Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SSBB Style Core Engine for Mugen
After seeing a slew of failed attempts at creating a fangame in this style, I've decided to throw my own hat into the ring. Here's an excerpt of my topic from another forum:

Current Version
The current version of the SSBB core is Version 3, packaged with SSBB Kirby Beta 3.

Project Intent
This core engine is an effort to create Smash Bros Brawl styled characters for Mugen. This engine is meant to include, but is not limited to including, characters from the actual Smash Bros game, as well as characters that were wanted to be in, but never made it in.

Current Features
Rules
  • Stamina
  • Stock - Select from 1 to 99 lives.
  • Timed - Select from 1 to 99 minutes.

Team Modes
  • Team Battle
  • Free For All

Gameplay Mechanics
  • Ability to turn Tap Jump ON or OFF (using the UP key to jump).
  • Perfect Guard implemented.
  • Footstool Hopping implemented.
  • Most basics (attacks, specials, throws, dodges, rolls, etc) implemented.
  • Results screen implemented.
  • Most stage mechanics implemented.

Current Stages
  • Final Destination

Current Roster
The next couple of listings are characters and stages that I have found a decent sprite sheet for, but have yet to integrate into the SSBB core.

Prospective Stages
  • Onett

Prospective Roster
  • Mr. Game & Watch by Arthur
  • Ness by NarutoNU
  • Jigglypuff by Sponge
  • Mewtwo by CheddarX
  • Paper Mario by HyperSonic
  • Squirtle (with Pokemon Trainer) by Joshr

Still Needed
  • Items (I've brainstormed the basic theory behind adding this in, though. Final Smashes will also fall under this category).
  • AI.
  • Better hitsparks and effects.
  • Basics for transforming characters (Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Zelda/Shiek, Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon, etc).
  • Basics for projectile reflection.
  • A weight statistic per character, so heavier characters will not be knocked back as far.

Notes
  • The attempt is to not only make characters using this core be able to interact with each other, but also be compatable with regular Mugen characters.
  • Regular Mugen characters are not compatable with any of the stages compatable with the SSBB core, and as such, should not be used in these stages.
  • When using characters in this core, you will need to increase the maximum number of Explods that your Mugen can display. This number can be found in your mugen.cfg file.
  • Mugen does not support camera zoom. This core will emulate Fixed Camera mode in Brawl. Characters can be scaled down to interact with larger stages, however, as far as I know, the largest stage possible is always going to be 320x240 pixels.
  • The wall/platform detection isn't perfect. Sometimes characters can fall through the platform and be pushed to the outside.
  • Odd things may happen when a round ends. This is normal behavior due to the various ways victory can be achieved through each of the different sets of Rules.

Bug Fixes Needed
  • The results screen is too short. The time spent there needs to be expanded.
  • Some hitsparks still appear in the wrong spots due to the character scaling.

Current WIP Screenshots
[Image: ss_ssbbkirby6.png]
[Image: ss_ssbbkirby7.png]
[Image: ss_ssbbkirby8.png]
[Image: ss_ssbbkirby9.png]
[Image: ss_ssbbkirby10.png]

This topic will be updated as progress is made on this project. Do us all a favor and do NOT flood this topic with character requests. I will make this clear right now: I do NOT plan on porting over "ZOMG Naruto" and anime characters into this core, as I feel they have no place in it. That's all for now.

The reason I'm posting this here is because most, if not all, of the sprites I am using for this project are from members of these boards and this site, mainly from the Smash Bros Project. Whenever a decent completed sheet is posted, I plan on implementing that character into this core as well.

The characters and stages will be accessible from my site. If this is not the proper place for this, please let me know.
Thanked by:
Believe me, most of us are mature enough not to request. In fact, we hate them. So don't do it, either, k?

As far as this thing goes, it looks pretty cool, but the text and some of the HUDs in those screens really bother me. I hope it's just the screen size distorting it.

I don't feel like downloading this thing right now. I'll do it and comment later...
Thanked by:
(10-27-2008, 12:35 PM)Geo the Fox Wrote: As far as this thing goes, it looks pretty cool, but the text and some of the HUDs in those screens really bother me. I hope it's just the screen size distorting it.

The HUD is very basic. I'm a coder, not a graphics expert, so there really wasn't much I could do in that category since it's just me working on this thing. The game's native resolution is 320x240, but you can scale it up to 640x480 and scale down the in game sprites to make them appear in a higher resolution. That was not the case with a majority of those HUD elements.

As far as characters go, I only plan on asking permission to use a sprite set, not on begging for one like some of the people I've seen on here do. Rolleyes
Thanked by:
Question, will you add any of the Tales of Series characters?
Thanked by:
Screenshots look good. Also thank you for using my Paper Mario sprites
Thanked by:
(11-05-2008, 02:35 PM)Azu Wrote: Question, will you add any of the Tales of Series characters?

I've never played the game, so probably not.
Thanked by:
Also I found an awesome Rayman you can use if you want:
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2002/...iew3aa.png

Also if you want better attacks for it, check out my SSF2 expansion. Has lots of cool stuff you can use
http://ssf2expansion.yforum.biz/group-ex...-t2469.htm
Thanked by:
Big GrinI'm kinda making one of these too. mines called Super Smash bros. 17
Thanked by:
I really like the idea, I think this has great potential
[Image: badger.gif][Image: badger.gif][Image: badger.gif][Image: badger.gif][Image: badger.gif][Image: badger.gif]Not these danged things.... Cry
Thanked by:
This is a MUGEN like Engine, correct?

The will you be able to make/add other Characters, Stages, and Music?
Thanked by:
(11-14-2008, 08:47 AM)HyperSonic92 Wrote: Also I found an awesome Rayman you can use if you want:
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2002/...iew3aa.png

That link doesn't work.

(11-22-2008, 12:25 PM)Rags Wrote: This is a MUGEN like Engine, correct?

The will you be able to make/add other Characters, Stages, and Music?

This is actually IN Mugen, so yes.
Thanked by:
This looks awesome, you just need to fix the pixel stretching that's in the screenshots.
Thanked by:
Lol hmm That awesome SSBB game
Hello That it Bowser Jr
Thanked by: CeeY
(09-14-2009, 02:59 PM)Bowser .Jr Wrote: Lol hmm That awesome SSBB game
Great necro-posting.
Gifts
[ PK - TomGuycott - MoneyMan ]
Thanked by: DioShiba
Hey, need any help with it? I'd love to be part of this.. Big Grin
I've got a fancy little website, if you'd like to click here and check it out.
Thanked by: