Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Forgotten Video Game Characters.
Shocked 
When you make a video game you want the game to be good. Also the characters. Like with Nintendo with their mario mascot or jumpman as they called him back then. And with sega's sonic, sony's crash bandicoot and more. But some characters dont make it. And thats what we will talk about. Lets start with stanley the bugman. He was a "mario" character. he appeared in donkey kong 3, and is the only human mario character to not live in the mushroom kingdom and in the "real" world. Stanley was a bug exterminator and donkey kong came in and is trying to destroy the greenhouse so stanley attacks the big gorilla and saves the green house. In my opinion stanley should have his own series but, a different type of game. as being a bug exterminator does not sound fun for a video game.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: Mario.gif]
Thanked by: miyabi95_
Man, its just natural that things are forgotten. Not everything becomes Mario, or Planet of the Apes. So many books, films, games, and so forth will be forgotten, irrelevant in 100 years. Its just the progression of things, and though it is unfortunate, it isn't a bad thing. I sit in that generation that doesn't know Mega Man. Many don't know Crash Bandicoot. The important thing is that the documentation exists for people who do care about these things. How many of us know about Azure Dreams? How many of us have played Bastion, or Darkstalkers, or Insurgency? Not everyone will know about Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, or Risen, or Spore. Titan Quest isn't going to stick around, and neither will Valkyria Chronicles. The same stands for all media, and for all things human.
There will be highlights. Its just normal. Its just not feasible to process everything that's happened. I know I wouldn't want to know every little detail in a historic event.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
>puggsoy leaps into thread

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puggsy

Also that old dude from Wario Land 4, Dr. Arewo Stein.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
(09-26-2015, 10:48 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: Man, its just natural that things are forgotten. Not everything becomes Mario, or Planet of the Apes. So many books, films, games, and so forth will be forgotten, irrelevant in 100 years. Its just the progression of things, and though it is unfortunate, it isn't a bad thing. I sit in that generation that doesn't know Mega Man. Many don't know Crash Bandicoot. The important thing is that the documentation exists for people who do care about these things. How many of us know about Azure Dreams? How many of us have played Bastion, or Darkstalkers, or Insurgency? Not everyone will know about Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee, or Risen, or Spore. Titan Quest isn't going to stick around, and neither will Valkyria Chronicles. The same stands for all media, and for all things human.
There will be highlights. Its just normal. Its just not feasible to process everything that's happened. I know I wouldn't want to know every little detail in a historic event.

It's funny you say that because I know all the things you just mentioned. and i'm a huge casual

If there's people who are passionate about those things, they'll pass on that knowledge to their friends, and those things will catch on.

that's how cult classics are born
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Yeah, but I wasn't trying to reach out there for anything particularly obscure. I'm just saying that its gonna happen regardless.
Thanked by:
hey, why is nobody mentioning little eddy from rabbit on sega saturn. the best dang character ever made.

[Image: little_eddy_620_2-620x.jpg]

he's like kim jong un before anyone ever knew him. adult baby by day, elvis impersonator by night. he also has the ability to summon a boar spirit.

wait how do more people not know about rabbit. it's literally jojo's bizarre adventure but "bizarre" actually taken literally, where people have stands based on chinese mythology, but they look so hilariously awkward. Eddy has a boar, and other characters have like a tex avery wolf and a big stupid ox. I think you can even take their stands and use them in later matches, too

it's made by a company called "Aorn" which is literally a startup company that existed only to put out this game. EA (yes, Electronic Arts, THAT EA) pretty much 100% funded Aorn so it's like they pretty much sprung up the company JUST so they could release games in Japan

wait seriously no one knows about Rabbit? Oh yeah, because it's an extremely obscure game for the Sega Saturn, making it doubly obscure

(09-27-2015, 03:19 AM)psychospacecow Wrote: Yeah, but I wasn't trying to reach out there for anything particularly obscure. I'm just saying that its gonna happen regardless.

ye but the post came off as "all obscure stuff is meant to be forgotten, so let me just shut down the conversation right here with this fat statement" which is....eh you could've danced around it a bit instead of nearly shooting down the poor guy's topic

(09-26-2015, 10:48 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: I sit in that generation that doesn't know Mega Man. Many don't know Crash Bandicoot.

good lord ur generation is stupid
good thing the massively popular candy crush will live on forever and reduce mario to a low-quality indie platformer on android someday LOL
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Kriven
I dunno, dude... you're 19. I've got friends in your age group, I see my siblings' friends. They all know about Mega Man and Crash... They have for a while. You're also right on the tail end of MMX and the beginnings of Legends, MMZ and MMZX... and for Crash, he didn't really go away until the current generation.

Characters like Ty, I can see your generation not readily recognizing. Glover, Croc...

Anyway, my favorite forgotten retro character is Dino Riki from the NES title of the same name. He's pretty high up on my "If I could revive" fantasy list.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
[Image: 20090404094809?path-prefix=en]

pls

not that ''forgotten'', seeing his assist role in the smash 4 and the special ''murasame'' mode in samurai warriors 3, but this guy and his series really need a re-boot.

[Image: hnMDWvN.png]
Thanked by: supersmashball
I go extremely out of my way to learn about forgotten things. Especially important things that changed the history of that medium. Not many people know who Ub Iwerks was but without him Walt Disney would've gotten no where!

Yes with Nintendo I like to learn about all their works, including their origins with Hanafuda cards.

