Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Skype Randomly Mutes Microphone
When I'm on a Skype call, sometimes my computer microphone gets muted automatically. I'm fairly certain that it's Skype causing it somehow, but it's not only in Skype.
[Image: 9H7sg1R.png]
This is what it usually looks like, but it randomly goes to this:
[Image: Hkve2It.png]

Does anyone know what's going on?
Thanked by:
Assuming it only happens when Skype is running and you're in an active call, you can try disabling the auto-mic adjustments in Skype's preferences. It could be that it's picking something up that it detects as very loud and compensates by lowering your input volume until it normalizes. Since I doubt you're talking from an active construction site while sitting on a jack hammer, this loud "noise" it hears is likely feedback and it doesn't normalize until the input is completely disabled. I can't think of any other cause but if this fixes it, you may want to look into replacing your headset/mic.
Thanked by:
Skype's auto adjust settings are off. It happens with both my computer's internal mic and a separate USB mic.
Thanked by:
Is it only during Skype calls though or does it also happen at random? Is there maybe a button or keyboard shortcut on your computer (probably only applicable if it's a laptop) that you might be hitting by mistake?
Thanked by:
It's not only during Skype calls, so I guess it's not Skype's fault. And no, it just randomly happens even when I'm not doing anything. No keyboard shortcuts or buttons anywhere.
Thanked by:
In your running process list, do you have any svchost.exe entries running under your username (or any account that isn't SYSTEM)?
Thanked by:
Nope. I do not.
Thanked by:
A bit of research shows that this is most often caused by malware of some sort. I'd run a full scan with Malwarebytes and then, if the problem persists, ComboFix. The lack of rogue svchosts makes this a little less likely though. In the mean time, can I get the make and model of your computer? Could be something model-specific that will be easier to find with the right search terms. Driver updates for the audio hardware and any utility buttons on the computer may also help.
Thanked by:
I have a Latitude E6400. Evidently other people with this laptop build have this problem, too, but I don't know what the solution is.
Thanked by:
Okay, I checked with the model and I'm not seeing a trend to suggest that this is a model-specific issue. I'd go ahead with the virus scans and driver updates (you can get them from support.dell.com - just search using your service tag which should be on the bottom of the laptop).
Thanked by:
Well now it SAYS it's muted but people on Skype can still hear me. I'm very confused but it seems like the problem is fixed...?
What I did is try to install a new driver from the Dell website, but it says it failed.

So.........
Thanked by:
Make sure you're downloading the right version for your computer. There are often 32 and 64-bit drivers available. Putting in your service tag will bring you to the correct download page but you'll need to make sure it auto-detects the right OS. Though, I suppose if it's working and just not displaying correctly, maybe it's better to just leave well enough alone.
Thanked by:
Yeah, I put in the service tag and there was only one download option available.

I'll just leave it alone for now. If it's a trouble again later, I'll have to find another solution but I'll stick with this for now.
Thanked by:
Nevermind, I restarted my computer and now it's broken again. I don't know what to do.
Thanked by:
I don't know what to tell ya. Skype seems to run on just about everything now though, so there's that.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: