Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Trying to Rip GBC Sprites
Hey there! It's that little green horse you all love so much. :h:

So, I'm trying to rip sprites from WWF Betrayal  for the GBC. Only problem? I don't know how to. I tried using YY-CHR, but some of the tiles were kinda buggy and/or static-ish. Then I tried using Visual Boy Advance's Debug features, but they only got me a few sprites and let me tell ya: when it comes to sprite ripping, this pegasus tries his hardest to rip every single frame and tile he can find.

If anyone can help me out on how I can rip GBC sprites, I'd appreciate it. Big Grin
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
The most common way is just hard-ripping, disabling layers and screenshotting.

The other method is ripping the tiles, which unless you know what you're doing will probably not get you anywhere. Even if you do, some games are just not put together in a way that allows it. That said, if you do manage it it can be a lot cleaner and quicker than hard-ripping.

Unfortunately both of these take a good amount of time and effort that you just have to be willing to put into it.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: DogToon64
The second method is the one I've been using to rip SNES Sprites for a while. Wink But when it comes to ripping GBC sprites (Especially from the game that I mentioned in my previous post.), what particular tools or emulator do I need?
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
When I said tile-ripping, I meant using a tile viewer like YY-CHR or Tile Molester. If you go for hard-ripping though, I'm pretty sure VBA is the best emulator you can get for GBC.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Well, as I said in my original post, when I tried using YY-CHR the tiles came out rather buggy. I would try using Tile Molester, but there's one small problem...
The program requires Java in order for it to open, and I don't think I have that on my computer.

All I want to do is rip sprites from WWF Betrayal, but bad luck strikes me in the face when I try to find a way to rip said sprites! In the words of Homer Simpson, "Why must life be so damn hard?" Cry
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
You probably should have Java... it's quite common and somewhat of a necessity these days. The tiles will come out buggy either way though, you have to mess around with the settings to get the tiles looking the way you want.

Hard ripping might be easier though, I would suggest going with that to get more direct results if you don't want to go through the trouble of using a tile viewer.
Thanked by:
The thing is it requires a certain type of Java to open, and apparently I must have an older version because when I tried to open it with the "Choose a program to open this file" window, it didn't appear; nor did it show up in its folders when I manually browsed it.

I tried hard-ripping before, but it only got me single frames of the sprites I want and I want to rip all the frames. (Though I'm probably doing something wrong.)
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Usually you'd either pause the game and step through frames or use something like AnimGet or ScreenGet (available here). Either way you do have to grab individual frames, it's a process and takes time.
Thanked by: