Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping sprites from Undertale?
How would one rip sprites from the game?

It's a Game-Maker game, so I assume it used some sort of weird format.
I like to make models in my free time. I also make weird games, too.
Thanked by:
I'm actually interested to know if this is possible. Battle sprites usually have unseen black outlines that are visible when there are background elements, and then some enemies have animated parts, so ripping them from screenshots isn't really the best way.
Thanked by:
Battle sprites have black outlines? Never guessed.

There's also another issues, the creator of the game doesn't want people to rip sprites due to spoiler issues and such.

If I ever do rip any sprites, I'll wait 'till the game's hype tones down, so I can somewhat respect his opinion of keeping the spoiler-tastic sprites secret.
Thanked by:
Oh, then yeah, don't even rip them if the creator is asking for them not to be.
Thanked by:
That's disappointing that the creator requested not to rip from it. Definitely avoid it if that's the case.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by:
The really sad thing is that...

Eventually people will rip them. That's just how people work.
Sad

Thanked by:
Yeah, Toby Fox did leave this note in the sprite files (checked for myself, so I can verify) so I think I'll respect his wishes and not accept anything from the game for a year.
Thanked by: Dazz, Laviathan4041
Can we rip them for at least private use?

Thanked by:
(10-14-2015, 09:29 PM)OS-PRIME Wrote: Can we rip them for at least private use?
Of course private use is fine (there's nothing stopping you, really). I just won't be allowing the sprite rips on tSR for now.
Thanked by:
He has stated that it's acceptable to upload the normal, non-spoilery stuff. Just saying, in case you particularly want to rip from the game and show the basic sprites off.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

You're part of me, it's so easy to see the simple truth
When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by: Skyla Doragono, Ton
(10-15-2015, 06:39 AM)Dazz Wrote: He has stated that it's acceptable to upload the normal, non-spoilery stuff. Just saying, in case you particularly want to rip from the game and show the basic sprites off.
The sprite sheets wouldn't be complete in that case, but I suppose it could be done that way. But what's to say what's spoiler-related and what's not? (I still haven't encountered Asgore yet, for instance, I'm pretty sure just his sprites would be a spoiler.)

Not to mention that even the main character's "true" name is a spoiler. (I'm 6 hours into the game and I haven't discovered that for myself yet.)
Thanked by:
I suppose that's true. I think we should all just wait.
Tsunami Bomb - The Simple Truth
We could run away
Leave behind anything paper
Not knowing where we're going to stay
When there's no Mondays

When I'm in your arms, I feel safe from harm and sorrow too
But most of all, nothing couldn't be solved when I'm with you
Thanked by:
Uh, well...technically speaking the question is HOW to do it, and not SHOULD we do it...I've completed the game several times and wish to have the sprites for personal reference use for fanart...
Thanked by:
Depends on if the creator used Gamemaker's standard encryption or went with his own. Or didn't bother. Only way to know is look into the game's assests in the Steam folder.
[Image: 76561198119420747.png]
Thanked by:
Sorry to bump this thread, but I did get the sprites ripped, but due to the issues above, I'm not posting them, and I understand why, too. So many odd sprites.

It's really chaotically done, that's all I'm gonna say.

I did find what looks like an unused NPC base, tho.
Thanked by: