Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Dairantou: Smash Bros.
After seeing Super Smash Land, I thought 'hey that's an amusing concept - but those sprites are horrid!' With this in mind, I started to making tile mockups for my own GB Smash Bros. There are some limitations:

1- The character designs are based on their latest appearance in 1992-1993. This means, Fox and Yoshi is out (the latter because he had no enough moves at the time to qualify).
2- The entire game asset shall fit in this tiny 256x256 image. This means, tiles will be recycled (just like they were in old games).
3- I can only use another 256x256 block if the first one is completely full.
4- Palette is of course 4 colors: black, gray, light gray and white. Sprites must abide to 3 colors + alpha transparency rule.

[Image: aJAwudo.png]

I'll be working on this as I feel like it
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
This is awesome!
[Image: b1.php?u=39480955]
Quote:You had wasted MY LIFE... waiting for just a goddamn bunnelby model.
-The prestigious Farlavor
Thanked by:
Very nice so far, main critique i'd give is to focus more on readability and features with the faces. it's difficult to work with at such a small size though, so it's understandable.

[Image: mHyH1qN.png]

Took a shot at making link a bit more readable and resembling of his 1993 link's awakening design. Focusing on larger shapes helps with readability a lot. Kirby, Samus and DK came out really nicely cuz of this.

also include prince of sable from kaeru no tame ni(1992)
(09-02-2015, 07:40 PM)Gors Wrote: 1- The character designs are based on their latest appearance in 1992-1993. This means, Fox and Yoshi is out (the latter because he had no enough moves at the time to qualify).

Regarding this, how do you justify including Captain Falcon? The only exposure he had at the time was being able to drive an F-Zero car. Unless you base his moveset solely around that, you're going to have to make up some moves for him just as Nintendo had to do to include him in SSB64.
That being said, if you're going to be making up moves for Falcon, why can't you make them up for Yoshi as well?
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
c. falcon´s inclusion was because of two factors: 1- He was designed to be the SNES mascot when he was created, so he was relevant for the staff at the time, and 2- it is said that his moveset was already created in the very first SSB beta, the Dragon King - Falcon just inherited the moveset from a random fighter. If Sakurai could think on a slow but punishing style for his very first fighting game, I guess he´d do it in 1993 too.
As for Yoshi, since it is already tied to a bigger being (Mario), i think the devs would discard it due to series over-representation (at the time yoshi was a mere powerup to mario - it´d only get the moves later when Yoshi´s Island is released).
[edit] nice Link! certainly looks much better
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: recme, Shawn, SchAlternate, Virt