Anyway, I'd like to see the stars of Shin Onigashima (Donbe and Hikari) make more appearances. They're an awesome brother-sister duo. They're a more natural duo than Ice Climbers in my opinion.

(09-27-2015, 08:11 AM)Kosheh Wrote: hey, why is nobody mentioning little eddy from rabbit on sega saturn. the best dang character ever made.

[Image: little_eddy_620_2-620x.jpg]

he's like kim jong un before anyone ever knew him. adult baby by day, elvis impersonator by night. he also has the ability to summon a boar spirit.

wait how do more people not know about rabbit. it's literally jojo's bizarre adventure but "bizarre" actually taken literally, where people have stands based on chinese mythology, but they look so hilariously awkward. Eddy has a boar, and other characters have like a tex avery wolf and a big stupid ox. I think you can even take their stands and use them in later matches, too

it's made by a company called "Aorn" which is literally a startup company that existed only to put out this game. EA (yes, Electronic Arts, THAT EA) pretty much 100% funded Aorn so it's like they pretty much sprung up the company JUST so they could release games in Japan

wait seriously no one knows about Rabbit? Oh yeah, because it's an extremely obscure game for the Sega Saturn, making it doubly obscure

(09-27-2015, 03:19 AM)psychospacecow Wrote: Yeah, but I wasn't trying to reach out there for anything particularly obscure. I'm just saying that its gonna happen regardless.

ye but the post came off as "all obscure stuff is meant to be forgotten, so let me just shut down the conversation right here with this fat statement" which is....eh you could've danced around it a bit instead of nearly shooting down the poor guy's topic

(09-26-2015, 10:48 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: I sit in that generation that doesn't know Mega Man. Many don't know Crash Bandicoot.

good lord ur generation is stupid
good thing the massively popular candy crush will live on forever and reduce mario to a low-quality indie platformer on android someday LOL

Didn't mean to come off like that. I was trying to say it could really be anything. Course, I write stuff like that when I'm more tired than not so I can't say I'm surprised.

Big Grin

(09-27-2015, 08:40 AM)Kriven Wrote: I dunno, dude... you're 19. I've got friends in your age group, I see my siblings' friends. They all know about Mega Man and Crash... They have for a while. You're also right on the tail end of MMX and the beginnings of Legends, MMZ and MMZX... and for Crash, he didn't really go away until the current generation.

Characters like Ty, I can see your generation not readily recognizing. Glover, Croc...

Anyway, my favorite forgotten retro character is Dino Riki from the NES title of the same name. He's pretty high up on my "If I could revive" fantasy list.

Now that I think about it actually, there is a pretty decent reason why I know about a lot of these guys that people I went to school with didn't, but that's a bit personal.

I think I'll go with Razzly from Chrono Cross.

[Image: 300?cb=20090519213939]
Thanked by:
It's pretty exciting when old video game characters get "revived" briefly. Even if it's only for a single appearance. Who knew the christing Duck Hunt dog would work so well in Smash Bros? Or how about Battletoads' Rash in Killer Instinct?

I think Earthworm Jim is pretty well remembered, but man wouldn't it be cool to see that Groovy Dude back? I actually rewatched the old cartoon like a few months ago, and it's really silly and corny in places, but I can't say I didn't get a few chuckles out of it all. It had such a great cast, with winners like "Professor Monkey-For-A-Head", "Evil the Cat", "Bob the Killer Goldfish" and "The Evil Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed, Slug-for-a-Butt". I always hear rumours for a new Earthworm Jim, and honestly I don't know if they'll ever nut up and make an actual new one, but I'd totally be down for more cow launching.
hey i havent had a signature for a while
hi my name is Davis or Ark Kuvis or Megaluigi4 (its been years since I gone by that one)
i talk about video games a lot and i mostly lurk vg resource
hey if you like my posts why not up rep me that'd be cool thanks =)
Thanked by: senjen
(09-29-2015, 02:02 PM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: It's pretty exciting when old video game characters get "revived" briefly. Even if it's only for a single appearance. Who knew the christing Duck Hunt dog would work so well in Smash Bros? Or how about Battletoads' Rash in Killer Instinct?

I  think Earthworm Jim is pretty well remembered, but man wouldn't it be cool to see that Groovy Dude back? I actually rewatched the old cartoon like a few months ago, and it's really silly and corny in places, but I can't say I didn't get a few chuckles out of it all. It had such a great cast, with winners like "Professor Monkey-For-A-Head", "Evil the Cat", "Bob the Killer Goldfish" and "The Evil Queen Pulsating, Bloated, Festering, Sweaty, Pus-filled, Malformed, Slug-for-a-Butt". I always hear rumours for a new Earthworm Jim, and honestly I don't know if they'll ever nut up and make an actual new one, but I'd totally be down for more cow launching.

Wow, i did not even know they had a earthworm jim cartoon. Shocked And yeah i would also love to see a new earthworm jim game.   Big Grin
[Image: Mario.gif]
Thanked by: senjen
[Image: 2009_02_14_pulseman_03.gif]

Sigh....
[Image: VeM0J5C.gif]
[Image: clVthBd.png]
You may also know me as Giraffe
[Image: Croc_Legend_of_the_Gobbos.jpg]
Almost posted Croc a few days ago, heh. It's been years since I played either of the games, but I had a lot of fun with them and would be excited to see a new game.
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: