Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Manual of Style
Is there a list of guidelines for submissions of sheets and archives?

I looked around but I couldn't seem to find any official notes on the matter.

The icons I understand, 148x125 for sheets, 240x125 for games...
What I want to know is about things like naming conventions for archives with hundreds of files.

If for example I have a script that unpacks a few hundred or more sprites, all from different characters, is it necessary to really rename each individual frame per character per animation etc, or is it OK to simply number them and put then in a folder/archive with the character's name?

If a sprite is ripped with a natural width and height of 64x64 pixels, but the image it contains is only 33x33, leaving a lot of blank space, is it necessary to crop it?
Is it preferred to leave such sprites unaltered, to ensure no flaws result?

If a sprite sheet naturally includes "pure black" as its transparent index, is it still necessary to replace it with some other color? (I've heard pure black should be avoided in spritesheets)

I think it would be nice if there was a set of general guidelines, somewhere easily accessible like the FAQ and such in the site's footer. (or even a forum category obviously demarcated for site-specific rules and guidelines. I've been around for years and still can't readily find those, so I just keep a low profile. Just found the forum rules.)
Thanked by:
The wiki has some guidelines, but I think most of what you're asking about is up to ripper preference with the exception of the pure black transparent index. For that, I believe that's only acceptable for something like NES sprites (see games like Dragon Warrior/Quest for an example of what I mean).
[Image: 76561198119420747.png]
Thanked by:
Yeah, I mean you can rename the frames for a zip file but it isn't totally necessary. If something is ripped with a 64x64 frame size, I'd advise keeping it but if you'd rather not then that's fine too.

Try to avoid pure black where you can, since obviously the black can be in a sprite. but some games force black backgrounds.

Looking forward to seeing what you've got in mind. If you need help with some examples, let us know Smile
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Skyla Doragono