Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Games?
I just want to talk about good games. I being vague in hopes that I'll get some good game suggestions for games I haven't played yet.
You'd think they'd call bootleg movies peg leg because they're pirated.

[img]http://s628.photobucket.com/user/Laviath...sort=3&o=0[/img]
Thanked by:
Good games? Do you mean games that are Must Plays? I can definitely tell you that, most of the time, it's not any of the games people are overhyping, like Five Night's At Freddy's or Undertale. The former is so-so, and the latter is decent, but neither are must plays.

These games are must plays: Lufia 2 (SNES), Terranigma (SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES, DS), Final Fantasy 5 and 6 (SNES, GBA, Smartphones), Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP, Smartphones), Vagrant Story (PS1), Seiken Densetsu 3 (SFC), Dragon Quest 5 (SNES, DS, PS2...)

All of them will provide you a layered and deep gameplay experience, where all the game mechanics are fully fleshed out, as well as immerse you into the unfolding events with atmospheric OSTs. They also have intricate stories with characters you can totally empathize with.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by: Laviathan4041
So, since you're looking for suggestions, let me ask you one thing. What consoles do you have available to you, and if one of them be a PC, could you offer the specs?
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
I would like to add another question for you. What game genres do you like most? This will help in the feedback’s accuracy.

If this doesn’t matter, I will tell some of my favorites: Cities Skylines (PC), Terraria (PC), Civilization V (PC), Street of Rage series (Sega Genesis) and Goldeneye (N64).
(12-17-2015, 11:04 PM)Koh Wrote: Good games?  Do you mean games that are Must Plays?  I can definitely tell you that, most of the time, it's not any of the games people are overhyping, like Five Night's At Freddy's or Undertale.  The former is so-so, and the latter is decent, but neither are must plays.

These games are must plays:  Lufia 2 (SNES), Terranigma (SNES), Chrono Trigger (SNES, DS), Final Fantasy 5 and 6 (SNES, GBA, Smartphones), Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1, PSP, Smartphones), Vagrant Story (PS1), Seiken Densetsu 3 (SFC), Dragon Quest 5  (SNES, DS, PS2...)

All of them will provide you a layered and deep gameplay experience, where all the game mechanics are fully fleshed out, as well as immerse you into the unfolding events with atmospheric OSTs.  They also have intricate stories with characters you can totally empathize with.

I played five night's at freddy's, I beat undertale, I played Teranigma ( I like this game but can't beat bloody mary), I beat everything in the snes chrono trigger ( I heard the DS version add more sidequests. ARGHH! I am never going to be able to play the ds version....), I played FF 5 ( got to the middle of fire crystal segment.... It's been awhile...), I got to Kefka in the last dungeon but I can't beat him in FF6, I played Seiken Densetsu 3 but never really got into it. I also played Secret of mana but never finished it, In Dragon quest 5 I think I was trying to get a fire ring in a volcano or something. I'll check out FF Tactics  and Lufia 2.

(12-17-2015, 11:37 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: So, since you're looking for suggestions, let me ask you one thing. What consoles do you have available to you, and if one of them be a PC, could you offer the specs?

I have a laptop that sucks but runs average sometimes lags. I am not sure on the details. But games like Garry's mod or antichamber lag from a little to the whole time. Undertale works fine on it. Lots of RPG maker games work fine. Lisa kind of lags and has other issues with it at times but works fine mostly. Desolate hope works fine for me lags every now and then. The older touhou games kind of lag from time to time and get me killed. Hope that helps. Those were just some games I have played on it recently.

(12-17-2015, 11:37 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: So, since you're looking for suggestions, let me ask you one thing. What consoles do you have available to you, and if one of them be a PC, could you offer the specs?

I also have a 3ds, vita, psp, xbox 360, ps3, ps2,  wii, wii u, Gameoy advance, gamecube, and ds. Go ahead and suggest consoles games I don't have too because I may be able to find a way to get them.

(12-18-2015, 08:25 AM)Arcrom Wrote: I would like to add another question for you. What game genres do you like most? This will help in the feedback’s accuracy.

If this doesn’t matter, I will tell some of my favorites: Cities Skylines (PC), Terraria (PC), Civilization V (PC), Street of Rage series (Sega Genesis) and Goldeneye (N64).

I played Terraria, great game. I beat each streets of rage game but sadly on the 3rd one I didn't get the best ending.... I have played golden eye it wasn't my favorite but it was ok. I more into games like turn based RPG games like final fantasy or Earthbound but I like to think I am open to any type of game genre. I'll pretty much play anything ..... Except maybe dating simulator games...

Thanked by:
Alright.
RPGS : Dragon Quest games. They're slowly accumulating on DS and 3DS. They are all excellent.
Bravely Default, which took everything good about Dragon Quest 9's vocation system and cut everything that was bad.
Certain Kingdom Hearts games are good. There's always Pokemon. Atlas games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Quest Monsters.
Gonna need more info to go further.
Thanked by:
Star Ocean Second Story/Evolution (Ps1/Psp)
Final Fantasy Tactics ( Ps1/Psp)
Odin Sphere (Ps2)
Valkyrie Profile (Ps1/Psp)
Baldurs Gate or Neverwinter nights ( Pc )
Btw, you're really not missing a lot on the Ds version of Chrono trigger, its pretty disappointing. I suggest just watching the cutscene on youtube. Wink
[Image: w5xqva2wqod7ni6zg.jpg]
Gosh, none of you have recommended SMT/Persona?  For shame. Nerd

The Shin Megami Tensei series (with the exception of 4) and the first three Persona games are good, but hard. The first three Persona games in particular are a lot of grinding and demon negotiation with seemingly little reward, but the story at least makes up for it.  SMT3 Nocturne is a damn masterpiece and I can't recommend it enough.  Digital Devil Saga is also exceptional if you can find it, along with the Raidou Devil Summoner games.  The Devil Survivor games are... eeeehhh, they're okay.  I'm personally not a fan of that style of game play, so your mileage may vary.

Persona 3 and 4, and SMT4, are some of the easier entries in the series, and may be a good starting point if you haven't played them before (though I'm guessing you've at least played P4?).  The P3/4 games are also their own little series within a series, seeing as there's Persona Q, the two fighting games, Dancing All Night, and rumors that there will be a DAN with the P3 characters.  All of these games are split between the (3)DS, PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSV, so most of them are really easy to get a hold of.

Outside of SMT/Persona, I can also highly recommend the Koudelka/Shadow Hearts series, though Koudelka may be difficult to find outside of emulation now.  It has a similar feel to the SMT series as far as it being a more macabre "real world" RPG, taking place during historical events.  And I say "real world" because you can only suspend disbelief so far when giant pink cats and bodybuilder vampires are involved.  Koudelka is for PSX, while all three Shadow Hearts games are for PS2.

For something cute, I recommend Rhapsody for the PSX and DS.  It's a happy little RPG that's presented like a musical (complete with singing numbers) about a girl that can talk to puppets going to save her prince.  Although, if you prefer original spoken language over dubbing, I'd look for the PSX version, as the Japanese track was available on that one.  Sound quality is a little better too.

Grandia II is so stereotypical RPG it's actually fun.  It's available on PC now too, but judging from what you've said about Gary's Mod lagging on your comp, it might not work so well.  A lot of people rag on the PS2 version of the game being slow and clunky but... I actually like it and never noticed the slow down?  Though that may only be because that's how I played it first.  The first Grandia is also good, but I personally haven't played through it all the way.

I could go on forever about RPGs; they're my go-to genre of games.  BlankSweatdrop  If you want more recommendations, I can give you some more obscure games.
[Image: 76561198119420747.png]
ahh dude all these suggestions stink, it's weird jrpgs

oh wait, that's what people like us consider good games most of the time.

I usually suggest my friends visit http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com as this is usually a question people would ask on 4chan's /v/ board all the time. Instead of constantly posting images with covers of each game (they've got those) they actually list their recommended titles and WHY they'd recommend it.
It's full of suggestions for any game console you've got or claim to have...and it's actually what I've based my humongous PS2 and GBA collections on, lol
THERE'S EVEN A "SPECIAL INTEREST" LISTING in case you've got a Mickey Mouse or a visual novel kick!!!!

/thread

EDIT: Also I like how there's zero mention on Undertale anywhere on the wiki. lmao, not that I dislike Undertale or anything, but even I'm getting tired of my friends immediately suggesting Undertale to people as if it's the best thing since sliced bread (if it helps, I also roll my eyes every time someone immediately tells me to play OoT being that I'm, y'know, working on that right now)
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
I would have recommended SMT but my only experience with it has been Devil Survivor 1 and that's some special level of grindfest and feels.
(12-19-2015, 10:28 AM)Kosheh Wrote: ahh dude all these suggestions stink, it's weird jrpgs

It's usually because these games are the ones with the most character depth, story and lore, lol.  Not that Western games don't do it, especially if you look at something like Skyrim, but JRPGs have been doing it for the longest time, heheh.  What really gets me is when people dismiss them as anime, and don't try them because of that, rather than actually trying it before they pass judgement. Underneath the cute exteriors of these games likes deep gameplay experiences and layered stories~ Final Fantasy Tactics is almost a perfect foil because of that. Underneath the huggable looking sprites lies some serious shit going down, that mirrors some events that have happened and can happen in real life, in regards to social classes, government and religion.
(12-19-2015, 03:23 PM)Koh Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 10:28 AM)Kosheh Wrote: ahh dude all these suggestions stink, it's weird jrpgs

It's usually because these games are the ones with the most character depth, story and lore, lol.  Not that Western games don't do it, especially if you look at something like Skyrim, but JRPGs have been doing it for the longest time, heheh.  What really gets me is when people dismiss them as anime, and don't try them because of that, rather than actually trying it before they pass judgement. Underneath the cute exteriors of these games likes deep gameplay experiences and layered stories~ Final Fantasy Tactics is almost a perfect foil because of that. Underneath the huggable looking sprites lies some serious shit going down, that mirrors some events that have happened and can happen in real life, in regards to social classes, government and religion.

I highly disagree.

I mean, I've played music games that have such a massive collection of character development and storylines that it puts JRPGs to shame on how little there is in them, and yeah, I do mean little.

In the end it's more what you get out of a game that makes you enjoy it.

Some of my favorite games include:
PAYDAY 2
Dark Cloud 2
BeatmaniaIIDX
Pop'n Music
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
You Don't Know Jack
Cooking Mama

Anyway those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Only 1 of those is a JRPG, with the exception of Cooking Mama, literally all of these games have fantastic storylines, plots, Character Development, and lores of the series. Half of it if knowing where to look, as most of these series don't throw it in your face, in fact a couple of them you kinda have to dig really deep down to even see how the characters evolve, but it's worth it.

I also think my list is a healthy mix of game types, and it should allow the OP to see "Well I don't like this game type, but I do like these game types, let me try this out" and generally encompasses a little something for everyone.

Edit: My point being is this- You can play the music games without knowing the characters or the stories and still enjoy the game. If you look of these aspects, they are still there and still fantastic and worth looking at, but in the end you can still enjoy it in whatever way you want.
M A C H I N E G U N
         ⌒°。>◡<)⌒°
             /_▄︻し┻┳═一(いち)(いち)  ┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨┣¨
[Image: tumblr_mr2bjoHi1v1qh8espo1_400.gif][Image: NfIxSTK.gif]
Oh I wasn't meaning to imply other games DON'T have character development and such, but the RPG genre is what's known for giving each character screen time and meaning. Arcade style games like PacMan or something rarely do it.

It isn't a required thing, but it makes it easier to care about what's going on, when you can relate to who you're playing as and the other characters they interact with. Below that would be a quirky or humorous cast, like Puyo Puyo or something, where there's really not a whole lot of depth to the characters, but the silly antics in the stories get you curious on what happens next. Below that still would be games that barely go into the characters at all, and so interest entirely falls on how appealing the gameplay is.

If you're into a good, fun, and competitive puzzle game series, try all the Puyo Puyo games, lol. Tsu (2) is the standard, and Fever starts the Sega acquisition phase.
Thanked by:
(12-19-2015, 05:34 PM)MaxATK Wrote:
(12-19-2015, 03:23 PM)Koh Wrote:

It's usually because these games are the ones with the most character depth, story and lore, lol.  Not that Western games don't do it, especially if you look at something like Skyrim, but JRPGs have been doing it for the longest time, heheh.  What really gets me is when people dismiss them as anime, and don't try them because of that, rather than actually trying it before they pass judgement. Underneath the cute exteriors of these games likes deep gameplay experiences and layered stories~  Final Fantasy Tactics is almost a perfect foil because of that.  Underneath the huggable looking sprites lies some serious shit going down, that  mirrors some events that have happened and can happen in real life, in regards to social classes, government and religion.

I highly disagree.

I mean, I've played music games that have such a massive collection of character development and storylines that it puts JRPGs to shame on how little there is in them, and yeah, I do mean little.

In the end it's more what you get out of a game that makes you enjoy it.

Some of my favorite games include:
PAYDAY 2
Dark Cloud 2
BeatmaniaIIDX
Pop'n Music
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3
You Don't Know Jack
Cooking Mama

Anyway those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Only 1 of those is a JRPG, with the exception of Cooking Mama, literally all of these games have fantastic storylines, plots, Character Development, and lores of the series. Half of it if knowing where to look, as most of these series don't throw it in your face, in fact a couple of them you kinda have to dig really deep down to even see how the characters evolve, but it's worth it.

I also think my list is a healthy mix of game types, and it should allow the OP to see "Well I don't like this game type, but I do like these game types, let me try this out" and generally encompasses a little something for everyone.

Edit: My point being is this- You can play the music games without knowing the characters or the stories and still enjoy the game. If you look of these aspects, they are still there and still fantastic and worth looking at, but in the end you can still enjoy it in whatever way you want.

I played Dark Cloud 2 and got to the time traveling train part and the game was too scratched up to read at that point so I never beat it... I played cooking Mama and You don't know Jack.

(12-19-2015, 09:43 AM)Skyla Doragono Wrote: Gosh, none of you have recommended SMT/Persona?  For shame. Nerd

The Shin Megami Tensei series (with the exception of 4) and the first three Persona games are good, but hard. The first three Persona games in particular are a lot of grinding and demon negotiation with seemingly little reward, but the story at least makes up for it.  SMT3 Nocturne is a damn masterpiece and I can't recommend it enough.  Digital Devil Saga is also exceptional if you can find it, along with the Raidou Devil Summoner games.  The Devil Survivor games are... eeeehhh, they're okay.  I'm personally not a fan of that style of game play, so your mileage may vary.

Persona 3 and 4, and SMT4, are some of the easier entries in the series, and may be a good starting point if you haven't played them before (though I'm guessing you've at least played P4?).  The P3/4 games are also their own little series within a series, seeing as there's Persona Q, the two fighting games, Dancing All Night, and rumors that there will be a DAN with the P3 characters.  All of these games are split between the (3)DS, PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP, and PSV, so most of them are really easy to get a hold of.

Outside of SMT/Persona, I can also highly recommend the Koudelka/Shadow Hearts series, though Koudelka may be difficult to find outside of emulation now.  It has a similar feel to the SMT series as far as it being a more macabre "real world" RPG, taking place during historical events.  And I say "real world" because you can only suspend disbelief so far when giant pink cats and bodybuilder vampires are involved.  Koudelka is for PSX, while all three Shadow Hearts games are for PS2.

For something cute, I recommend Rhapsody for the PSX and DS.  It's a happy little RPG that's presented like a musical (complete with singing numbers) about a girl that can talk to puppets going to save her prince.  Although, if you prefer original spoken language over dubbing, I'd look for the PSX version, as the Japanese track was available on that one.  Sound quality is a little better too.

Grandia II is so stereotypical RPG it's actually fun.  It's available on PC now too, but judging from what you've said about Gary's Mod lagging on your comp, it might not work so well.  A lot of people rag on the PS2 version of the game being slow and clunky but... I actually like it and never noticed the slow down?  Though that may only be because that's how I played it first.  The first Grandia is also good, but I personally haven't played through it all the way.

I could go on forever about RPGs; they're my go-to genre of games.  BlankSweatdrop  If you want more recommendations, I can give you some more obscure games.

I played persona 4 golden, SMT 1 (got only so far in this one then quit), SMT 2 (this one was more of just starting up the game for 3 minutes before I quit) , SMT 4, persona 1 (couldn't really get into it.), persona 2 (this one was more of just starting up the game for 3 minutes before I quit too.), and both persona fighting spin offs.

I usually suggest my friends visit vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com as this is usually a question people would ask on 4chan's /v/ board all the time. Instead of constantly posting images with covers of each game (they've got those) they actually list their recommended titles and WHY they'd recommend it.
It's full of suggestions for any game console you've got or claim to have...and it's actually what I've based my humongous PS2 and GBA collections on, lol
THERE'S EVEN A "SPECIAL INTEREST" LISTING in case you've got a Mickey Mouse or a visual novel kick!!!!

/thread

EDIT: Also I like how there's zero mention on Undertale anywhere on the wiki. lmao, not that I dislike Undertale or anything, but even I'm getting tired of my friends immediately suggesting Undertale to people as if it's the best thing since sliced bread (if it helps, I also roll my eyes every time someone immediately tells me to play OoT being that I'm, y'know, working on that right now)

Why would I lie about game consoles I didn't have? If I didn't have an access to them, then why would I ask for suggestions for them? I mean there would be no way to play them if that were the case.

Thanked by:
Well...there's always emulation. Pretty much my go to method for hardware from the PS1 era and before, since they're no longer supported. Savestates are useful for design bullshit too, like long games that have no save feature, or games that send you all the way back to the beginning of the game if you die, or use a password system. I basically use them as a battery save, and checkpoint that would normally exist in the more well designed games, like in the middle of a level or just before a boss.