points of view for each person.

Honestly I view Up different from yours. The message that I see is that you can still follow your dream no matter your age or obstacles. But it’s also pointed that following blindly your objectives can also turn a person very selfish and hurt those around you.

I do admit that some parts are really sad.

Back on topic. I’m currently  watching some old school 007 (Sean Connery and Roger Moore)
(10-12-2015, 01:59 PM)Arcrom Wrote: This is one of the reasons I like these movies, they create a great amount of different points of view for each person.

Honestly I view Up different from yours. The message that I see is that you can still follow your dream no matter your age or obstacles. But it’s also pointed that following blindly your objectives can also turn a person very selfish and hurt those around you.

I do admit that some parts are really sad.

Back on topic. I’m currently  watching some old school 007 (Sean Connery and Roger Moore)

True it would have a lesson to be learned, Disney movies usually do (hell, ANY movie for that matter...usually...)

What you have said makes sense, but I'm not sure a lot of people were able to pick that up with the beyond saddening mood that nearly the entire movie had managed to set.
Thanked by:
Well, my favorite films are many and varied:

Here is a list of what I can think up off the top of my head:

Star Wars (Episodes I-VI) (Expanded Universe pre-2014 too)
The Lord of the Rings
Jurassic Park (the original)
Ice Age (the original, again)
The Secret of NIMH
The Terminator+Terminator 2: Judgment Day
The Hunt for Red October
Midnight Run
Jaws
Alien+Aliens
The Fox and the Hound (one of the earliest films I can remember)
I recently watched Ravenous.
The trailer is horrible, the movie itself is fantastic and not at all what I was expecting. It's about Wendigos. Go watch it.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
I just watched Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

I had my concerns how it would turnout, but it seems pretty awesome, actually.

I recommend watching it if you're interested, or are a Star Wars fan. (especially the latter)

I definitely can't wait to see what the next movie brings, but I just hope the new films don't start to take a nose-dive from there.
Thanked by:
Going to see it on Wednesday with my older brothers. Doing my best to avoid spoilers so nothing like this happens:

Kinda funny how relevant that joke is right now.

Then the last movie to see this year will be the Charlie Brown & Snoopy movie. Yeah, I hate the title "Peanuts" just as much as Schulz did.
It doesn't make sense unless you grew up in the late 40s when Howdy Doody was a thing.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: DarkGrievous7145
(12-19-2015, 09:30 PM)Dolphman Wrote: Going to see it on Wednesday with my older brothers. Doing my best to avoid spoilers so nothing like this happens:

Kinda funny how relevant that joke is right now.

Then the last movie to see this year will be the Charlie Brown & Snoopy movie. Yeah, I hate the title "Peanuts" just as much as Schulz did.
It doesn't make sense unless you grew up in the late 40s when Howdy Doody was a thing.

yep
and spoilers really are hard to avoid at times.

my mom wants to go see that.
Hmm, yeah, I never got it.
Interesting...
Especially when all the classic movies are named like this
"<something> Charlie Brown"
or "Charlie Brown <something>"

Ironically, I have a VHS with a Howdy Doody on it.
Somewhere in my disaster zone that is my bedroom.
I can't remember what else is on the tape, though. It is specifically a Christmas Special kinda deal, so a whole bunch of little short movies/tv episodes and/or sing-alongs got crammed together.
Thanked by: